1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT Brogham & U code Super Comando

Damn that gas tank looks to be in great condition huh? In fact that shell of your car is great too, I have always started with cars most people would scrap and then worked from there. It must be amazing to be able to hit the ground running when restoring a car with a good body.I think I'm getting to the age where I want to start off like that now, but that type of car is few and far between now.
Btw I spotted the couch in one of the pics, I bet this is his place of rest too huh? Not bad at all.

Now that is the way to restore a C body. Meticulous work that gets results.

I had just one question for Paul - how did he get the console lid on that Fury free of small bumps that virtually every one I have ever seen has after all these years? Did he recover the lid somehow? That foam seems difficult to work with and also bulges around the edges after all these years as well.

You got the right guy for that SFGT.

Note that my console is what they put in high end Chryslers and I believe the Hurst cars. My car was delivered with that console and I never realized it wasn't the standard Fury type which is wood grain on top and no soft padding. Mine has a bit of wood grain around the shifter and years ago I drilled a hole and mounted a vacuum gauge. In the late '90's I found a good used front section on eBay, bought it and when I unpacked it I discovered my console was different. Anyways, I like the padded one better. Paul cleaned and used vinyl die to refinish all the padded parts. The wood grain was a vinyl woodgrain stick-on which presented three problems, first finding anything close, secondly getting it to stick when the sun cooked it a bit and thirdly it need to match the 3' long woodgrain strip on the from of the passenger side dash. So Paul removed the vinyl wood grain and painted his own. I must admit when he told me what he was going to do I was nervous, I've seen custom wood grain that took a lot of visualizing. LOL When I finally got to see the car I was blown away by how well it looked.

Paul is simply amazing!

Damn that gas tank looks to be in great condition huh? In fact that shell of your car is great too, I have always started with cars most people would scrap and then worked from there. It must be amazing to be able to hit the ground running when restoring a car with a good body.I think I'm getting to the age where I want to start off like that now, but that type of car is few and far between now.
Btw I spotted the couch in one of the pics, I bet this is his place of rest too huh? Not bad at all.

honestly l lucked out...am surprised that no one snapped it up ..guessing with it being situated up in the boonies scared a few folks off..imagine if they had posted more detailed pics car woulda went sooner...

Honestly haven't had more than hr or two with car re work and it being outa town in storage so the pics of the underside have me with a big grin on my face...knew interior floors and truck were in great shape but had no idea as to under carriage condition but pics show it in great shape...Paul just gave it a quick wash underneath but it has definitely been undercoated at time of purchace which has saved it for the most part...countin blessins...

Paul decided to strip the wood grain decal and "paint" his own wood grain. Looks better than the decal!

this what you need?[/QUOTE

Actually I was referring to the other Fury in the hijacked series showing the restoration of the earlier car that had a padded console lid and no woodgrain like the Chryslers and Dodges had. Those padded lids as shown in that link are always bumpy and pushing out around the sides with age and heat cycles. The one Paul restored on the other Fury looked pretty nice, so I was really asking about how he did that work.

It is interesting that Paul paints on woodgrain, rather than resort to finding decals, as my paint and body guy does his wood grain the same way. He is going to paint the woodgrain on my 73 Monaco wagon, so I am looking forward to seeing that as well. He did a small steering wheel center for me for my Chrysler that has a woodgrain insert, and I couldn't tell the difference from the original one when I got in the car - I didn't even notice he had painted it yet it was so good. Some guys just have the knack for this type of stuff.

honestly l lucked out...am surprised that no one snapped it up ..guessing with it being situated up in the boonies scared a few folks off..imagine if they had posted more detailed pics car woulda went sooner....

Your car was advertised for sale multiple times over several years before you picked it up.
I have no idea what you paid but the asking price was outrageous, location and the way the car is optioned out kept people away. As I recall the seller was a little strange too.

Once again way late to an interesting thread. Congrats on the score and thanks for keeping us posted. Just out of curiosity is that hood decal still available anywhere?

