1969 Imperial progress thread

Unfortunately I have to say that I also had quite bad experiences with Tobias74 and as Julian already wrote, some other people here in Europe.
I bought the golden 70' Imperial from Tobias (My 1970 Imperial), I will never buy a car from him again. I will start my own post soon.

There is another side to these allegations and I caution anyone to find out all the facts before you make judgments.

First I have to say , I never sold Julian any parts for his car, I told him if I have time I can look in to it and I will give him a price and then I told him the price included shipping to Germany he got upset with me !
I also told him that Murray Park would be an option and he can go and ask them maybe they can do better.
He got some parts shipped from I think C Body Bob to my place in CANADA where I was nice and payed the Costums fees on it what he still is owns me, I was nice and loaded his parts in to the Green Pickel ( 71 Fury)
What I sold as an project car to Germany for €6500 the one from Idaho as a Project Car I lost a fair amount of money on this car, I’m getting tired of all this BS from those German guys over there, they want everything for free pretty much, I want sell anything to Germany any more it doesn’t worth my time!!!
Next thing is also I sold the Imperial to Germany for €8000 I was in to this car around $15000cad it was a great car for me and it drove sweet but not good enough for German standards same with my Red 70 Plymouth Suburban wagon I had I sold the wagon for €4500 to Germany bud was asking me how the car is and I told him is a good wagon for the money, now I received an email from him he wants €4000 back from me the list goes on and on , another one is also I sold 69 300 front and rear bumpers in good driver quality to Germany for €400 both together including shipping and after the GERMAN person received those bumpers she decided they not good for them I gave them the money back the full amount and as my buddy overseas picked those Bumpers up I discovered that my backup lights went missing and the license plate holder also.
I never ever trust a GERMAN again that my point of view Guys.
Thanks for scamming me Julian I’m sure I never will see the money you owe me.
Lesson learned

Ok Tobias to the 70' Imperial, the car drives (not too good, less power than he should have) shifts and brakes. What I don't like, I asked for the electrical things (windows, seats, cruise control, radio, ZV, headlight doors), I asked for heating/air conditioning. I got the answer from you, it all works on the car! And when I picked up the car, 2 windows didn't work at all, radio doesn't work, seats parttime, cruise control not at all (not connected either), heating and air conditioning not, fuel gauge not, odometer not.

What really annoys me is that you changed some parts in the engine compartment (intake, valve cover, air filter etc.) and mounted other rims. I asked you if the original parts would go in the trunk. Your answer yes! But the parts are not there!!!!

Because of the changes in the engine compartment (intake, carburetor, air filter) the hood does not close properly. intake/Carburettor/air filter are too high. As for the performance, full performance does not work, the throttle linkage does not go with the throttle cable to 100%, the kickdown does not work for the same reason.

All this I have told you......and there is not a word from you!!!!!

If you had not told me that everything is ok, I could/must accept that so.
What for me is an absolute nogo, the parts are missing!!!!!

I didn't expect a perfect car, but when I ask if everything works and if the parts are included, then I expect it is so and I also expect that I get answers when I address the things.

Oh yes....construction foam left and right in the trunk.......great idea!!!!

Pretty interesting fellas. I don’t know any of you beyond the confines of this forum(well Julian a little) and I hate to hear of these sorts of things happening especially since all of us know that in the end we(this forum) are a pretty tight community. I hope it can somehow get worked out. I do know that as a guy that builds custom furniture, cabinetry and objects that if my clients aren’t getting exactly what they ordered I wouldnt be around as long as I have been. I hope all you guys making deals overseas or otherwise sight unseen are getting everything that you’re expecting in writing and that agreements are being signed by both parties.

Seems to me that Julian and nitoh can get a cheap flight to Alberta, hire a truck and drive to an auto graveyard with battery powered sawzalls, remove the, required sheetmetal and parts and deliver to a transport company to ship home to Germany.

Easy peasy, then they'll have exactly what they require and can sort out their cars.

I'm 100% with Matt on this, with the exception of a written contract... kinda...

