1970 Polara Convertible Mud build up

Stanj

Reaction score
I took apart the driver side rear trim panel to retrieve the trim piece from rear window. I noticed that there was a build up of dust turned to mud in the bottom of the space. You can tell by the color in the picture how high it had accumulated. Is this normal for these cars?
8586CE14-0814-4181-A23E-1BF0DB049033.jpeg
D4BC45AB-6A94-4FBA-A455-97FD8AE38483.jpeg

Common for a lot of cars. In the 70's there was alot more dirt roads. I can tell every time I get a dirt road car. The dust gets in every crevasse.
I have a 66 gmc suburban that had 10" of dust in a fender brace. It had distinctive changes in color likely representing a family moving or selling the car and it relocating to an are with a different color of dirt.
Most of the roads where I grew up got paved in the 90's when it got cheaper to pave than maintain the dirt roads.

Common for a lot of cars. In the 70's there was alot more dirt roads. I can tell every time I get a dirt road car. The dust gets in every crevasse.
I have a 66 gmc suburban that had 10" of dust in a fender brace. It had distinctive changes in color likely representing a family moving or selling the car and it relocating to an are with a different color of dirt.
Most of the roads where I grew up got paved in the 90's when it got cheaper to pave than maintain the dirt roads.
I see bondo worms as well.

Hard to tell from the pic but is the darker area the mud you are referring to? If so it appears wet in the picture. If so, moisture would be a far greater concern to me than any accumulated dirt.

As good as the weather-sealing might have been back then, compared to modern vehicle designs, there's no comparison. Dust (from roads and atmospheric dust) will filter into areas inside the doors and such and settle out (for a long time). In there, ambient humidity can be absorbed, along with outright water getting past the outer glass fuzzies/weatherstrips In , will make the accumulation damp and foster rust from the inside out. In doors, this usually happens at the bottom of the inner structure on the door skin. It might take 30+ years for that to happpen, but it eventually will if the accumulation isn't removed and the affected metal treated to stop what's there and prevent it going any further.

Looks like that rubber "flap" at the forward bottom of the quarter window is a bit loose to seal very well.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Hard to tell from the pic but is the darker area the mud you are referring to? If so it appears wet in the picture. If so, moisture would be a far greater concern to me than any accumulated dirt.

Yes the darker area is moisture. The dirt in there was soaked and holding water. That’s the concern, the accumulated dirt not allowing the sheet metal to dry. The picture was taken after the dirt/mud had been removed.

looks like it has not been taken care of.....there was no rust in those floors when i replaced the carpet. Think i might still have pics lying around.

looks like it has not been taken care of.....there was no rust in those floors when i replaced the carpet. Think i might still have pics lying around.

It has set out at least all winter without the trim strip on the front of the driver side rear window. Without that in place there is a 1/2”-3/4” gap between the windows. There was water standing in the floorboards when I brought it home.

@Stanj
It has set out at least all winter without the trim strip on the front of the driver side rear window. Without that in place there is a 1/2”-3/4” gap between the windows. There was water standing in the floorboards when I brought it home.
Neil passed away?

Why?

There should be drains in the bottom of the quarter. I'm wondering if the person that did the bodywork Bondo'd over the drains, or they could simple be plugged up with dirt. I just recently came across the same issue with a Challenger. The cause on that one was a poorly done patch on the quarter panel. Same exact spot as the repaired damage your car. Also had a similar issue with a mid-nineties Sebring convertible some years back. The pinch weld on the bottom of the rocker was crushed and it blocked off the drain. The entire rocker on the pass side was full to the top with water and it flowed into the car at the inner quarter, filling up the foot wells.

Jeff

There should be drains in the bottom of the quarter. I'm wondering if the person that did the bodywork Bondo'd over the drains, or they could simple be plugged up with dirt. I just recently came across the same issue with a Challenger. The cause on that one was a poorly done patch on the quarter panel. Same exact spot as the repaired damage your car. Also had a similar issue with a mid-nineties Sebring convertible some years back. The pinch weld on the bottom of the rocker was crushed and it blocked off the drain. The entire rocker on the pass side was full to the top with water and it flowed into the car at the inner quarter, filling up the foot wells.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I will check and see what I can find.

Back