1973 Dodge SB Distributor will not seat against block

There isn't by chance just a piece of crap that has fallen into the intermediate shaft slot and now won't allow the distributor to seat properly?
no, I cleaned out the slot thoroughly. This problem comes in 2 parts
1 Previous owner didn't know how to install an oil pump driveshaft and damaged the slot while installing the shaft. I replaced the oil pump driveshaft.
2 I installed too wide an o – ring so the distributor base would not seat completely against the top of the block. NAPA auto parts sold me the O-ring, and I didn't know enough to see that it was too wide. I replaced the fat O-ring with a more narrow model. Distributor fits fine now
Live and learn.

I didn't look close enough at the Hughes piece or I never would have mentioned it. I figured it was like the steel collar that Chrysler used to offer as a replacement. That came as a package with shims to get the end play right.

Sorry
that's okay big John. You given me lots of great advice in the past. Everyone makes mistakes, including me. The instructions were probably somewhere on Hughes website. I neglected to read them. At least it was only 15 bucks

Takes time to earn all of this for sure. I have seen some reay strange stuff doing Distributors. Man I have some horror stories. If you guys need collars I had some made up, do not buy pre driled ones Mopar never has the pin hole in the shaft centered across, no idea why.

Takes time to earn all of this for sure. I have seen some reay strange stuff doing Distributors. Man I have some horror stories. If you guys need collars I had some made up, do not buy pre driled ones Mopar never has the pin hole in the shaft centered across, no idea why.
Hughes collar is worthless. Set screw opening is wider than 3/16 inch. Roll pin is 1/8 inch. Collar cannot be drilled for roll pin. Also the collar does not fit snugly on the distributor shaft. It's slightly wider than the shaft and goes up and down with slop, side to side motion. I would never install this on any distributor. Picture below is for comparison of factory roll pin and opening in Hughes shaft collar.
Ray, I'll p.m. you about a pre-drilled roll pin shaft collar.
PXL_20210814_125026109 collar vs pin.jpg

Repllied. Note the holes are never 180 apart on the collars, no idea why Mopar never used a standard jig to drill them directly across.

Repllied. Note the holes are never 180 apart on the collars, no idea why Mopar never used a standard jig to drill them directly across.
The drill probably "walked" a little as it was pushed through. As long as it was pinned, nobody cared. Typical "piece work " type production.

I had some driled through 180 apart, what a mistake they all went in the trash. Typical mopar.

Putting Toolmaker hat on: I'd make the new ones with one hole. Get it in position and run a drill through the new collar and shaft, drilling the new hole on the other side of the collar. :Hat off

I tried that doing this all the time problem is the hoes are usually close then the upper bearing is usually never exact also. Way easier for me to do them for each distributor, pretty easy. I dont like to put to many shims on the bottom can interfeere with the oiling on the 72 and up ones.

LOL I dont share all the tricks, got screwed by a guy doing that!

LOL And those colars are drilled right throug to boot! 50 YO nylon is not good in a engine right up there with nyllon timing teeth.

Back