Emails should suffice, but it would be wise to update the email chain when negotiating to include everything agreed upon from time to time. As far as anything more in writing, I don't know if it would be beneficial. Maybe a CC or PP dispute would be better managed with a formal document, but I believe an email holds as much power when the dispute really comes down to condition of items shipped and received (none of them new).

Legal action is pointless, different countries... let alone different jurisdictions... BUT... I do fully support folks informing the membership when something cannot be resolved and a transaction goes sour, that's what the feedback is for.

As to the problems @Tobias74 mentioned... I'd have quit selling before now, but I don't really sell.

As for the others, I may have had less patience and spoke up sooner, left feedback , etc...

Ultimately, I really don't like when our little community has these problems... it has been my experience that most folks would rather give up a little more vs souring reputations in the community. I hope you folks can resolve this to something you can live with.

Pretty interesting fellas. I don’t know any of you beyond the confines of this forum(well Julian a little) and I hate to hear of these sorts of things happening especially since all of us know that in the end we(this forum) are a pretty tight community. I hope it can somehow get worked out. I do know that as a guy that builds custom furniture, cabinetry and objects that if my clients aren’t getting exactly what they ordered I wouldnt be around as long as I have been. I hope all you guys making deals overseas or otherwise sight unseen are getting everything that you’re expecting in writing and that agreements are being

Agreed, I have same customers over twenty years ( also woodworking /carpentry business, Matt we can talk about this sometimes, maybe over beer or two...) and I think it's only way keep them if do what you promised to do.
...and we are doing business with Germans and we are doing ok . I was part of electric guitar company and when we went to German market we had a lot help from local guitar companies even though we where competitors to them!
Anyway, nice weekend to all.
Mika

Last edited:
Agreed, I have same customers over twenty years ( also woodworking /carpentry business, Matt we can talk about this sometimes, maybe over beer or two...) and I think it's only way keep them if do what you promised to do.
...and we are doing business with Germans and we are doing ok . I was part of electric guitar company and when we went to German market we had a lot help from local guitar companies even though we where competitors to them!
Anyway, nice weekend to all.
Mika
My place or yours?;)

upload_2018-9-28_14-52-58.png

@vdk2010 can you use this……...from a 72 fury.

Its in the south of the Netherlands , i cut out the passengers floor last month so your floor is still there…...:)

Here is a big part of the original conversation between me and Tobias over the last 17 Month. I post it to show that there were A LOT of promises to sell and deliver me the sheet metal. It was in German, because Tobias is a German as well… I translated everything with google translate to speed this up so pardon me for some possibly odd translations.

Me: First asking for the sheet metal. I’ve sent 5 Pictures of the rusted areas I need patches for.

Tobias: The first 3 parts I can cut out for you Julian, the other 2 possibly (lower quarter panels and end tips).

Me: So, if the parts are really good and have no rust that would be great if you could cut them out. The shipping would be extremely expensive, so that would depend a bit on whether the fact that you could send the sheet metal in <a friend> car.

Tobias: “Thumbs up”

Me: I talked to <a friend>, for him it is ok that the parts can be shipped in his car! What does the rear window look like in the donor car? I would like to omit the vinyl roof with my Imp, for that I need a big rear window.

Tobias: Rear window is not a problem Julian.

Me: Can you put all that in the station wagon?

Tobias: Yes, the station wagon is not small at all Julian.

---
Here comes the part where Tobias was so kind to forward some sheet metal I bought from Tom (Mr. Fix It).
I was very thankful for that, I said that loud and often. But unfortunately, it was an exception rather than the rule…
---

<I received a picture of a beige car (with beige interior).>

Me: I see rust under the glass. Do you see more live?

Tobias: The sheet metal is solid is just the surface.

Me: ok, sheet solid is good!

Tobias: I will cut it out generously. No problem Julian.

Me: <Sending pictures again of the floor pan and the lower quarters> because he ignored me questions about the condition for a while.

Tobias: Trim is good, floor pan is good too, quarters I have to cut out from another car. No problem, I have 13 C-Bodys.

