1970 Plymouth Road Runner Super Bird BARN FIND | eBay (2)

One of these cars provided me with my most memorable "kick me" moments. In 1973 right after the first gas shortage a fellow came into the dealership with a '70 Superbird, red, hemi, 4speed, 46k. He had gotten married and needed a family car. He traded it pretty close to straight across for a nicely equipped '73 Fury 3 4dr.

It sat around the dealer lot for several months, not much interest in performance cars at that time. Sales manager knew I had a big foot and said he wanted to talk to me. Long story short, he offered it to me for $4500. As I always seemed to be about one citation ahead of a license suspension, and a car that unique in appearance would be a sure ticked magnet, I turned him down.

Kick me again!

Dave

Last edited:
I know I've told this before on here, but back in '79 ish my wife (then girlfriend) and I had a chance to buy a '69 Charger Daytona. Think it was a 383 4 bbl, bench seat, pistol grip shifter. The car was outside a park that my wife and I used to hang out at in Cheektowaga NY.
We were headed over to the park one evening and the car was parked in this driveway almost at the entrance. We stopped for the heck of it to see how much he wanted and struck up a conversation. Turns out he was a Spanish teacher at a local high school, and my wife bring Puerto Rican, they hit it off real well. He offered up the car for an amazing price because of that. Unfortunately even between the two of us we couldn't scrape up the money to buy it. We tried every single way but it just wasn't meant to be.
The price? $1900!!!.
However, that was the equivalent to $6,600 in today's money. Plain and simple... we couldn't afford it. She had 3 kids to feed, I just opened my shop and bought a new Trail Duster with a plow for it and.... well life goes on.

Back