2nd time in three years

Although I have yet to nail this, thIS issue does not reside with the starter motor....
In the last month maybe less I've installed no less than 4 starter units on the car AND the very same 4 tested stand alone (off the car). All (except one...which I knew was defective) operated normally via jumper cables and the battery. Full current was applied and they worked perfectly each time. The starter I have now is a little less than 2 weeks old. I tried it stand alone before bolting it up. It worked perfectly then. It is highly unlikely it is malfunctioning. Just ten minutes ago I went I and tried it. The motor started with barely a twist of the key...as if nothing ever happened. This same behavior occurred with each other starter I had installed. This says to me the issue resides elsewhere.

Although I have yet to nail this, thIS issue does not reside with the starter motor....
In the last month maybe less I've installed no less than 4 starter units on the car AND the very same 4 tested stand alone (off the car). All (except one...which I knew was defective) operated normally via jumper cables and the battery. Full current was applied and they worked perfectly each time. The starter I have now is a little less than 2 weeks old. I tried it stand alone before bolting it up. It worked perfectly then. It is highly unlikely it is malfunctioning. Just ten minutes ago I went I and tried it. The motor started with barely a twist of the key...as if nothing ever happened. This same behavior occurred with each other starter I had installed. This says to me the issue resides elsewhere.

Also do a continuity check on the start wire from the relay to the solenoid to see if there is any resistance on that wire.

From my other post. You may have a wire that is causing intermittent issues. Resistance or a broken wire can cause this type of an issue. I would look at temporarily replacing the wire from the relay to the starter and see if that doesn't help.

Also do a continuity check on the start wire from the relay to the solenoid to see if there is any resistance on that wire.

From my other post. You may have a wire that is causing intermittent issues. Resistance or a broken wire can cause this type of an issue. I would look at temporarily replacing the wire from the relay to the starter and see if that doesn't help.

Yeh I agree that would seem like a more plausible cause. I had thought maybe even heat might be the issue. Because of how the starter cable ends connect to the mini starter (the terminals on the mini do not occupy the same position as a factory unit would), the cable is drawn a bit closer to the exhaust manifold flange and thus seeing more heat upon it. More heat=higher resistance. But then yesterday it started with no problem after having driven around for a good awhile.....and the difference in the cable location isn't that much. Grabbing at straws.

Yea, the starter is about 1-2wks old. Brand new RIGHT out of the box. I believe this is occurring because there is not enough voltage to the starter when the key is turned. The "clicking" is the solenoid yes, but I swear there is also "something" happening behind the dashboard when this event occurs....a click or something that sounds sort of like the turn signal blinker. Might there be another electromechanical device back there.....that is part of the start circuit? The FSM (nor Chiltons) does not show anything of the sort. Jeez, this feels like a wild goose chase.

Could the other faint click be coming from the starter relay, being that it's mounted on the firewall right in front of the dash? Not that the relay is defective. Just that most relays of any kind do make a very faint click when they switch. Just a thought.

Could the other faint click be coming from the starter relay, being that it's mounted on the firewall right in front of the dash? Not that the relay is defective. Just that most relays of any kind do make a very faint click when they switch. Just a thought.
As I thought too at first. I had someone continuously turning the key while I (somehow) squeezed up under the dash trying to see where the sound was coming from. Probably bulged a few discs in my back doing it. The "sound" seems to be emitting from somewhere near the glove box. Christ I really don't know anymore. I think I'm gonna go with BJS suggesting and examine the starter cable more closely. But what the hell would work and not work randomly. I can go out in the garage right now and the car will start right up. Its teasing me.

One more thing to think about. The relay has a ground circuit that goes to the nss switch on the trans. if that wire is faulty or broken it could also cause this type of an issue.

As I thought too at first. I had someone continuously turning the key while I (somehow) squeezed up under the dash trying to see where the sound was coming from. Probably bulged a few discs in my back doing it. The "sound" seems to be emitting from somewhere near the glove box. Christ I really don't know anymore. I think I'm gonna go with BJS suggesting and examine the starter cable more closely. But what the hell would work and not work randomly. I can go out in the garage right now and the car will start right up. Its teasing me.

Swing it by my place and we'll get it fixed! Bring 66sportfury with you. I know he'll go along for the ride! LOL.

Swing it by my place and we'll get it fixed! Bring 66sportfury with you. I know he'll go along for the ride! LOL.
I'd have to drive non-stop. First time I shut it down I KNOW the ***** isn't gonna fire up again. My luck I'd get stuck in bumblefucville on the way there.....end up being dragged into someone's basement and repeatedly accosted by sadomasochists like in the movie "Pulp Fiction",lol.

I'd have to drive non-stop. First time I shut it down I KNOW the ***** isn't gonna fire up again. My luck I'd get stuck in bumblefucville on the way there.....end up being dragged into someone's basement and repeatedly accosted by sadomasochists like in the movie "Pulp Fiction",lol.

Damn man I am really glad I swallowed my drink before I read that!

Shot in the dark here: I had a similar issue (albeit not including the mystery under-dash noise) and one good cleaning of the battery posts and mating surface of the battery cables (even though they looked spotless) and it hasn't come back since...

Okay I did not know (4), I vote starter lead from relay to starter high resistance wire to lug.

You may be able to see this after dark even if car starts right up at bottom lug, sparks, glowing, etc.

when it wont start, have you ever tried rocking the car back and forth? ive had 2 cars that ive had to do this on - a 68 cougar and a 2010 nitro. its like not in park, rocking the car locks something or engages something that is only partially engaged or something,, but then it will start.

on my nitro daily driver, when I park it I tap the shifter in P and rock the car a bit. sucks to have to do that on a 2010 car... but anyways im just throwing that out there.

You just have to think of that as an adventure and something to laugh about when you tell your grandkids the story.

The Ned Beatty thingy still haunts you, eh??

Posted via Topify on Android

banjo-o.gif

Yes, I read all about that dualing banjo scene. Very interesting. Imagine your 15 minutes of fame was because you looked like a retard??

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Back