---
A short section from him complaining about the instrument cluster in his 70 Imp (the Nitoh bought) not working. I offered him to help him out by converting the illumination to LEDs like I did with mine. For Free.
---

Me: Hello. Since you have recently posted that the station wagon of <a friend> is now about to go, I want to hear how its going along with the sheet metal.

Tobias: I’m on it.

---
Always a lot of blabla between these parts…
---

Me: I understand you have a lot of other **** around the ears with your car loss and so on, but already knew more about the condition of the sheet metal? You wanted to organize somewhere lower quarterts and Radhauskanten, right?

Tobias: Yes, I have not had time yet

<as always, only excuses…>

---
From this point on I was really annoyed about his practices. But because I needed these sheet metal parts really bad, I kept calm.
---

Me: Hello there! I just saw your post with the station wagon. Since the sheet metal should be sent in it, I thought I ask how it looks with those. Did you manage to cut them all out?

Tobias: Still in work Julian.

---
Meanwhile, the sheet metal from Tom (Mr. Fix It) found their way into a car of a guy I did not know and I had to drive across Germany to get them. It was agreed that the sheet metal would be sent inside the car of <a friend> where I could've get them easily. But again, I don’t want to complain about getting them shipped to Germany for free. It’s just another example of the business practices of Tobias.

Also, he was complaining about the bad condition the sheet metal from Tom was in and told me the sheet metal I will get from him would be in much better condition…
---

Me: I just heard <a friend> station wagon is on the way. What about my sheets?

Tobias: Julian, what's the window and frame worth to you?

Me: Give me a house number for everything. Have never bought sheet metal in such extent.

Tobias: € 250 for the rear window with frame.

Me: If the sheet metal is really rust free, that would be ok for me. And so much again for the other sheet metal patches?

<no reaction from Tobias…>

Me: Good morning Tobias, do you need a summary of all the sheets we discussed or do you have all the information you need?

---
Meanwhile, I called him to speed up things. Needless to say, without success. We talked about the same **** like every time again. After almost an entire year, he told me he can’t do anything because it’s winter…..
---

Me: Hi Tobias, I have heard the station wagon of <a friend> will soon be on its way! Let’s talk again (On the phone if you like) about my sheet metal parts? What exactly, how and when. That they will be shipped in <a friends> station wagon.

<Weather complaints from Tobias>

---
realize how long other customers have to wait either?...
---

Me: I have met <a friend> last weekend, who said his station wagon would be shipped in the next two weeks…

Tobias: The Station wagon leaves tomorrow.

Me: And my sheet metal?

Tobias: This is not the only car going on, I have 9 vehicles going on in the next few weeks, <a friend> station wagon is fully with his own parts. I have to distribute parts of <a friend> to other cars.

---
This was a lie. The station wagon was full, yes. But with parts for a bunch of other people. My friend did not even know all of them.

I was really pissed off from now on. I was ONLY waiting for THAT LONG because I wanted my sheet metal in my friends longroof. He would have delivered them directly to my shop on his way home down from the seaport.
---

Me: Hello Tobias. Let talk please, that the sheet metal will come over here asap. I will then start early to weld them in so that the project moves on this year again.

<Me sending a “knock knock” gif>

Tobias: I’m in Idaho.

Me: OK. When are you back home?

Tobias: Next week.

<Phone call and blabla again.>

---
So, now comes an interesting part! After promising me to have parts ready to cut out. Remember his 13 cars and so on..? NOW I get this:
---

Me: Hello Tobias. The pictures I have sent <AGAIN> show all the metal sheets I need. That would be everything. Please give me then a total price and a date!

Tobias: First, I have to ask if I’m allowed to cut up the car Julian.

<WHAT? At that point I freaked out at home. He has to ASK FIRST? He is telling me for over a year he DOES HAVE the parts and just has to cut them out. He even told me the parts he has were WAY BETTER in condition when the one he forwarded to me from Tom.>

Me: yes, I understand everything. clear. But I'm waiting now for 1 year on the sheet metal. I accepted that because it was always communicated that the sheet metal will be shipped in <a friend> station wagon. Now it's gone and I still have no sheet metal here. The topic must now really come quickly to a conclusion. I need them to continue.

