1969 chrysler 300 conv convertible - $3600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, potential for leaks.

Now thats just silly..... I have had convertibles off and on since the 70's.... Love them..! The only leak issues I have ever had, (with the top up), was at the front header when driving in a hard rain. An easy fix.

Ruined interiors and rusty floors come from outside storage with a ragged top.... Hardtops don't leak.....? How come their floors rust out....?

Drive a convertible for awile and you'll soon experience a completely different level of automotive pleasures. The benefits of enjoying a convertible far out weigh a few leaks. From the obvious sun and wind in your hair, (No offence to the bald guys), to a whole new level of attention from young and old alike. People smile.... wave.... ask about the car... You can sense the envy as you drive off.
There are also rules for convertibles that don't pertain to closed cars. Never leave loose papers, magazines or important items in the car.... They will dissapear..! (Although every leaf in the state will blow in). Always carry towels.... To cover the seats so you don't blister yourself when leaving the car parked in the sun.... And to dry yourself off when you get wet. (This will happen, it's just part of the experience). Also carry a lap robe for passengers in the back. A hot sunny day that turns into a cool evening is no reason to put the top up. Wide brim hats and sunscreen are manditory also.
Not everyone is a convertible person, but those who own them know what i'm sayin.... Just smile and wave.

:yaayy:

I had a convert for a few years in the mid-90s - not a C-body but a very nice '64 Buick Skylark. There are definite pros and cons to owning one.

The pros: Nothing more cool than driving around with the top down on a nice day. Even better if you get warm nights. My favorite times were on the relatively few nights it was warm enough to keep the top down after dark. Those drives were fabulous. Also, with the top down, you generally do not hear the little rattles and buzzes that can drive you crazy.

The cons: Far more numerous. Cowl shake is something you soon learn to live with, as it is tough to make any convertible as rigid as a closed car. They are generally pretty flexible. You also smell every other car that has a problem and wonder if that is yours. Up here, there were precious few days every summer that you could comfortable drive with the top down. Yes, there is a heater, but the wind rapidly makes it useless. Some ladies hated driving in it because it messed up their hair. You had to put the top up every time you parked and left it in a place you didn't trust or could not keep an eye on it. Driving one with the top up rapidly causes it to lose its charm - noisy, drafty, and those rattles you couldn't hear with the top down come back with a vengeance. And finally, rain.

Yes, it looked really cool. But I'm glad I got the convertible bug out of my system.

And rarely see a 1969 Imperial.
You mean one of these? Picture 003.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

I had a convert for a few years in the mid-90s - not a C-body but a very nice '64 Buick Skylark. There are definite pros and cons to owning one.

The pros: Nothing more cool than driving around with the top down on a nice day. Even better if you get warm nights. My favorite times were on the relatively few nights it was warm enough to keep the top down after dark. Those drives were fabulous. Also, with the top down, you generally do not hear the little rattles and buzzes that can drive you crazy.

The cons: Far more numerous. Cowl shake is something you soon learn to live with, as it is tough to make any convertible as rigid as a closed car. They are generally pretty flexible. You also smell every other car that has a problem and wonder if that is yours. Up here, there were precious few days every summer that you could comfortable drive with the top down. Yes, there is a heater, but the wind rapidly makes it useless. Some ladies hated driving in it because it messed up their hair. You had to put the top up every time you parked and left it in a place you didn't trust or could not keep an eye on it. Driving one with the top up rapidly causes it to lose its charm - noisy, drafty, and those rattles you couldn't hear with the top down come back with a vengeance. And finally, rain.

Yes, it looked really cool. But I'm glad I got the convertible bug out of my system.

No wonder you got rid of it, too many bad experiences of which I have none of.

The convertible adventure....

No wonder you got rid of it, too many bad experiences of which I have none of.

Me either.... Not sure what "cowl shake" is. Both my convertibles are tight and squeek/rattle free.
These cars were designed and engineered with a lot of strength intregerty. They had to for warranty reasons amoung others. The buying public would never put up with squeeky, drafty, leaky cars. Open cars have been around much longer then closed cars.

I suspect that most who have had bad experiences in convertibles were in some sort of old piece of crap and attribute the experience to all convertibles.

I've been caught in two rain showers with the top down this summer. As long as I could maintain 60 MPH I stayed dry..... Now THATS fun....! BUT..... Sometimes you do get wet...... Just a part of the convertible experience. But I suppose some pansy's are uncomfortable when some water gets in the vent window and splashes on them. Yes... Convertibles arn't for everyone.... Can's help but pity those who have never enjoyed the experience

Me either.... Not sure what "cowl shake" is. Both my convertibles are tight and squeek/rattle free.
These cars were designed and engineered with a lot of strength intregerty. They had to for warranty reasons amoung others. The buying public would never put up with squeeky, drafty, leaky cars. Open cars have been around much longer then closed cars.

