Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Nope, not mine. Sorry if already here.

The cop stuff in Michigan gets my attention. Its an M but it carries a venerable C nameplate. NOT trying to embarass seller or diss the car, but this isnt a "police-package" car as built from factory. Lotta stuff in description doesnt line up with the cop package ("A38").

No 360's in M- cop cars were around in 1987 (EOP for pass. cars in 1980), its a 318-2V but not the HD cop mill, no cop speedo, and something's going on with the front end (looks like NY'er grille/lights) etc.

It may have been used as described - in some sort of "patrol/police" duty, but again I doubt its an "A38" rig. lotta neat semi-correct cop electronic gear though for the period.

anyway, hope it finds a good home. seems pretty clean inside and out but would need a good body inspection having spent its whole life in MI

1987 PLYMOUTH FURY POLICE PATROL PACKAGE / SPECIAL SERVICE

Seller description (edited): $3,800 OBO

1987 Plymouth Gran Fury Special Service / Police Patrol Package shop number 8706. I bought this at auction from the State of Michigan.

This patrol vehicle was originally assigned to the State of Michigan's Department of Corrections at the Northville Mental Hospital that closed in 1997.
Upgrades from the Special Service to the Police Patrol Package where made.

Our business operations ended in 2008.
With the exceptions of parades and shows the vehicle has been garage kept for the last 4 years until taken out for these photos.

Features :

Mopar Special Service 360 V8 cylinder engine.
120 ampere heavy duty alternator.
Mopar Premium Upgraded Audio Sound System with Compact Disc, Cassette Tape, AM, FM Radio, and Equalizer.
Federal Signal Twin Sonic Amber Lightbar.
Unity Spot Lamps.
Tridon Alternate Flashing High Beams and PAR 36 Front Bumper Lights.
100 Watts Siren Speaker.
Setina Push Bumper 100 Loops.
Federal Signal PA300 Siren Control Unit.
Federal Signal SW400SS Switch Control Box.
Radio Shack Model TRC-504 Two Way Radio with Public Address and Radio Rebroadcast Monitor Function.
Realistic Two Radio Radio Long Whip Aerial Antenna.
Realistic Two Way Radio Extension Speaker.
Realistic Passenger Side Video Dash Camera with Emerson Trunk Mounted Video Recorder.
Driver and Passenger Door Baton Holders.
Truck-Lite Front Dome Light and Rear Dome Light.
Setina Prisoner Partition.
Tridon Alternate Flashing Reverse Lamps and Rear Deck Package Shelf Lights.
Trunk Surface Mount Kidde Fire Extinguisher.
3M Safety Green 4 inches Reflective Stripping and Michigan PA330 Door Shield.
00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-1.jpg
00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg

Nope, not mine. Sorry if already here.

The cop stuff in Michigan gets my attention. Its an M but it carries a venerable C nameplate. NOT trying to embarass seller or diss the car, but this isnt a "police-package" car as built from factory. Lotta stuff in description doesnt line up with the cop package ("A38").

No 360's in M- cop cars were around in 1987 (EOP for pass. cars in 1980), its a 318-2V but not the HD cop mill, no cop speedo, and something's going on with the front end (looks like NY'er grille/lights) etc.

It may have been used as described - in some sort of "patrol/police" duty, but again I doubt its an "A38" rig. lotta neat semi-correct cop electronic gear though for the period.

anyway, hope it finds a good home. seems pretty clean inside and out but would need a good body inspection having spent its whole life in MI

1987 PLYMOUTH FURY POLICE PATROL PACKAGE / SPECIAL SERVICE

Seller description (edited): $3,800 OBO

1987 Plymouth Gran Fury Special Service / Police Patrol Package shop number 8706. I bought this at auction from the State of Michigan.

This patrol vehicle was originally assigned to the State of Michigan's Department of Corrections at the Northville Mental Hospital that closed in 1997.
Upgrades from the Special Service to the Police Patrol Package where made.

