1969 fury convertible top install

Great looking car. I would love to see more pictures
Look me up on Facebook, I have photo album titled fury project. I have pics from the day I brought it home til paint. I need to add some more. 6 kids keep me pretty busy. But my oldest son did bodywork and paint at the career Center as his Jr/Sr project. Search Lance Whitacre on Facebook, there are only 2. I'm the Verizon one.

do you have a well liner? it may be too tight, not allowing the top to drop far enough.

I think I would raise the top up to the vertical "balance" point and then with another person on the other side, try to form the top between the bows into neat folds. Once the folds are forming properly and the top lowers properly, leave it down so that the folds "set". You can pull the top material without worry of tearing, it's pretty tough stuff. Where you need to be careful is where the top is tacked, if the retainer band is not tight, you could pull the top out , unlikely, but possible. Speaking of the bows, were they adjusted or moved in any way? The relative positioning of the bows will affect how the top "wants" to fold. Any mechanical adjustments of the top framework must be done carefully and with the shop manual. It can be done by eye but your success rate will be about the same as performing a front end alignment by eye - not recommended. :p

Very sunny and warm here today, let the fury sit out in sun for a few hours and top works much better. Still doesn't go down flush, but close. I can get the boot on. I think I'm good to go now. Thanks for all the tips and concern for my issue.

Thanks, yes, I have owned the charger since 1992. Paint was done by high school biotech students. Not sure of paint code, but is original color.

If you look at fender tag it should say E5. I think they started the year codes in 70 so it would be FE5 in 70. May have started in 69 though, can't recall.

If you look at fender tag it should say E5. I think they started the year codes in 70 so it would be FE5 in 70. May have started in 69 though, can't recall.
Paint code is R6 " scorch red".

20170510_223213.jpg

Back