1986 Plymouth Horizon....Opinions.

.... out in the FUHOA Reservation. :rolleyes:

land a plenty...and not a Jim Lahey in sight

FUHOA Dance.gif

I witnessed a distracted (cell phone) driver in a Windstar hit a friend of mine in a 80s S10 head on about 45 mph.
Nothing my friend could have done to avoid it. He sat in the truck and screamed until he died. It only took about a minute. The kid in the Windstar walked away with a bruise or two. I don’t recall there being much of this kind of John Wayne tough guy talk from his parents at the funeral.
While I am sorry to hear about your friend and that you had to witness that, my point was to help highlight the differences between older and newer cars from a safety standpoint. Individual models crash differently and every crash is a unique.

John Wayne mentality aside, if you want to make someone safe... you'll find it's nearly impossible. I've been in a couple of hits I would have never expected to walk away from, if I'd had the luxury of planning them in advance... but came out better than the remains of the car would have had you believing. I've seen serious accidents that the car looked pretty good afterwards. Seat belts and airbags are a great idea, but old airbags aren't the same as they once were. I debate wanting to keep them as my one vehicle so equipped continues to age.

Back