1976 auto temp 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking some more of the previous owner out of Elenore. He had gasket sealer on the missing part. The 1/2 spacer fits with no problems and it can only help my hot starting problem. :eek:ccasion14: Now to put new valve cover gaskets for some reason he cranked the bolts down.

carb 001.jpg

carb 002.jpg

Carter are my carbs of choice, I have TQs and AFB presently

Holley...there's your problem...
I did not put it on it came with the car. I'm not a big fan of vacuum secondary Holley's some work some never do. I have a 750 edelbrock sitting here to try someday.
So Elenore has to stick it up my *** again today. I got my valve cover gaskets today so I figure in an hour or so I should be done. Wow was I wrong!!!!! I found out that the bolts he used are to long and are bottoming out before they get tight and that's why they are leaking. I take a trip to town to pick up what I need to fix it and all is good. Drivers side done move to passenger side and I can not get the valve cover off. The alt will not move out of the way because the belts are way to short so I pull the bolts to take it off and that didn't work. I have no IDEA how he even got them on because I could not do anything with them. So out comes my knife and I cut them off problems solved. I can now move the alt out of the way and finish the first project. So now that the covers are on I head to the part store to get 2 belts NOT!!! 4 trips into 4 different stores and I finally had to order them. So I'm still not done. I did get to see some 37 year old valve springs that Jed said weren't supposed to be in there.

The entire valve train top to bottom was 100% new. Comp Cam.
The valve cover bolts were new ARPs!
Are you sure you bought my old car....
I put on the Holley. I like them. I had it very dialed in perfectly.

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you Stan. The heads are factory color and the over spray on the springs match. So the heads were never boiled out. I did work for a engine re-builder in my younger days and the paint never stayed on when we hot tanked them, as you can see the heads are not the same color as the rest.

head 001.jpg

Something smells like a week old beached whale....
That is NOT the engine I installed then.................:eusa_think:

At the front of each head, I cut a couple of small scores in them with a die grinder to make sure I got the same heads back from the machine shop. See if they are still there.

mt8eh4.jpg

Notice the ARP bolts for the valve covers. And the coil location.

Last edited:
I didn't think so. I noticed earlier pulleys and brackets that would have come on 66-68 big blocks. Your engine would have come with a Saginaw power steering pump. Not the federal one thats on there. Maybe he plucked your engine for his charger and bolted in one from a clapped out Winnebago!!

Something smells like a week old beached whale....
That is NOT the engine I installed then.................:eusa_think:

Maybe he plucked your engine for his charger and bolted in one from a clapped out Winnebago!!
That's a stock old 440 in your car. No wonder it's a dog. That car hauled ***.
I'm sorry but that engine was an A-#1 top-notch build and I'm standing by those words. No detail was Mickey Moused.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you there are no score marks on the heads. So that tells me he pulled them off a put some piece of crap ones on it. He also changed out the fuel pump to the wrong one as it points toward the hose. The oil pan, block, intake, carb, and ignition are yours.
Now that's just wonderful screwed by a fellow mopar guy. Now here's a lesson in frustration. I should have keep boat racing at least I had a good chance to win. lol!!!!
I guess I will go ahead and pull the whole thing out and put in a 500 cube stroker. I was pricing them out all ready so it might happen sooner than later. I have a buyer for the motor and tranny already so !!!!!!!
The 4 speed will not hold a 600 ft pound torque monster anyways.
I did get new belts today and they did fit and no leaks from the valve covers now if I can find the antifreeze leak.

This really sucks. For one, you got misled about the car (but, what else is new from Craigslist) but also this unique one of a kind car's provenance has a serious scar on it now.
At this point, screw it, sawzall a hole in the hood and put a 6-71 on it. Make it a real WTF machine and have fun with it.

< Sent from my tablet >

Well I can tell you there are no score marks on the heads. So that tells me he pulled them off a put some piece of crap ones on it. He also changed out the fuel pump to the wrong one as it points toward the hose. The oil pan, block, intake, carb, and ignition are yours.
Now that's just wonderful screwed by a fellow mopar guy. Now here's a lesson in frustration. I should have keep boat racing at least I had a good chance to win. lol!!!!
I guess I will go ahead and pull the whole thing out and put in a 500 cube stroker. I was pricing them out all ready so it might happen sooner than later. I have a buyer for the motor and tranny already so !!!!!!!
The 4 speed will not hold a 600 ft pound torque monster anyways.
I did get new belts today and they did fit and no leaks from the valve covers now if I can find the antifreeze leak.

What tsxm are you going to use?

I've just started doing my research on this project. I'm thinking a low rev-er around 5500 with at least 550 to 600 ft pounds of torque so a auto with a 2500 stall might be the ticket. I'll have to add the bill up and see if it would be worth doing or pull the heads and cam and start over on this one. I know I can get a set of good ones for less than 1k and a RV cam for moving the land yacht.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back