1968 Newport Turn Signal Switch

Ghostultramarine

Reaction score
I have a question about the turn signal “switch”(?).

It might not be the correct term. It’s the part that cancels the turn signal when you turn the wheel.

I just got a 1968 Newport convertible without tilt and telescopic, and the cancellation switch is not working.

What part do I need and where may I get it?

I’m in Canada, so if there are any leads for here, too, that may be advantageous (but shipping cost may not be that much different).

Might check to see that the springs in the switch are still there. If not, then you might get some GM springs to see if they might work. "R" and "L" springs, which are different colors.

Just a possibility,
CBODY67

Thank you for the advice.

I have not pulled it apart, but I was wondering where I would find the springs in there? Is it not a plastic piece? Like this:

oer-md2139_xl.jpg

They might be on the plastic piece that the pictured item attaches to, I suspect.

The first thing you need to do is remove your steering wheel to see what's going on with the switch. I suspect one or both of the plastic cancel fingers broke off due to the plastic getting old & brittle. If that's the case you're probably in for a new switch, gluing them back on likely won't hold for long. You have to be wary when buying replacement switches on 68's, they used 2 different switches depending depending on who made the column. Given the prices on replacement switches, you may want to decide if you want to live with it if that's the only problem.

Back