1973 Imperial LeBaron - restore or sell. (No pix)

LeBaron1973

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've decided to sell my Cadillac and Lincolns and concentrate on my '73 LeBaron sedan.

I recently asked my buddy in Wisconsin who looks after it - what it requires, and this is the list:

Radio doesn't work and has the 8-track cartridge stuck in it.
Some issues with control of front A/C vents.
One slow "big" window and both vent windows are inoperable
The paint is ok but a few large dings/creases in the lower body.
Will eventually need an engine rebuild as it burns oil.

Cost me around $5000 and I've spent maybe another $3000 with Murray B Park and getting her serviced and safe.

Whilst I'm happy to spend the funds to tidy up, I wondered whether it would be better to get one already done else do the one we already know as Perry says these cars are rare.

I'd like to get it as nice as that Idaho restorer does but suppose that's a $50,000 - $100,000 cost???

Opinions anyone???

John

Lemme get this straight.
You're into the car for 8 grand, almost a ⅓ of that in parts, and you're asking if you should bail?

Well, I wondered as sometimes you have to cut your losses before spending too much on a restoration/tidy up.

Just thinking of extra costs in engine rebuild and bodywork, maybe a nice one is a better option???

If a nice one was say 8k and I spent more on this one, it'd make more sense to get the better one than waste money.

Probably best to keep this one I guess.

Well, I wondered as sometimes you have to cut your losses before spending too much on a restoration/tidy up.

Just thinking of extra costs in engine rebuild and bodywork, maybe a nice one is a better option???

Have we seen pics yet?

I don't think you would ever get your money back, plus you would never have the same attachment to an already nice car as to one you restored.

I'll get pix from my friend if he still has them, sounds like it's not like a car that's going to cost another $10k say because it needs lots of bodywork new interior etc, so i'm probably lucky.

I see you're in Dallas, will be there on the 4th, 5th and 6th of January before returning to Australia on the 7th.

The irony is that I've never seen it in person, maybe next year when I return to the states.

I've finally learned after many, many project cars and seeing what other have done here on FCBO.

What I've learned and will do in the future is find rust free, low mileage, turn key C-Body that needs nothing but gas for $8k-$10k and just show up at Carlisle with a lawn chair instead of spending $20k to restore a car that will only be worth $6k when I'm done.

Laughs, I got mine from Utah and Perry drove it to Wisconsin and had it checked over and serviced, whilst obtaining stuff from Murray B Park.

I'll spend the cash to repair the issues and do the body/paint then I'm happy, wouldn't be any happier if I spent a fortune on a concours job.

Thx for the advice.

If a nice one was say 8k and I spent more on this one, it'd make more sense to get the better one than waste money.

Nobody can properly advise you because every situation is unique. In general, if you put blood into the car, not just money, there is a sense of accomplishment that cannot be bought.

It sounds like you are hands free on this one. If you have no emotional attachment, look for a nice finished one before you abandon yours. It could go either way. You may find one that looks good and passes an qualified inspector's eye. I understand Patrick may be available, or could refer you to one. You may find the grass really isn't enough greener and want to stick with yours.

If you sell it you are sure to take a loss, so if its more a financial decision... you will have to decide. I would be surprised if anyone here was thinking they wouldn't lose money on their C investment. Some want originality, some are more focused on creating the car they want it to be. You will need a handle on what you want.

An appeal for me is the number of do it yourselfers here. That is not for everybody and would make a difference both on costs and appeal. Nobody wants to stroke a $50k check for a $5k return... there is no joy to be had there. You will have the joy of ownership with what you have or a replacement. How would you like to enjoy the car is a very good question to ask yourself.

If you rehome her, please try to give the first and last offer here. I see lots of first offers, and I know the last offers will be far less. If you keep her, spend a little more getting a big picture estimate from someone qualified... you will have a better idea what your in for that way. I can't imagine what you go through trying to make decisions from another continent, I can't think right from another city.

Good choice, as nice as they are, there is no comparison to an Imperial. Whether it's the one you have now or another '73, I sure hope to see it in the car shows in Adelaide.

Back