Tobias: Yes, the station wagon was full with <a firend> parts.

Me: That was not clearly communicated until the station wagon was gone. Then my sheet metal should have been shipped WAY earlier! Waiting for the wagonwas practically because <a friend> would have delivered the parts to my shop. That's the only reason I kept silent for so long!

Me: Hello. How are my sheet metal patches?

Tobias: I have only a few days off in 2 weeks.

<At this time, it was just about the driver’s floor pan, the rear window + durchman panel in one piece.>

Me: What’s the Plan?

Tobias: I looked at the whole thing today and it will be about 15-20 hours working. Around $ 1000.

Me: So, about your information. So, you tell me cutting out the few sheet metal parts costs you an effective working time of 2.5 days? Please tell me exactly what you want to cut out for sheet metal. By all means, I understand that you want to calculate the working time. But not 15-20 hours. In that time, you can disassemble and get rid of the entire car. I don’t want you to drill all the spot welds, just cut out generously. You can cut out everything comfortably in about 3-4 hours.

The 1000 € are then including parts?!?

Me: ?

Me: Can I get an answer? What is now? 15-20 hours are simply unrealistic. I already did thinks like that myself. I do not like to be fooled and pulled off. We can talk about everything realistically. But if you try to take advantage of my situation, my understanding stops.

Can you now cut out the few sheets at a reasonable price and offer me or not?

Tobias: You know that I do not take advantage of your situation Julian <no I don’t>, and <another friend> will have told you that I drove alone 1-way to the car 3 hours that is 6 hours driving time. That’s the first $250. I do not know where your problem is.

---
So, what? Wait. Now, out of the blue, the car is 3 hours away? He NEVER mentioned that before. And honestly, I doubt it!
---

Me: I've had enough of that ******* squabbling with you. I do not believe a word of what you say. I'm sure, either the car is not far away or you take the "approach" of several people. But I do not care anymore. Either way you are a rip-off and bad dealer. Everyone I spoke about this with agreed with me that the 20-hour schedule is ridiculous and pure rip-off.

Along with the fact that you have been holding me off again and again over a ******* year to the point where all the arrangements have gone overboard and I was standing there without anything and you tell me again it would not have happened otherwise, that is simply not sustainable. I only waited a year, as it was convenient that the parts came in the station wagon and these were delivered to me on the way. Otherwise I would not have waited so long!

One just can't trust what you say. Coupled with your unbelievable unreliability, the indifference to scheduling others, your communication and the lax way you collude with me, one just can not do any business without being totally ****** in the end.

You once fooled and annoyed too many buyers. I will spread the word where I can that with you no business should be made, since one is only pulled over the barrel anyway. My case is just the tip of the iceberg with all the **** I've heard otherwise.

---
Here came a few lies about stuff people allegedly sayed about me. I asked them all and every single word from Tobias was a lie… How can he even say these things knowing that we all know each other in the small German c-body scene?!... unbelievable.
---

Me: It's not about the $1000 or the sheet metal that you have forwarded before. You wanted to charge $1000 alone for the work and tell me it’s about 20 hours of work. THAT is rip off. My tone was nice, understanding and waiting for a ******* year. But at some point, that has an end. And in the end I just felt mucked around. And I'm not the only one, as I said. There are many in Germany who have enough of you and your behavior.

After that it escalated and I freaked out because I had enough of his bullshit. We texted a few insults back and forth and since then I never spoke a word to him again and I will never do. But I will spread the word about his practices and attitude to everyone listening.

Now you guys know the entire story. The only thing I have to reproach myself with is that I kept calm so long and believed in his promises. In retrospect, I should have finished earlier but afterwards you are always smarter. My conclusion is that Tobias is a bad bad seller and should not sell cars or parts to anyone because most of the customers over here and now even an “almost” customer is disappointed and shaken in good faith of oversee sellers.

For me, this topic is now closed and I’m looking forward with my project.

Back