1969 Chrysler 300 no start

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well I'm fresh out of ideas on this one and not too proud to admit it. This car simply wont start, it wont even kick with starter fluid down the carb.
The car is a 440 TNT Chrysler 300 that came here not running but was told it had ignition issues.
So I went through and checked the system a number of times. There was originally a MSD ignition in place and it had plenty of kick (Ask Cbody Bob about this, I think it took me five mins to revive him)
Anyway long story short, we bought a brand new OEM Electronic Ignition system that included a new blue ECU box, new ballast resistor, new distributor and new wiring harness. All of this was installed as per specs (I have done them before but always double check against the instructions anyway)
Hit the ignition to check for spark, yay yes! It's working! So I put some starter fluid down the carb and hit it again, no bueno.
Hmm, double check the timing, got it TDC with the timing mark and also checked the piston to make sure it was at the top of the bore with valves closed (took the rocker cover off), yup, all is correct, so it cant be 180 degrees out. I also checked the timing mark too to make sure the Harmonic balance hadn't slipped. It all looks fine.
So we have compression, we have proper timing, we have proper valve opening and shutting in relation to the piston and we have spark, it should at least fire or something, but there is nothing.
What have I forgotten?

So you're saying it turns over and over but is not starting?
Is it even trying to catch or does it just spin?

Let's TS this first.
Otherwise this will become clear as mud.

Last edited:
Set the distributor rotor to line up with # 1 cylinder and check the timing marks. My guess is it skipped a tooth or three.... wouldn't have to be a 180 out not to fire.

So you're saying it turns over and over but is not starting?
Is it even trying to catch or does it just spin?

Misters Lux and Cbody67, please let the man answer first, ok?
Otherwise this will become clear as mud.
Yup, turns over and over and not starting or even catching.

Set the distributor rotor to line up with # 1 cylinder and check the timing marks. My guess is it skipped a tooth or three.... wouldn't have to be a 180 out not to fire.
With the rocker cover off and checking the piston position to valves opening and shutting it all appears to be fine, and while what you describe is a possibility(There doesn't appear to be any slack in the timing chain when I rock the crank back and forth), I wanted to make sure something much simpler wasn't the issue first. I really don't want to be pulling the water pump, timing cover etc just yet.

What do the plugs look like? I see everything covered except that.

Newport66 hinted at the timing chain, its the only thing i haven't physically observed and that's what is in the back of my mind.

Spark at the plug.
Fuel good.
NOT even catching...
images

It's not igniting the fuel. Why? :realcrazy:

Start by verifying that you have increasing compression on #1 as you approach TDC this verifies that if the rotor points to the #1 plug wire that the distributor is properly oriented. (Both valves can also be closed at the end of the exhaust cycle, also at TDC)

Dave

Start by verifying that you have increasing compression on #1 as you approach TDC this verifies that if the rotor points to the #1 plug wire that the distributor is properly oriented. (Both valves can also be closed at the end of the exhaust cycle, also at TDC)

Dave
Of course!! Four stroke motor! I thought of this the other day and meant to check, then totally forgot!

Back