1969 Imperial progress thread

Sounds like a classic Gumption Trap! If only Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance had given good advice for getting out of it.

It's not that I'm not willing to work on the car, but I'm stuck on so many parts right now... I don't think that is the same thing.
It's just a little bit depressing right now.

Sometimes I think getting moving again after you’ve stalled can be a difficult thing to overcome but I’ve always found that if you force yourself to progress that the motivation comes back quickly. If the parts you’re working on now are blocking you then grab something else that you can make progress on and do it and if it’s a little cold well then add another layer and keep moving!:thumbsup:

It's not that I'm not willing to work on the car, but I'm stuck on so many parts right now... I don't think that is the same thing.
It's just a little bit depressing right now.
What's the biggest roadblock with the car at the moment? Maybe we can brainstorm it.

One thing that I have found is to try to do one thing every day, even if that's a just very small piece of the big project.

For example, I have the interior out of the Barracuda. That turned out to be a larger project than I had figured on (mice had their way with the interior). The garage is a bit cold, but there's a few things that I can do inside. The other day I repainted the console top. It didn't take me too long to do, but it accomplished something. The console top is painted.... Granted, the headliner isn't installed and neither is the carpet, but a small piece of the puzzle is done.

It's forward progress.... You know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time....

Sometimes I think getting moving again after you’ve stalled can be a difficult thing to overcome but I’ve always found that if you force yourself to progress that the motivation comes back quickly. If the parts you’re working on now are blocking you then grab something else that you can make progress on and do it and if it’s a little cold well then add another layer and keep moving!:thumbsup:
I did that because I was stuck and now I'm stuck with the new projects as well ;)
Sometimes it's like that and then, one day it clicks and I finish the parts without even knowing how I could even get stuck on them. :D

What's the biggest roadblock with the car at the moment? Maybe we can brainstorm it.
There are no big roadblocks actually. For the most projects, I'm missing parts. I found most of them but have to wait for them.
Other things I have to do in the shop, but it's really to cold in there with no heater in the uninsolated shop.

I will post an update of a few of the unfinished projects I'm working on this weekend for you guys.

One thing that I have found is to try to do one thing every day, even if that's a just very small piece of the big project.

For example, I have the interior out of the Barracuda. That turned out to be a larger project than I had figured on (mice had their way with the interior). The garage is a bit cold, but there's a few things that I can do inside. The other day I repainted the console top. It didn't take me too long to do, but it accomplished something. The console top is painted.... Granted, the headliner isn't installed and neither is the carpet, but a small piece of the puzzle is done.

It's forward progress.... You know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time....

I will try that! Good advice! Better then bury my head in the sand! ;)

Now, I'm asking myself how elephant would taste... :p

I have now forgotten you, I just ended up sorting and reboxing everything. It got a little bit messy over time from working on a lot of small parts here and there...

Well, that was fun! Slow day at work and I re-read the whole thread. Now I'm in a thread hole and need an update on this Imp. Anything new to report?

Hey Guys, thanks for asking.

I did a lot of stuff around my shop in the last month. I had to rent the whole place and find some lodgers. I rearranged the shop because of that and so on...

What's up with the car you ask? Well...
As some of you guys know, I was waiting for replacement sheet metal from another member here from Canada. I was waiting a whole year, was comforted again and again and in the end got screwed by him. Now I don't have the sheet metal and lost a whole year of progress with the body. Fortunately, I never paid him in advance..!

I'm on a point now, where most other big parts have to wait because of room to store finished parts, funding and a bunch of other reasons like a logical order for the project.

First, I have to search for a dutchman panel and a drivers side front floor pan again. So if someone know someone... Please let me know.

From there I can move on making progress on my Imp!

Driver side floor pan.jpg
Dutchman Panel.jpg

Sorry to hear your problems , there is always people who are not so honest.
I have same rust problem in my Baron, so hope you find your part...
Anyway, believe in your doing and keep up the good work :thumbsup: !!
Regards,
Mika

Hey Guys, thanks for asking.

I did a lot of stuff around my shop in the last month. I had to rent the whole place and find some lodgers. I rearranged the shop because of that and so on...

What's up with the car you ask? Well...
As some of you guys know, I was waiting for replacement sheet metal from another member here from Canada. I was waiting a whole year, was comforted again and again and in the end got screwed by him. Now I don't have the sheet metal and lost a whole year of progress with the body. Fortunately, I never paid him in advance..!

I'm on a point now, where most other big parts have to wait because of room to store finished parts, funding and a bunch of other reasons like a logical order for the project.

First, I have to search for a dutchman panel and a drivers side front floor pan again. So if someone know someone... Please let me know.

From there I can move on making progress on my Imp!

View attachment 216255 View attachment 216256

Julian! Its good to hear from you. I've been thinking about you and your Imperial and wondering how things are going. Sorry to hear about the set-back with the parts you tried to get. I think you should give Murray Park a call.

That’s not good to hear. I have always had good luck buying things from forum members but it’s a good reminder that it’s not always that way.

Julian! Its good to hear from you. I've been thinking about you and your Imperial and wondering how things are going. Sorry to hear about the set-back with the parts you tried to get. I think you should give Murray Park a call.

I did that already and he told me honestly that he don't think he has rust free sheet metal that is worth cutting out.

That’s not good to hear. I have always had good luck buying things from forum members but it’s a good reminder that it’s not always that way.

You're right. It's not going smooth everytime. Obviously...

But until now, I never had problems. I bought a lot of parts from members here before and always trusted them without ever regretting it.

Back