1968 plymouth fury III PX23G8D243539 project

oh ya , and ive had this ride 1 year now!

and ive quit smoking for 1 year now. after 29 years of marlboro reds and swisher sweets.

w00t me!

e cigs ftw!

Good for you, congrats. Swisher sweets were always part of our racing ritual in rural ND/SD back in the day... Dark county road at 2am, Camaros and Chevelles and Monte Carlos and my old big-*** Fury that could beat most them, all sitting around with the hoods up, engines cooling down, looking at the stars and smoking those damn things. Nice memories but I don't miss coughing all that crap out.

Bad *** I'm thinking of getting a set of those myself.

The plates. IL didn't specify 'what' plates when they wrote the law to OK YOM plates hahaha and I've always liked the black hemisfair plates. I lived in TX for 12 years :)

cool deal i got my torsion bar tool, they had it to me in 2 days..from that link above ^^.

it looks alot like a handlebar gooseneck for a bicycle, a poor man could probably rig that up.

now i need my snap ring pliers and i think we'll give the ol torsion bars a shot this weekend.

saylor

Just use a flat blade screw driver and carefully dig the clip out. No pliers needed.

cool deal i got my torsion bar tool, they had it to me in 2 days..from that link above ^^.

it looks alot like a handlebar gooseneck for a bicycle, a poor man could probably rig that up.

now i need my snap ring pliers and i think we'll give the ol torsion bars a shot this weekend.

saylor

Just use a flat blade screw driver and carefully dig the clip out. No pliers needed.

I didn't even need a screwdriver, they practically fell out. They are easy to remove that is the simple part. Word of advice when the torsion bar is loose and you pulling it out the rest of the way don't smash you finger between it and the frame (ouch my finger was numb for 3 weeks, I thought I took the end of my finger off)

I didn't even need a screwdriver, they practically fell out. They are easy to remove that is the simple part. Word of advice when the torsion bar is loose and you pulling it out the rest of the way don't smash you finger between it and the frame (ouch my finger was numb for 3 weeks, I thought I took the end of my finger off)
You too???

Posted via Topify on Android

ok for those of you following along:
the torsion bar tool screw holes were not perfect - i had to take the 1/4-20 bolts that came with it and work them in with oil, then back out, then in some more, until it threaded pretty well.

the snap clip rings at the back end of the torsion bar is INSIDE the hole, not OUTSIDE. spray lube in there and then dig around with a screwdriver and you will find them.

the tool made it very easy to pop the bars loose.

so now im down to the pitman arm. its like a 1 5/16 nut or something equally stupidly large.
i cant get enough huevos on it to get it to break loose. anyone know any secrets?

i get this steering arm off, and that will be it - the whole thing will be undone and i can carry it to the shop to get the stuff pressed in.

let me know how you did it!
- saylor

I use large large socket,1/2 inch breaker bar and extension pipe on the bar. You will need a special tool to pull the pitman off the shaft.

I know you all need pictures... heres the passenger side explode-o-view
pass-side-undone.jpg
check out the floor jack I got today.
so I was at autozone taking back the piece of crap jack I had because it wouldn't keep a lift. the little 39 dollar jack. ive been thru 2-3 of them already. it seems like if you leave it outside, it fails. anyways there was this larger lift for $150 at but it was mismarked at 99 bucks.
Then they gave me $69 credit for the one I returned.

I got that bad boy for $32 bucks.

pass-side-undone.jpg

hey I was sitting here staring at this pic, and I remembered I needed to ask everyone - how the hell do you unscrew the bump stop? I cant get a socket in there, and an open end/box wrench wrench slipped off.

do I need like a crows foot wrench?

It's probably locked on there solid from rust. Hack it off.
I used an air chisel but I'm guessing you don't have one.

Posted via Topify on Android

I used a standard 3/8 drive socket. Not deep well. And the 3/8 breaker bar. You have to make short turns. It does come off thought. The other one mounted on the upper control arm you can use normal tools on it.

hey I was sitting here staring at this pic, and I remembered I needed to ask everyone - how the hell do you unscrew the bump stop? I cant get a socket in there, and an open end/box wrench wrench slipped off.

do I need like a crows foot wrench?

aight the arms are at the shop getting vat cleaned then bushings and ball joints installed. I don't get them back til next week - the guy is going to a swap meet this weekend. hopefully not with my arms and spindles :)

steering-box-connectors.jpg

steering-column-firewall.jpg
steering-links.jpg
some pics for ya. on the steering box - you have to take your old return connecto valve and move it to the new box, don't exchange your core w/o pulling this off first...

steering-box-connectors.jpg

steering-column-firewall.jpg

steering-links.jpg

commando you were right I had to hack the bump stops off the arms. I got a cutting wheel for the dremel and got after it.

Back