318 Engine issue - Vacuum leak?

Pana.Mopar

Reaction score
Hi Team,

Happy New Year to all.

Need some assistance with engine issue with the 318 in my 68 Polara.

Got it idling nicely but as soon as I put it into gear (727 Auto) it dies. I'm assuming this is a vacuum leak? It's a stock 318 with Edelbrock 4bbl intake a Edelbrock carb. Any assistance on where I should start looking for the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Did the problem just start? Did you just put the carburetor on and the problem started then? Check the back of the carb. for any unplugged ports. It does sound like a vacuum leak. Check the timing as well. Maybe the timing is off. What RPM is it idling at?

Did the problem just start? Did you just put the carburetor on and the problem started then? Check the back of the carb. for any unplugged ports. It does sound like a vacuum leak. Check the timing as well. Maybe the timing is off. What RPM is it idling at?
Have never had it running until now. First time I've cranked it over. New Edelbrock Performer 600 carb on it. New plugs, leads, water pump etc.. Gave it a freshen up.

x2 on vacuum leaks, check the back of the carb for a nipple that hasn't been plugged (often used for power brakes) or a hole there where a nipple would thread into. Also if you used a square spacer on the intake, some of them have a hole in it, make sure it's plugged. Make sure your carb is tight to the intake, with a new gasket in between.

Hi Team,

Happy New Year to all.

Need some assistance with engine issue with the 318 in my 68 Polara.

Got it idling nicely but as soon as I put it into gear (727 Auto) it dies. I'm assuming this is a vacuum leak? It's a stock 318 with Edelbrock 4bbl intake a Edelbrock carb. Any assistance on where I should start looking for the issue?

Thanks in advance.
I have had this problem when the choke opened too quickly.

I had a similar problem when an accelerator pump did not work properly. In that case, the engine died as soon as I stepped on the gas.

probably wouldn't idle too nicely with a vacuum leak. don't overlook the potential for a vacuum leak in the brake booster. might only leak when you depress the brake as you put it in gear.

probably wouldn't idle too nicely with a vacuum leak. don't overlook the potential for a vacuum leak in the brake booster. might only leak when you depress the brake as you put it in gear.
That's why I asked what RPM it is idling at. I've seen a few with a high idle run fairly nice that had a vacuum leak. Where is the timing set at?

I had the brake booster problem in the past. The nipple broke and had to hit the local parts store for a replacement. Ran like crap. Do the old carb and choke cleaner trick, when it's idling in park, spray in certain areas around carb, spacer, hoses etc. and see if it affects the idle.

That's why I asked what RPM it is idling at.
i agree. if compensated with extra fuel it would run smooth but idle high. some other possibilities would be that the vacuum advance is hooked up to manifold instead of ported vacuum and/or the timing was set with the advance connected, or that the metering rods are just stuck down.

Back