1972 dodge polara custom new owner

slick72

Reaction score
I just recently got a 1972 dodge polara custom and I've never had a mopar before only chevys and ford's and I would like to know best course of action for this car restore it to classic look and if so where could I get parts or do somthing unique and just make it a fun car to do doughnuts in and race around town it has a 360 cammed and 600 4 barrel carb front disc and other random things ive only fixed and tinkered so now it will drive anywhere just curious what to do next
1000001563.jpg

20231221_140347.jpg

20231221_140340.jpg

20231221_140337.jpg

20231221_134916.jpg

I like your car a lot and the custom console looks good...maybe refine it slightly? What I'd do if it was me..
1. Full basic maintenance inspection.....steering, suspension, brakes, exhaust, battery/alternator, ignition.
2. Change ALL fluids
3. Basic maintenance stuff....flashers, wiper blades, windshield washers, etc.
4. Now the good stuff.....It "looks" like it's riding on air shocks and long rear shackles in the back to clear the rear tires....very 70's. Do you like that tail end up high? Yes? Ditch the air shocks and see if you can get some hi-arch rear spring (ESPO spring maybe?...there are others). You'll probably keep the long rear shackles. No, don't like the tail that high? Put stock-height rear springs & different tires/wheels that fit inside the wheel housings.
5. Performance - investigate if there are some 1-5/8"-1-3/4" primary tube headers that will fit (?) Work on ignition advance (springs & weights) in the distributor, play with the timing, add a K&N air filter with an open air cleaner of some type (even flipping the lid of a stock air cleaner)
6. Add a pinion snubber or traction bars

I like your car a lot and the custom console looks good...maybe refine it slightly? What I'd do if it was me..
1. Full basic maintenance inspection.....steering, suspension, brakes, exhaust, battery/alternator, ignition.
2. Change ALL fluids
4. Now the good stuff.....It "looks" like it's riding on air shocks and long rear shackles in the back to clear the rear tires....very 70's. Do you like that tail end up high? Yes? Ditch the air shocks and see if you can get some hi-arch rear spring (ESPO spring maybe?...there are others). You'll probably keep the long rear shackles. No, don't like the tail that high? Put stock-height rear springs & different tires/wheels that fit inside the wheel housings.
5. Performance - investigate if there are some 1-5/8"-1-3/4" primary tube headers that will fit (?) Work on ignition advance (springs & weights) in the distributor, play with the timing, add a K&N air filter with an open air cleaner of some type (even flipping the lid of a stock air cleaner)

2. Change ALL fluids
6. Add a pinion snubber or traction bars
Hey thanks for reply I forgot to mention I am younger but I'm a avid mechanic and can do bodywork motor work and interior and what not but thanks for the info I do like the 70s street freak rear end any ideas for seats or center console

We discussed this car in a thread already.

Good luck. Best bet is to hunt down a 72 or 73 Parts car and do your best to keep the cost low. Someone mentioned 20k to make the car right again, ignore that.

Thanks and I've noticed parts for this car specifically aren't easy to find and any color recommendations?

Post a photo of the fender tag. That'll tell us what color it should be...that'll determine if you should leave it red or make a change. If it's Brown. Definitely leave it red.

Last edited:
To be honest we had a little fun with your car because of it's sinister look and Mad Maxish style. Most guys on here are a little older and percieve cars in their original state and would prefer they stay that way and do not step outside the box very often.
It's your car and do with it as you may, my suggestion is make it your own but try to maintain or attain its classy, sleek, cool ride that it is.

Welcome and have a good day!

To be honest we had a little fun with your car because of it's sinister look and Mad Maxish style. Most guys on here (prefer) cars in their original state (...)
It's your car and do with it as you may, my suggestion is make it your own but try to maintain or attain its classy, sleek, cool ride that it is.
x2.

Glad that this 1972 Polara seems to have fallen into good hands. Regardless of what folks joked about in that other thread linked to by @71Polara383, they will support you and provide advice and help. That has been my experience.

As @71Polara383 suggested, please post the fender tag. That is a 2x3 metal rectangle with all the option codes for the car; on a fuselage C-body (1969-1973), it will be located not on the fender (as it used to be on earlier cars, as well as on fuselage B-bodies -- hence the name) but on the radiator support, right in front of the battery tray.

I agree with most of what @PurpleBeeper said, with the exception of the windshield washer. The fluid reservoir becomes brittle with age, and on many cars it is shot. Indeed, I don't see it in your engine pic. FWIW, I don't think it is worth spending 2-300 dollars (yes, you read that right) to buy a used one in good condition at this stage. I have been patient and have sourced a few at much better prices, but it takes time to find a good deal.

PS: the mirrors on your car are not correct, but they fit in with the backed out bumpers. Again, not urgent to fix at this point.

Last edited:
x2.

Glad that this 1972 Polara seems to have fallen into good hands. Regardless of what folks joked about in that other thread linked to by @71Polara383, they will support you and provide advice and help. That has been my experience.

As @71Polara383 suggested, please post the fender tag. That is a 2x3 metal rectangle with all the option codes for the car; on a fuselage C-body (1969-1973), it will be located not on the fender (as it used to be on earlier cars, as well as on fuselage B-bodies -- hence the name) but on the radiator support, right in front of the battery tray.

I agree with most of what @PurpleBeeper said, with the exception of the windshield washer. The fluid reservoir becomes brittle with age, and on many cars it is shot. Indeed, I don't see it in your engine pic. FWIW, I don't think it is worth spending 2-300 dollars (yes, you read that right) to buy a used one in good condition at this stage. I have been patient and have sourced a few at much better prices, but it takes time to find a good deal.

PS: the mirrors on your car are not correct, but they fit in with the backed out bumpers. Again, not urgent to fix at this point.
Thank and yeah I get it I had a 68 impala fastback I completely restored as my first car and Thanks for the info yall have been great at giving different opinions and I might do custom reservoir like jack Daniel's bottle or somthing I'd like to get different mirror eventually

Would love to see pics!
She was a looker man rebuilt it from nothing with my grandpa at 13 he gave it to me for my birthday at 16 and had it till spends so much time and money on it till someone ran stop sign hit me and then I hit a guard rail and car got totalled but saved me Not a scratch if she had a set a wings I know she could've flew

Screenshot_20231101_162348_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20231101_162345_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20231101_162342_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20231101_162340_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20231101_155932_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230925_155513_Photos.jpg

@slick72 -- any chance that you might post the fender tag?

I would go back to chrome bumpers and maybe steel rims with dog dish hub caps. If it needs tires, white letters would look good too.

Back