1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT Brogham & U code Super Comando

R26: AM Radio with Cassette..was a factory option,,,came with car....demo tape was still in glove box woot

car came loaded to the nines...two tag car
u1D: 440 375HP 4 bbl 8 CYL
Belvidere, IL, USA

184981: Sequence number

E86: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
EW1: White Exterior Color
H5Y5: Trim - High, Cloth/Vinyl Bucket Seats, Unknown Color
000: Full Door Panels
C15: Build Date: December 15
830256: Order number

V1Y: Full Vinyl Top, Gold
C: Canada Specifications
A01: Light Package
A76: brougham package
A94: light reminder
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum

C21: Center Front Seat Cushion
C55: Bucket Seats
g11: tinted glass all
G31: OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

L25: Trunk Lamp
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
M81: Front Bumper Guards

P25: Power Left Front Seat
P31: Power Windows
R26: AM Radio with Cassette
V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment
Y16: Sales Bank.........................................sales bank??????????
CTD: Codes Continued on 2nd Fender Tag...second tag????...second tag 26 -26 in rad

Heard a couple variations but from what lve gathered so far was these sales bank cars were put together on paper then forced on dealers to sell type idea. Still quite not shure on the meaning yet

The model years 70 - 72, the factories were pumping out cars far above demand.
In an article from that era (Business Week? Not sure), it focussed on why the deliberate overproduction. Many reasons (change in tax laws, fixed costs overhead, accounting tricks, blah, blah, blah) forced cars down the dealers throats. Cars sat in lots fir over a year and discounts were insane.
In 1973, dealers were blowing out new 71's for almost 40% off sticker. Of course they were, as you would expect, mostly models
like triple green Fury/Polara/etc base 4 doors.
There's more to the story but it is boring...

Very nice I saw this one at the car craft nationals in Milwaukee last weekend.

2015 c 007.jpg

Very nice I saw this one at the car craft nationals in Milwaukee last weekend.

thanx Rush...not shure if lve seen this one yet or not,,,thinking if this is the Winchester one then those trim rings are probally the ones Billfury sold few months ago...hard to tell on my laptop aas it has tad different coloring than my large monitor that l ussaly travel with dose..if l could see the GT decal could tell as the G on the Winchester GT has application issues and looks like hell...in anycase a new GT pic for my archives..thanx

yes have seen it once or twice but don't know to much about this one..hopefully the owner will happen through here at some point..thanx kindly for pic

Heard a couple variations but from what lve gathered so far was these sales bank cars were put together on paper then forced on dealers to sell type idea. Still quite not shure on the meaning yet

Hi Critter,

a Y16 sales bank car was not ordered by a dealership or a customer.
It was built on "Chryslers" risk of selling it in the future.
It is not a specially equipped car like a "dealer demonstrator" which is usually fully loaded and used to work as sales magnet. Those have the code Y13. Cars which were sold (a customer ordered it and layed down money or the dealership wanted a specific car in a specific combination and layed down money to Chrysler to get it) got a Y14 code (sold car).

Carsten

Hi Critter,

a Y16 sales bank car was not ordered by a dealership or a customer.
It was built on "Chryslers" risk of selling it in the future.
It is not a specially equipped car like a "dealer demonstrator" which is usually fully loaded and used to work as sales magnet. Those have the code Y13. Cars which were sold (a customer ordered it and layed down money or the dealership wanted a specific car in a specific combination and layed down money to Chrysler to get it) got a Y14 code (sold car).

Carsten

lotta new info for me there..didn't realize the may diffrences in regards to a Y car..dealer demonstrator is also a new term for me....thanx for the info...cleared a lotta questions up

That blue one has the cassette deck on the console too. ;)

It's funny how now matter what C-body you are partial to, it seems the Fury GTs get everyone interested!

yes have seen it once or twice but don't know to much about this one..hopefully the owner will happen through here at some point..thanx kindly for pic

That Fury GT was parked next to me at the Mason-Dixon Mopar show at Boonesboro, Maryland in 2012.

Back