1970 Chrysler Imperial Lebaron 4dr HT

Buyers overseas not feeling horrible that Americans cant afford their own cars because it's now an International market.
I don't cry when I buy a Sony camera that 95% of the Chinese assemblers can't afford.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
what is "crying a river for Americans"?
The translation of the single words doesn't make sense to me?

"Cry me a river" is a sarcastic saying we have: it's a taunt to someone that even if you cry enough tears to fill up a river, it won't move me to action.

So he's saying that nobody overseas is too upset over Americans' purchasing power issues.

Wonder what it feels like to toss money around like that on cars so casually.

I don't know that he's tossing money around casually. It's $11k. I don't know what he has in the car, but that's not an obscene amount of money. More than I'm willing to drop on a hobby car, that's for sure. But he's selling it, not whimsically keeping it and buying the 300 as well. I'd say it reads more like he's budgeted, and he's found something he'd rather spend his budget on.

"Cry me a river" is a sarcastic saying we have: it's a taunt to someone that even if you cry enough tears to fill up a river, it won't move me to action.

So he's saying that nobody overseas is too upset over Americans' purchasing power issues.

thanks for the explanation !
There are a lot of "sayings" which foreigners often don't get

Buyers overseas not feeling horrible that Americans cant afford their own cars because it's now an International market.
I don't cry when I buy a Sony camera that 95% of the Chinese assemblers can't afford.

Posted via Topify on Android

I disagree in the point were you say Americans can't afford their own cars anymore.
There is lots of money out there in the US. It is just that the majority isn't willing to spent it on a full size car.
If you look at the B&E-Body Mopar muscle car market you can see that a lot of money is spent and the cars stay in the US.

But C-bodys are neglected for the most part in the US. There is more interest in them overhere than in the US. At least if you compare it to the percentage of other Mopars both sides of the ocean.

There is not enough enthusiasts in the US for C-Bodys

Carsten

I picked up my Imperial for little more than a song and a dance at the time. It ran well, everything worked and did not have the usual fuselage c body rust areas (amazingly). Owned by an old "country doctor" type so it wasn't hotrodded. For what I paid for it I seriously doubt I could my butt in even a basket case car today.

I disagree in the point were you say Americans can't afford their own cars anymore.
There is lots of money out there in the US. It is just that the majority isn't willing to spent it on a full size car.
If you look at the B&E-Body Mopar muscle car market you can see that a lot of money is spent and the cars stay in the US.

But C-bodys are neglected for the most part in the US. There is more interest in them overhere than in the US. At least if you compare it to the percentage of other Mopars both sides of the ocean.

Carsten

And you dont think that the"overseas" buyers buy C's because they are cheap too? If they had to spend forty or sixty grand on a B or E body what would that do to the import tax so many over there complain about and whatever other fees you guys pay?

I picked up my Imperial for little more than a song and a dance at the time. It ran well, everything worked and did not have the usual fuselage c body rust areas (amazingly). Owned by an old "country doctor" type so it wasn't hotrodded. For what I paid for it I seriously doubt I could my butt in even a basket case car today.

When was that Gary?

Carsten

Carsten is 100% correct, as usual.

To put it into perspective, I paid $5,000 (I think, I don't remember exactly) for the Canadian Imp which I am in love with & think is one of the most beautiful cars in the world. $5,000, are you kidding me? I paid $4,400 for the 67 Polara. Are you kidding me? I paid $12,000 for possibly the nicest surviving 68 Monaco 500 left on the planet. And, I didn't get even as much as one offer on that car at Nats. And, lots of people here probly think I paid way too much. Are you kidding me?

Plenty of Americans have that kind of cash sitting around, they just don't want C bodies. TONS of guys spending big money on modern Mopars, not to mention A,B,E... Not to mention mustang, camaro, bmw, etc.

Dave, of course lot of guys like B&Es, too and can't afford them over here. But only a minority buys a "C" instead. If you want a mid size Super Bee with 440+6 for racing you don't buy a huge C-body instead. The "muscle car" guys buy instead a Coronet 440 or 500 and drop a 440 engine in it to make it go fast.

Just check the other "cheaper" group of Mopars. A-Bodys. You will not find many people importing A-Bodys to europe in bigger numbers at all. There is less than one A-Body on five C-Bodys swimming over.

Importax is always the same percentage on a car, no matter if it is cheap or expensive.

There is simply a lack of interest in full size cars in the US. Way more cars out there than enthusiasts. Just compare how much of a "Cuda" needs to be left to get restored compared to running/driving "Cs" that still get killed for drivetrains or derbyied.

Just check the other "cheaper" group of Mopars. A-Bodys. You will not find many people importing A-Bodys to europe in bigger numbers at all. There is less than one A-Body on five C-Bodys swimming over.

Importax is always the same percentage on a car, no matter if it is cheap or expensive.

I thought one of your "buddies" had said the tax was based on the cost of the car...........?

Nobody wants an A body and thats not a knock against them because I like C's

About 3 C's in the whole place.

What's your point though? Are you saying that I paid too much for the car or it's worth less or what?

Oddly that was before the prices went up and before guys starting to take notice to C's. Yes guys it was that close

We have a lot of relatives in Austria that came to Canada in the late 70s and early 80s and they were bowled over by the size of our cars and roads. For them the cars were very impressive. I also suspect serviceman in Europe driving these cars made a huge impression as they navigated the narrow winding streets common over there. The legend and desirability of the huge American cars simply became ingrained in Europe and persists through the next generation. Here in NA the full size cars were very common daily driver grocery getters which no kid really cared about when I was 16. Don't get me wrong I loved my Dad's 67 Polara but if money was no object at the time my 1st car would have been a 70 Charger. At least that's my theory about the difference between European and North American perceptions regarding our cars.

I thought one of your "buddies" had said the tax was based on the cost of the car...........?

Nobody wants an A body and thats not a knock against them because I like C's

tax: it is correct, taxes are based on the price of the car. It is always the same percentage on the value of the car that you got to pay

you say "nobody wants an A body". There is a lot of guys out there who will say "nobody wants a C body". That is depending on the point of view. And in the US the following for E&Bs is way above C-bodys. if you are at Mopar shows in the US you will also see that A Bodys are more common than C Bodys.

If you are at the spring Fling in Van Nuys (biggest Mopar event in the west, 650 cars attending) there are hardly enough Fuselage Cs to get a handful. At the german or scandinavian Mopar events C-bodys are more than 1/3 of the participants.

Back