2nd time in three years

My 2 cents, the clicking is probably always there but not heard because starter turns over drowning it out, most likely a relay to kill power to hvac system/blower motor allowing all the battery to go to starter. I would take BJS advice and ground starter relay direct as your nss might be not grounding when hot or infiltrated with trans fluid, do the reverse lights work all the time every time? this is the next thing I would go after, good luck.

most likely a relay to kill power to hvac system/blower motor allowing all the battery to go to starter.

These systems do not have power to them while in the cranking position. They are on an ACC feed from the swtich and loose power while cranking the engine. You have no idea how many arguements my dad and I have gotten into about this because he used to make a big deal about "you have to turn the A/C off before you start the car because it puts too much load on the starter". Well you can't beat a dog into changing his ways. He is still the same way even though I have proven it to him on 5 different cars that he has had. Oh well.

>>Turn key all the way to start position. Nothing occurs EXCEPT for a "click" sound which seems to be coming from within the dashboard, somewhere in the middle or closer to pass side. This "click" sounds like the turn signal blinker, but not continuous. It occurs once.
I still can not rule out this:

28inwn6.jpg

Damn!!!! I know you're probably thinking of torching the car for the insurance money at this point.

Gary, when you're calmed down, write down everything that is new so we can figure out what's left. And would you please eventually get around to doing my fusible link test???

Posted via Topify on Android
So I heated the fusible link (lt. blue) for a good 10 minutes with a 1500 watt hair dryer earlier this morning. Made sure it got nice and hot, in fact looked like it was beginning to melt so I stopped. Got in car as quickly as I could and turned the key - the car STILL started right up. Anyways I've always been under the impression that when the fusible link melts (completely) there is NO power in the car anywhere. At least that's what happened when I had to replace the original fusible link. Lost everything one day getting off 6 lane highway. Completely dead. It can deteriorate/degrade/melt a bit without causing any power outage.

IMG_3674.jpg

As odd as this may sound I had the same problem and I couldn't figure it out. I traced all electrical and everything. I went online and read an article that talked about the plates in the battery boiling. It only happened when hot, once cooled down things were fine. If given a jump it would start up also. So run car re-create problem, ether get a jump or try another battery. Iam almost positive you will find your problem is the battery. It will load test fine and work fine cooled.

As odd as this may sound I had the same problem and I couldn't figure it out. I traced all electrical and everything. I went online and read an article that talked about the plates in the battery boiling. It only happened when hot, once cooled down things were fine. If given a jump it would start up also. So run car re-create problem, ether get a jump or try another battery. Iam almost positive you will find your problem is the battery. It will load test fine and work fine cooled.

That's interesting.................. NEVER heard that happen before.

YES!!..got an event on video. Listen for "click" as key is turned to the start position (there are multiple clicks as I kept trying..its not the starter either)...on the last try it sort of "stumbles" into a successful start. The car was hot as I had to run out to do errands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm8ZY3G5gWE&feature=youtu.be

ALSO....this is pic in driveway. Running with car in park and emerg. brake engaged. This telling me something's going on with the NSS or what? First pick is with parking lights on. Second no lights on.

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

This isn't what you were looking for, but your car sounds awesome.

You also have a different problem from mine. I can hear my solenoid click, and I'm thinking it's the starter wire (like you thought at one point! ).

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Yes something is wrong with the NSS. This may be what is causing the trouble. Did you try and ground the G terminal of the relay yet and see if the issue goes away?

ALSO....this is pic in driveway. Running with car in park and emerg. brake engaged. This telling me something's going on with the NSS or what? First pick is with parking lights on. Second no lights on.

DING DING DING DING

rt49px.jpg

:dancing_monkey: :banana: :beavisnbutthead:

This isn't what you were looking for, but your car sounds awesome.

You also have a different problem from mine. I can hear my solenoid click, and I'm thinking it's the starter wire (like you thought at one point! ).

Sorry I can't be of any help.
Hey thanks, no problem. Just a nicely warmed up 383 4bbl w/ hotter cam.

I believe (not 100% sure) that the nss grounds through the threads when it screws into the trans so I would loosen it up and retighten it to see if that helps any. You could be loosing the ground when it gets warm or the switch its self (looks more to be the case right now) could just be going bad.

I just so happen to have a brand spanking new NSS out in the parts bin. Back to the relay for a sec......is that a ground connection?

IMG_3698.jpg

Back