1971 Polara 2 door Hardtop.

what is the upgrade?
IMG_0913 (1024x683).jpg

If you go to the trouble of putting a cop car speedo in your car you want to be sure it works. Just saying Dave missed his calling as a test pilot.

oh i get it now! just slow this morning. "not afraid" and " test pilot" nails it pretty good

My plan for performance with this car is going to be different then the standard 4bbl swap and then the eventual stroker or big block swap. I have a set of closed chamber 302 heads I am gonna have gone through and add larger valves. Should boost the compression a bit and help it breathe better. I got a small cam kit for it when I do the head swap as well. Here's where it isn't the run of the mill...I want it to look completely stock under the hood, I am going to keep it the Rochester 2bbl. It is very similar with the quadrajet and other rochester gm 2bbl carbs so I am sure other jet sizes are available. I'm not looking for a race car here, but wanna wake the 318 up a bit. I do have a 3:91 Sure Grip I've thought about throwing in, while it would be a blast, I'm sure it would be a mistake ruining the driveability and straining the 47 year old 318, so that's going into the hot rod. Gotta check the New Yorkers ratio, hoping for 3:23. I think it'd be impressive to run it up to 140 with a 2bbl 318.....one horsepower per cubic inch? That's not too much to ask...

IMG_20180318_195405.jpg

IMG_20180318_195451.jpg

Woke up this morning to a knock at the door. It's Christmas in March. Now both 71s have squad Speedos. I need an oil PSI and a tach now.

IMG_20180323_093803.jpg

Okay I've installed the speedo. My first time for one of these by the way. I took it around the block and the needle is all over the place. Bouncing like crazy. What's gives?

IMG_20180323_143414.jpg

I've heard things about magnets inside of it going bad :confused: It's been sitting for quite sometime. The speedo gear shouldn't be a problem correct?

Put something in the back of the speedo head where the cable fits in and see how easy it is to turn. Should be pretty easy, you're only spinning the speedo and a couple little gears for the odo. Look around where the cable attaches, there might be a small hole or felt wick for a few drops of oil to lube it.

I don't feel like dropping the column for a 3rd time today ugh. I noticed a few bulbs needed to be changed and I guess should look into the radio and blower switch the next time I have the dash apart...

Back