1971 Polara 2 door Hardtop.

you dropped the column ? ....Rookie ...
I've gotten the clusters out of other cars before without doing so. But considering this is my car, I've learned the hard way that taking the extra time to make life easier is better then breaking parts...

Ive never had to drop the column for that. Of course, I have back problems for a reason

Usually what causes the needle to bounce like crazy is a bad cable. Basically what happens, the inner cable core binds, then winds up until the torsion forces the core to turn past the bind. This sudden release shoots the needle high. This bounce will be greatest at low speeds since the time delay between core bind and release is much greater that at high speed. At very high speed the bind/release cycle is so fast the needle has too much inertia to bounce.

Pull the core out of the sheath, clean it as much as you can the look at it carefully under a bright light. If it has any kinks, it's toast. If it has "shiny" spots, the sheath has been bashed, it's toast. If all looks good, lightly lube with speedometer cable lube and reinstall. Be careful to ensure the lower end where it meets the transmission gear is properly seated. I had one that wouldn't slide all the way in, which left too much at the speedometer head. It bounced like crazy.

Have fun!:steering:

I also noticed the little clip on cable where it connects to the speedo is broken. Could this be most of my problem?

I need to get all three of them together ASAP

IMG_20180405_112926.jpg

Dave... Don't kill me...its getting a sponge bath this afternoon when spring gets here...It's been awhile since I can remember a snowstorm like this so far into April, I guess we've been spoiled the past few.

I couldn't help but pull over and stop and get a snow covered pic at sunrise in Wisconsin. I hope this is the only picture like this I ever take of this car.

IMG_20180419_055612.jpg

She got her new shoes on. Retiring the Cordoba wheels. Ive used them on everything I've owned since 2010.

255/70 out back and 235/70 up front. I would like to use the 73 New Yorker leaf springs to get rid of these flat ones on the car. Id like new ones, but would rather spend that money on the Brougham and use what I have on hand for the time being. Tonight's update.

20180508_185437.jpg

20180508_185514.jpg

Last edited:
I want to put a radio in this car. Ive been driving around with blue tooth speakers since I got it on the road. Recommendations??? The slot is the perfect size for a modern head unit.

Back