1976 auto temp 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
tan, did the NY'er leave you with the mini starter in it?

Your exhaust was put on by Jed so I don't know. I'm wondering if that sewer pipe he put on is cooking the starter.

< Sent from my tablet >

I think the cam sucks. There is not enough vacuum to run the air every stop and go it turns off. The timing marks don't line up so to time it I don't have a clue where it is. I've tried more than a few times to get it where it I think it should be but no luck yet. I was thinking of putting in something like a RV cam in it. The starter has plenty of air space around it but it does not like any heat what so ever. The exhaust is very nice.

exhaust 2.jpg

Looks like I'm married to it. I think dropping the air and putting a 671 on it at least it will move when you drop the hammer.

I think the cam sucks. There is not enough vacuum to run the air every stop and go it turns off. The timing marks don't line up so to time it I don't have a clue where it is. I've tried more than a few times to get it where it I think it should be but no luck yet. I was thinking of putting in something like a RV cam in it. The starter has plenty of air space around it but it does not like any heat what so ever. The exhaust is very nice.

UGH. The system is welded as one pc. front to back! :BangHead:
I always have the installer use slip joints. Cost more but it's worth it the first time you have to drop it to work on something.

I told Jed not to go more radical on the cam.
The cam that i had in it was ground to the '69 440 Magnum cam specs:
Int opens (*BTC) 21
Int closes(*ABC) 67
Duration-deg. 268
Exh opens(*BBC) 79
Exh closes(*ATC) 25
Duration-deg. 284
Valve opening overlap 46*

I chose that cam because the '69 440 Magnum was rated @ 480 ft-lbs @ 3,200 rpm of torque !!
The torque curve was perfect for lugging almost 2 1/2 tons.
And it drew 12" Hg at 750 RPM.

Last edited:
So..........what is the 1/4 mile ET and mph in current form?

I think Jed thought he was trying to make a hot rod out of a 5000 pound car. That's hard to do. I think your cam would be better than what's in it. I'm thinking they degreed it to something that makes it worse and he is using the ignition setup from you for the old cam. I've had a 12 second car for years and this will never be that. I've had tunnel rams,cross rams etc,408 small block, so it's not like I'm new to the motor thing. I haven't had a New Yorker in 30 years but the drive train isn't that much different. I suppose I can put a new cam in it but!!!!!

But you could enjoy it for what it is......
It's still pretty cool.

I didn't build that car to stomp on Roadrunners or Mustangs.
I needed to build that car because of my passion (obsession?) for rowing through the gears even just cruising around town which was 95% of my driving.

Last edited:
She gets a lot of compliments when it's out. There nothing on this car I can't fix just if I want to take the time and put the money into it.Maybe??????

She gets a lot of compliments when it's out. There nothing on this car I can't fix just if I want to take the time and put the money into it.Maybe??????
Hey, I lost my shirt on it.
I know Jed lost money on it.
You might as well join the club...

loss try buying a boat and watch your money go out the window. I have more in a used boat motor than I paid for the car at 8250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back