Your car was advertised for sale multiple times over several years before you picked it up.
I have no idea what you paid but the asking price was outrageous, location and the way the car is optioned out kept people away. As I recall the seller was a little strange too.

it was advertised for a long time.
Seller started with 15k $
It was easily to be seen that it needs full quarter panels (wheel lip rust) in the pics of the ad and it was in the midlle of nowhere.
Finally they came down with the price heavily and Critter got the deal on it.

I remember seeing one of these cars when they were new in a Plymouth dealership showroom in Milwaukee when my Dad bought his last new Plymouth Suburban station wagon. We had 7 kids I thought it was a cool car then....

it was advertised for a long time.
Seller started with 15k $
It was easily to be seen that it needs full quarter panels (wheel lip rust) in the pics of the ad and it was in the midlle of nowhere.
Finally they came down with the price heavily and Critter got the deal on it.

That's what I said

Once again way late to an interesting thread. Congrats on the score and thanks for keeping us posted. Just out of curiosity is that hood decal still available anywhere?

Pheonix said they couldn't handle and bailed but however Preformance graphics has steped up to the plate and said they ll do one up...already have the color samples.. and Paul is helping them sort it out
http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Fury_S23_GT/71_GT_440.htm

just on a side note these GT graphics were also available with the oem 6 barrel designation from the factory...imagine there may be a oem set abouts somewhere but adhiesive would be questionable

Very cool car! Looking forward to see the progress sequence!

As you can see, I had my eye on that car. I think the time that car was advertised, I had broken up with the wife a year or two earlier. So I couldn't come up with the money.
1971 Fury GT Brougham 1.jpg
1971 Fury GT Brougham 2.jpg
1971 Fury GT Brougham 3.jpg
1971 Fury GT Brougham 4.jpg
1971 Fury GT Brougham 5.jpg
1971 Fury GT Brougham 6.jpg
1971 Fury GT Brougham 7.jpg

Do what you want, it's your car CanCritter, but if that was my car it would be restored to a "factory look" type of restoration. Single stage paint with orange peel and runs, dark grey primer showing on the underside floor boards with a little white over spray showing and assembly line paint markings.
It's a real cool looking car and I hope everything works out for you.

1971 Fury GT Brougham 1.jpg

1971 Fury GT Brougham 2.jpg

1971 Fury GT Brougham 3.jpg

1971 Fury GT Brougham 4.jpg

1971 Fury GT Brougham 5.jpg

1971 Fury GT Brougham 6.jpg

1971 Fury GT Brougham 7.jpg

As you can see, I had my eye on that car. I think the time that car was advertised, I had broken up with the wife a year or two earlier. So I couldn't come up with the money.
View attachment 56577
View attachment 56581
View attachment 56582
View attachment 56583
View attachment 56584
View attachment 56585
View attachment 56586

Do what you want, it's your car CanCritter, but if that was my car it would be restored to a "factory look" type of restoration. Single stage paint with orange peel and runs, dark grey primer showing on the underside floor boards with a little white over spray showing and assembly line paint markings.
It's a real cool looking car and I hope everything works out for you.

it was kinda the same for me at the time..just bought the 70 few months before and hada make 2 payments on the vehicle to make it work at the time...was kinda watchin it and knew it was out there but didn't realy comprehend just how special it was but the more l read here and over at the drydock realy started to get interested and at the time belive it was down from 15k to 10k then 7k l belive,,then one day seen it again at 5k....just couldn't pass it up and that's when l called and worked out a deal.

Car will remain stock...may bump up the compression but will leave it as oem as l can....orange peal and runs may give Paul horrible nightmares lol...

I can very much appreciate the way the original paint looks on these cars but if it requires a repaint there's no good excuse for not doing a better job than they did at the factory.

Is that a factory cassette tape deck / recorder bolted to the floor ?

I don't think it was factory (build sheet might have the answer) it looks like a Craig 8-track unit. I had one mounted in my 69 Super Bee....listening to Rare Earth and Led Zeppelin. LOL!

I don't think it was factory (build sheet might have the answer) it looks like a Craig 8-track unit. I had one mounted in my 69 Super Bee....listening to Rare Earth and Led Zeppelin. LOL!

Hee Hee. . . I woulda been listening to Buddy Holley.

Back