1971 Chrysler Newport Custom 383, rebuilding in Europe

Here is the ride. Now the car is getting the engine mounted, new brakes (discs, calipers, brake master servo, pads, rear cylinders with rebuild kits & shoes), brake lines & fuell lines. All the wheel bearings are going to be new as well. The shop owner recommends i go with dual exhaust. Im thinking of the original style downpipe end tips.

20200420_121724.jpg

That retaining spring set up looks weird to me! Is that the position it´s supposed to be ?
At my car there´s no tension on the spring as long as the throttlepedal is untouched. As soon as
you push the pedal it´ll extend. The one at your carburator seems to be extended permanently so
it might snap into pieces after a certain time ( maybe months, maybe years ). You don´t
want to deal with a snapped retaining spring when cruising at 60mph that really messes up your
day.

That retaining spring set up looks weird to me! Is that the position it´s supposed to be ?
At my car there´s no tension on the spring as long as the throttlepedal is untouched. As soon as
you push the pedal it´ll extend. The one at your carburator seems to be extended permanently so
it might snap into pieces after a certain time ( maybe months, maybe years ). You don´t
want to deal with a snapped retaining spring when cruising at 60mph that really messes up your
day.

That isn't too unusual for the longer springs on the two barrel carburetors that have the high number of coils but I do believe that use of a secondary spring within the primary spring to help close the throttle when the larger springs do eventually break and you otherwise go to WOT right away - Chrysler started that practice in the 1974 and up era as I recall for safety reasons, and I encourage doing it on our older models too to avoid a very bad day as Marv says above. When I restore my cars, I do use new primary springs that are still available from nos suppliers where the springs are not fatigued due to many cycles and I do try to add a secondary lighter spring that does increase throttle pressure a little, but it is well worth it IMO.

When I restore my cars, I do use new primary springs that are still available from nos suppliers where the springs are not fatigued due to many cycles and I do try to add a secondary lighter spring that does increase throttle pressure a little, but it is well worth it IMO.

That´s what I did as well. I tried to go with a dual spring set up but it increased the pressure that much that it became uncomfortable to drive on a longer journey.
So I went back to a single spring, brand new hoping that the quality is good and not having to deal with unexpected material fatigue. It either works or it doesn´t, no sign of deterioration. Just like the master brake cylinder. Never be cheap on those essential items !

Thanks for the advice on the throttle linkage, passed it on. The car is almost done, it needs to have the wheels aligned, and the national safety check completed. After that it's gonna get a new exhaust system.

received_1024662114594929.jpeg

Custom made dual stainless steel exhaust ready to go - original style :) . The shop has almost finished my ride, just going to have the driveshaft remanufactored and balanced, and thats gonna be it... looking sweet.

received_195802685109603.jpeg

received_1870157473119809.jpeg

received_575940222970226.jpeg

What a joy to drive. To get to this point it almost took 2 years. Really appreciate all the work that different people put into this car. The end result is amazing, it really does drive and handle very well, and stops perfectly in a straight line without much effort. The sound from the new exhaust, perfect - nice rumble up to 40mph, but above 60mph really quite and no droning effect. Keep rollin' and more updates soon :)

received_757899241641496.jpeg

received_340090646979660.jpeg

fantastic job you did there. Really enjoyed this thread to this point. It always seemed as you were working very determined
and straight forward to finish this car. Now the time has come to ENJOY the result !

What a joy to drive. To get to this point it almost took 2 years. Really appreciate all the work that different people put into this car. The end result is amazing, it really does drive and handle very well, and stops perfectly in a straight line without much effort. The sound from the new exhaust, perfect - nice rumble up to 40mph, but above 60mph really quite and no droning effect. Keep rollin' and more updates soon :)

View attachment 385605

View attachment 385606

Congratulations on making a beauty of a Newport. Well done!!

good job done in a comparativly short time !
Always nice to see if someone has a plan and does things as planned

Thanks for the positive words! And help provided during the resurrection :)

Evening cruise... love summer.

received_577127289658208.jpeg

True. If you look closely its still got Colorado plates

This thing is just "tons" of fun! I nicknamed it the "Crocodile" with my daughter :)

received_275104310611763.jpeg

received_2769515863281760.jpeg

Screenshot_20200715-223131.png

received_3360487874175553.jpeg

20200712_215041.png

Back