I suspect that most who have had bad experiences in convertibles were in some sort of old piece of crap and attribute the experience to all convertibles.

I've been caught in two rain showers with the top down this summer. As long as I could maintain 60 MPH I stayed dry..... Now THATS fun....! BUT..... Sometimes you do get wet...... Just a part of the convertible experience. But I suppose some pansy's are uncomfortable when some water gets in the vent window and splashes on them. Yes... Convertibles arn't for everyone.... Can's help but pity those who have never enjoyed the experience

Hmmm, well that's nice. Those who've had problems with convertibles had old piece of crap cars. If convertibles from that era were as trouble free as you want to believe, I think there would have been more on the road, however and not surprisingly, it seems convertibles made up but a small sliver of all cars manufactured by Chrysler (heck, the big three) during that period. Got to be a reason there - I mean who in their right mind would not want the perceived "cool" factor a convertible car brings.

Most considered it a seasonable car. Many who needed a C needed a family car not a cruiser. Those that bought for speed wanted a rigid roof.
my convedtible does not leak and has minimal road nois. Gary, ill pick you up one day and make a believer out of you.

Most considered it a seasonable car. Many who needed a C needed a family car not a cruiser. Those that bought for speed wanted a rigid roof.
my convedtible does not leak and has minimal road nois. Gary, ill pick you up one day and make a believer out of you.

Hey Dave...............you never took me for a ride. Thinking back....I can't remember riding in a vert ever.

:sad10:

Drive one.....

Hey Dave...............you never took me for a ride. Thinking back....I can't remember riding in a vert ever.

:sad10:

Thats a great idea..... If I were closer i'd let you drive my convertible for awile. Thats really the best way to get the feel for what they are all about.

Convertibles are not the most practical and utilitarian vehicles and some concider them as "excessive or flagrant", but most were always closet admirers. That said, it seems to me that there was a HUGE amount of convertibles produced throughout the 50's, 60's and into the 70's until federal regulation said that having that much fun was to dangerous for us.

There is still no shortage of convertibles. I suppose your geographical location has a lot to do with supply. More likely to find one in Florida then in Montana.

The addage..."If the top goes down- The value goes up" kinda sums it up.

Well, that's very kind of you and I appreciate it and I'm honored - and WILL take you on that. BUT I've already looked at a few, rode in a few, and seen leaks. Your lucky I guess, but lots of people aren't.

Nevertheless, I would love to take a ride in your vert someday, if only to just experience the "cool" factor" in a Polara.

No disrespect intended, and I'm new here, but really... c'mon. If you have owned a Detrot convertible from the '70s or earlier, you have experienced cowl shake. They could never build a convertible that was as rigid as a closed car. Most companies still cannot even today. It is common knowledge. I never knew what the car magazines meant when they wrote about it until I got mine. Then I instantly understood. It's when you drive over a level crossing and the rear view mirror image starts moving from side to side. That's cowl shake.

Not a piece of crap car at all... it was a great car. But all that top frame mechanism tends to move around a bit over bumps, causing some noise, and on the expressway there is no way a typical '60s Detroit unlined top can be as quiet as a closed car. That's just the way it is.

Cowl shake? Really? Perhaps you have had a few bad apples, never heard of anything called cowl shake. My convertible doesnt have cowl shake, even at 110 miles per hour or 30 miles per hour.

I have also had my convertible in a rain storm on my way to Moparfest. It rained from the Lehigh tunnel into Canada, thats 8 hours of thunder, lightning, and driving rain. Not one drop of water came through the header seal.

Ole mechanic's tail......

No disrespect intended, If you have owned a Detroit convertible from the '70s or earlier, you have experienced cowl shake. It is common knowledge.

None taken...... And not common knowledge.... I have owned and driven many 50's, 60's convertibles including GM and Fords and have not experienced what you discribe, nor has anyone I have asked about it. The Mopars seem to be the sturdiest and mine floats over RR crossings with no shake or shudder. I've had passengers remark about how smooth the car rolls over rough spots compaired to their modern cars. "Cowl shake" sounds like something a magazine editor would dream up.

there is no way a typical '60s Detroit unlined top can be as quiet as a closed car. That's just the way it is.

SOOooo true. But no one said they were quiet.

Last edited:
I've put quite a few miles on an unrestored E-body 'vert and never experienced any of those things either and our roads here in Detroit absolutely suck!

Welcome....

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]No disrespect intended.

Non taken Greg, And welcome to the site.

It's obvious that you have experienced some sort of abnormally with your convertible experience. Perhaps a damaged and repaired car....?

I've put quite a few miles on an unrestored E-body 'vert and never experienced any of those things either and our roads here in Detroit absolutely suck!

Hey Matt...... Love to see a picture of that E-body convertible.... It's OK.... It's not bragging if you have one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back