1978 NYB New Engine.....

Why in the hell am I thinking 440? Those HP and torque numbers make more sense now.

I wanted to be able to use all the pulleys and brackets from the 400 or I would of had to get them off a 440 donor. They dont interchange from B to RB engines. It looks like I will have to go with an alternative setup anyways.

Oh, geez... I don’t want to bring up the net vs gross debate again! But I’d guess the builder is more likely to have numbers similar to SAE Gross.

I agree that this is a step up from the stock 400, and that I’d not want to deal with pulleys and accessories either.

Sorry you seem to need to do it anyway. That sucks.

Oh, geez... I don’t want to bring up the net vs gross debate again! But I’d guess the builder is more likely to have numbers similar to SAE Gross.

I agree that this is a step up from the stock 400, and that I’d not want to deal with pulleys and accessories either.

Sorry you seem to need to do it anyway. That sucks.

Going from barely 8:1 to 10.0 to 1 compression is going to increase the hp a little more. .030 overbore adds a little more. And an aggressive (but not crazy) cam adds to it also.

No, All the brackets are different from B to RB. Nothing interchanges.
Good to know about that alternator bracket. Thought they were the same.

PicsArt_07-30-01.28.19.jpg

Last edited:
Back