Our business operations ended in 2008.
With the exceptions of parades and shows the vehicle has been garage kept for the last 4 years until taken out for these photos.

Features :

Mopar Special Service 360 V8 cylinder engine.
120 ampere heavy duty alternator.
Mopar Premium Upgraded Audio Sound System with Compact Disc, Cassette Tape, AM, FM Radio, and Equalizer.
Federal Signal Twin Sonic Amber Lightbar.
Unity Spot Lamps.
Tridon Alternate Flashing High Beams and PAR 36 Front Bumper Lights.
100 Watts Siren Speaker.
Setina Push Bumper 100 Loops.
Federal Signal PA300 Siren Control Unit.
Federal Signal SW400SS Switch Control Box.
Radio Shack Model TRC-504 Two Way Radio with Public Address and Radio Rebroadcast Monitor Function.
Realistic Two Radio Radio Long Whip Aerial Antenna.
Realistic Two Way Radio Extension Speaker.
Realistic Passenger Side Video Dash Camera with Emerson Trunk Mounted Video Recorder.
Driver and Passenger Door Baton Holders.
Truck-Lite Front Dome Light and Rear Dome Light.
Setina Prisoner Partition.
Tridon Alternate Flashing Reverse Lamps and Rear Deck Package Shelf Lights.
Trunk Surface Mount Kidde Fire Extinguisher.
3M Safety Green 4 inches Reflective Stripping and Michigan PA330 Door Shield.
View attachment 206916 View attachment 206917 View attachment 206918 View attachment 206919 View attachment 206920

I wonder what's with the Fifth Avenue front end.

Last edited:
Typically, there were lesser "police" cars than the full-blown police packages. All the way down to a Slant Six model. "Police" front seats, back then, were typically buckets with simple vinyl covers and no console (the center is where other stuff was mounted to the floor). Might be a "porch light" dome light shining on the trans hump in the floor? Dual ash trays in the instrument panel?

Always was a little amused at a "police" vehicle with normal low beams and red/amber "high beam" headlights.

CBODY67

I wonder what's with the Fifth Avenue front end.

yeah, i said NYer, youre right, Fifth Aves.

the M header panels interchange as we know. so somewhere the header panel on this car got swapped out since VIN says its a plymouth.

00-1-2-3.jpg

this is the Gran Fury/Dippy style front end.

00-1-2-2-3.jpg

Last edited:
Typically, there were lesser "police" cars than the full-blown police packages. All the way down to a Slant Six model. "Police" front seats, back then, were typically buckets with simple vinyl covers and no console (the center is where other stuff was mounted to the floor). Might be a "porch light" dome light shining on the trans hump in the floor? Dual ash trays in the instrument panel?

Always was a little amused at a "police" vehicle with normal low beams and red/amber "high beam" headlights.

CBODY67

yeah uoure absolutely right. the police could order a full range of M's, and if used in police service they would all be "police' cars.

My bias are the A38/AHB (the latter code started in '83 or '84 for cop cars) so you get the cop car goodies: big brakes, big alternator, the PS/AT fluid coolers, five core radiator, 125 mph speedo, HD suspension, etc , and S codesin the VIN for the HD 318-4V (360 heads, moly this/that, windage tray, etc.)

anything else is kinda ordinary M .. cool, but wont perform like the S code, A38/AHB cars do.

Last edited:
Gonna run this temporarily off topic for a sec, but, what was the hottest possible setup of any M-body, civilian a/o cop?

Gonna run this temporarily off topic for a sec, but, what was the hottest possible setup of any M-body, civilian a/o cop?

cool boss, love to detour "off" but to a "related" topic.

my opinion, NO data in hand but seat of my pants, ownership of about 25 of these cars, and six-decade old brain cells that fire sometimes .. all 100% UN-scientific so nobody come after me with the torches/pitchforks please.

My E58 F-body (basic M and Fs were same car under the skin) Volare, and my E58 1980 M-body Lebaron were the flat out fastest of any Mopar cop car 1979-1989. in addition to 360-4V HP engines,both cars had 2.94:1 SGs and 727 transmissions and could flat-out get it.

