1970 Sport Fury : Missing steel fuel line ?

Chrome58

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how many parts are there in the fuel line of the 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury ?
It seems to me I'm missing something.

Starting from the fuel tank, I have:
- steel fuel line : going over the rear axle, then down to the right side, and then running 2 feet alongside the rocker panel
- ? hose ? : if it's only a hose there, it must be at least 2 feet in length, and then there are fuel line clamps further, so it seems I'm missing a steel fuel line
- steel fuel line : going in the right rail of the front frame, then out of it near the fuel pump
- hose : going to the fuel pump

Thanks.

1969-70 Plymouth Fury I/II/III/Sport 120

Yellow highlight is the hose area.

1686078157516.png

Thanks guys, I did looked it up at the Inline website, but it does not match my configuration.
The front line I have stops 5 inches after going out of the front rail (going to the back).
It seems to me their picture is a generic one.

Mr. Trace, correct me if I'm wrong, is the hose section there due to the muffler location or is there another purpose to having the hose section?

Thanks PT
I do not know the reason for the hose, but it wouldn't be due to the muffler. The hose on my car is just a few inches long between to two looonnng pieces of tubing (I have a full Inline system in my car, from tank to carb), so I believe that hose is simply for handling and fitting the tubing on the assembly line. It would really be unwieldly and easy to damage if it was a single 110 inches of tubing that is pre-bent. With the two pieces, you still have to fit and rotate each piece into place, and might be impossible if it's one long tube. In my car the front half of the tube disappears into the frame rail and pops out near the fuel pump. And that's an SOB to get into place passing through that subframe rail, so again, I can't imagine doing that with the other 80 inches of tubing waggling about back there. I'm not sure about other full-size Mopars that don't have the 300's subframe, but I suspect they're like my Cuda, clipped to the inside of the frame from rear to front but doesn't go inside of it.

That's my speculation, anyway.

I do not know the reason for the hose, but it wouldn't be due to the muffler. The hose on my car is just a few inches long between to two looonnng pieces of tubing (I have a full Inline system in my car, from tank to carb), so I believe that hose is simply for handling and fitting the tubing on the assembly line. It would really be unwieldly and easy to damage if it was a single 110 inches of tubing that is pre-bent. With the two pieces, you still have to fit and rotate each piece into place, and might be impossible if it's one long tube. In my car the front half of the tube disappears into the frame rail and pops out near the fuel pump. And that's an SOB to get into place passing through that subframe rail, so again, I can't imagine doing that with the other 80 inches of tubing waggling about back there. I'm not sure about other full-size Mopars that don't have the 300's subframe, but I suspect they're like my Cuda, clipped to the inside of the frame from rear to front but doesn't go inside of it.

That's my speculation, anyway.
Thanks, I agree that there would be some intense swearing if it was all one piece , both my Polara and Newport have the hose in your described area.
Just so happens to be near the mufflers.

Have a nice evening,

PT

Well, then there's a problem on my side : the front line is way too short to connect with the rear line only with a small piece of hose.
To connect the two, I would need at least 2 feet of hose.

It looks like the front line must have been replaced somewhere in the life of the car with a shorter one.

Well, then there's a problem on my side : the front line is way too short to connect with the rear line only with a small piece of hose.
To connect the two, I would need at least 2 feet of hose.

It looks like the front line must have been replaced somewhere in the life of the car with a shorter one.
More likely, a section of the steel line was damaged and the damaged section was cut off and replaced by a piece of rubber hose. This was a common "get it back on the road as cheap as possible" repair. I've done it myself with various beaters over the years. Often this is a rust issue even on relatively rust free cars.

Rubber hose isn't the best repair, but done right, it will get the job done. The cars I did this on had limited time left before they were scrapped and it was often in the winter at some inconvenient parking lot.

FWIW, the NHRA (and probably others) has mandated that hose length be 6" or less for race cars.

If you were in the US, I'd tell you to go to a well stocked parts store and buy a length of 5/16" brake line and cut and splice it with compression fittings into the existing line. While not "correct", that's the next best repair to completely replacing the line. Since 5/16" is very close to 8mm (,002" difference, do the math) I'd bet you can find 8mm steel line and do the same. That can also be done with rubber hose connecting the spliced line too.

If you were in the US, I'd tell you to go to a well stocked parts store and buy a length of 5/16" brake line and cut and splice it with compression fittings into the existing line. While not "correct", that's the next best repair to completely replacing the line. Since 5/16" is very close to 8mm (,002" difference, do the math) I'd bet you can find 8mm steel line and do the same. That can also be done with rubber hose connecting the spliced line too.
Actually, I do have some length of 5/16" brake line that I had bough for my previous restoration project. I just do not have the tool to make the flared ends.
But compression fittings are an excellent idea, I didn't think about that one.
Thanks.

Actually, I do have some length of 5/16" brake line that I had bough for my previous restoration project. I just do not have the tool to make the flared ends.
But compression fittings are an excellent idea, I didn't think about that one.
Thanks.
Compression fittings are just fine for this.

Brake lines no... Fuel and trans lines, yes.

Back