The E58 was gone after 1980. The E48 (318-4V, 360 heads) was the hot cop mill after that through EOP. Somewhere in the 80's the E48 became the "ELE". OTHER changes were made 81-89 (the 727 went away, and the 900 series trannies showed up, electronics got better) to improve performance and ride/handling

ALL that to say, the civi M's never could match a pursuit-class M squad. Its ALL relative (none of 'em topped 200 HP, 1/4 mile times mid teens or so, etc.) so UN-fairly compared predecessor/successor standards, the M's are only fair/middlin performers.

Summarizing my OPINION, unless i dont understand your question, the hottest FACTORY-built M's were the pursuit-class 360-equipped E58 cars 1979 and 1980. After E58 left, the E48/ELE M's got getter and better 1981-1989 but any performance differences didnt register in the seat of my pants. in my judgement ALL "pursuit-class" M's were demonstrably superior to civi M's in every dimension except comfort and fuel economy.

Last edited:
Summarizing my OPINION, unless i dont understand your question, the hottest FACTORY-built M's were the pursuit-class 360-equipped E58 cars 1979 and 1980. After E58 left, the E48/ELE M's got getter and better 1981-1989 but any performance differences didnt register in the seat of my pants. in my judgement ALL "pursuit-class" M's were demonstrably superior to civi M's in every dimension except comfort and fuel economy.

You understood exactly.:)
:thankyou:

Probably some concoction they only offered in Mexico.

Random Car Review: The Dodge Magnums of Mexico

The Magnum started life as the coupe with the AHB police suspension package and came with the 360ci V8 hooked to either the A727 automatic or the A833 four-speed manual transmission. Given that it’s 1981-82 for these cars, you might shrug at that…Chrysler’s small blocks are many things, but “powerful” in the 1980s they weren’t. Mexican Mopars, on the other hand, were still swinging big, because the 360-powered Magnums were rated for 300hp from the factory. How’s that for a number? Additional items included for the big coupes included power brakes, stabilizers front and rear, and out back, either the 8.25 rear end or optionally, a Dana 44. Not surprisingly, very little of what made up a Magnum never made it into the U.S. market…had it appeared, the GM G-body line would have a direct competitor and the Camaro and Mustang would have been seriously worried…especially if the 300hp claim on the 360 was legit.

Of course, now I want one.

me too .. subject to the 300HP thing.

360's can generate that and way more with minor mods .. but from the factory in that era? dunno about that...cool car though!

Agreed and specifications from that era are sketchy... Hell, I can't even find factory lit on my RC which is 20 years newer. But I do know Mex-spec stuff wouldn't have had cats back then and I think premium fuel is more common both becuase of altitudes and Pemex. So it's at least plausible.

Semantics. I was more of the thought that it sure doesn't seem to be something that would be done by any agency, but rather once it got into civilian hands.

Called "oops we tappped another car and broke the grille." Fifth Aves are much more plentiful in junkyards.

In mentioning the Ms, there was also conjecture that "the black motors" had some special treatments at the engine plant. Like "better assembly" and "less spec deviation allowances" for their innards. As close to a factory blueprint motor as they could be and still go down an assembly line, in other words. Don't know that they made any more actual power, just that they were allegedly "breathed upon" by the Mopar Power Gods.

In the middle '80s, when normal M police spec cars were 318s, "Motor Treend" did a police car test. Compared to the 350 Impala (think square body Caprice), that little "brick" with a 318 was mere tenths of a second behind the beloved small block Chevy. All the way to top end speed. I thought THAT was pretty impressive as that LM1 350 was "Corvette spec" and sounded more powerful than a normal 350 Caprice did back then.

When TX went to Ms, to replace their prior Rs, they were certainly down on power, but with a different driving style, those "underpowered" Ms still bagged a lot of violators on the metro freeways.

Rs were loved, but in CA, they had so do some modifications for a little more power. Like a muffler-less exhaust system, cat-back. A few trans mods, as governor settings? All non-emissions-related things that helped a little, from what I've read.

To their credit, the Rs were the last Chrysler Corp cars to have a full dual exhaust, dual converters and all. ala Cordoba 300 360 HO. This required a new front floor section, which was probably shared with the '79 300, which also had a place for a console shifter! LH cat clearance was needed, plus two full sets of heat shields.

On the Ms, the dual converters and dual muffler pipes converged into a single over-the-axle pipe of larger proportions, as I recall. No real place for a lh pipe, due to configuration of the rear trunk floor panel. But possibly enough space could be made for dual pipes tacked together over the rear axle with a dual-pipe out the back?

Later Ms had a special air cleaner, to trap evap emissions from the carb and force them into the carbon canister, via a second carbon section inside of the air filter element in the air cleaner base. Z/28s and Chevy pickups of the era had a similar thing, but no snorkel "trap door".

Some neat cars and a big part of Chrysler Squads history!

CBODY67

Painting engines black vs. blue was just part of a perceived-quality initiative in the early 80s. Black didn't show oil seepage or rust when it inevitably began to flake off. The Japs had done it that way for years, eventuality everybody did it.

Painting engines black vs. blue was just part of a perceived-quality initiative in the early 80s. Black didn't show oil seepage or rust when it inevitably began to flake off. The Japs had done it that way for years, eventuality everybody did it.

Chevy did it too, in the earlier '80s, I believe. Although it had been advocated in the Chevy Perfo9rmance literature years prior. The model year they did it, our sales of small block valve cover gaskets plummeted big time. As mentioned, "couldn't see the seeps". Later, the center-bolt valve covers and an upgraded gasket further stopped that. The center-bolts had a folded flange which sent inside of the head flange, which lengthened the path of oil vapors and "splash" getting to the gasket. The stiffer center-bolt valve covers meant less deflection/deformation of the cover's gasket area, too.

As for Mexican-spec Dodge police cars, in one Univision (or similar) cops/robbers movie, the cops were driving Dodge K-cars. Off-the-hard surface roads to chase the bad guys. K-cars with 7" wide wheels and no hub caps. Looked pretty "mean"! No telling what kind of different motors were under their hoods. The dusty dirt "roads" didn't seem to faze them. Must have been about 30 of them in "the chase"? I smiled!

CBODY67

All moot. If I chanced upon an M-Body that grabbed my heart...
A Summit 408 SB is gonna get dropped in it.
I'll have to dump the exhaust in front of rear wheels but I don't care.

Or it might be an LT Caprice.. I dunno.

Last edited:
All moot. If I chanced upon an M-Body that grabbed my heart... A Summit 405 SB is gonna get dropped in it.

Or it might be an LT Caprice.. I dunno.

you'd enjoy my 1986 (rumored to be the least desirable M squad year .. i forget why) Dippie INTO which resides a 408 small block stroker, with a 727, but rest is ALL standard issue pursuit-class M body from factory.

Not this one, but about the 7 years ago version (i was about a grand cheaper than)

I no longer own any 9C1 (Caprice cop rigs from the upside down bathtub era 91-96) but wouldnt mind having another one.

Last edited:
you'd enjoy my 1986 (rumored to be the least desirable M squad year .. i forget why) Dippie INTO which resides a 408 small block stroker, with a 727, but rest is ALL standard issue pursuit-class M body from factory.
You're right. I would love it, but...
Pics or it never happened . :poke:
:p

All moot. If I chanced upon an M-Body that grabbed my heart...
A Summit 408 SB is gonna get dropped in it.
I dunno.
FWIW, my 88 Dippy copcar was one of the best-riding cars I've ever owned. But also very slow. I had added 2-1/4" dual exhaust but it didn't help much. My dream was either a 5.2 or 5.9 Maggie with an A500 and some 3.55 gears - but life got in the way.

The tailpipes can be exited under the quarterpanels, behind the rear wheels, if you don't mind that look. It's a GM look in the musclecar era, on an F or M-body I don't think it looks too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back