383 upgrades

BGarff

Reaction score
Best upgrades for a 2bbl 66 383? I already have a holley 830hp carb. $400 budget on hop-ups not including the carb. I have bo problem tearing apart the motor as its already on the stand. :poke:

Cam, intake, and electronic ignition (ignitor 2 or 3 by Pertronix) are the best upgrades you can make. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to "over-carburate" your car. Anything above 650 CFM is too much for a 383. I have an 625 Edelbrock on my '67. Also keep in mind that your carb may need a rebuild if it has sat for awhile. If you want some serious power, save up $5,000 for a stroker kit, machine shop work, and Trick Flow heads... :)

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to "over-carburate" your car. Anything above 650 CFM is too much for a 383. :)

That's the biggest lie I have ever heard! In the 60's, guys used to take a stock 383 and add a 750 and a set of headers and go racing and clean house!

It does have mech. secondaries, i figure that it'll fix the lag from vacuum secondaries

That's the biggest lie I have ever heard! In the 60's, guys used to take a stock 383 and add a 750 and a set of headers and go racing and clean house!
Yeah. Bigger carbs are good for high RPM running at high speeds. Low end torque is far more enjoyable for the places that you can't go over 80 mph. Thats why you want a smaller carb!

It does have mech. secondaries, i figure that it'll fix the lag from vacuum secondaries

If your carb was a 600-650 CFM with mechanical secondaries, you would probably be ok. A 750-850 CFM carb would work on your 383 if it had vacuum secondaries. Chrysler put lots of 800CFM carbs on small motors.....example, the '71 340.
With a properly setup carb and ignition, you won't have any bogs or lags.

On a tight budget, I would suggest finding a cast 4bbl intake or a used stock looking aluminum one, a used 383-440 Magnum cam with lifters, electronic ignition, a used 340-383 HP torque converter and headers. Sell or trade that holley 830hp carb and buy a 650-750 vacuum secondary carb. 2cents

On a tight budget, I would suggest finding a cast 4bbl intake or a used stock looking aluminum one, a used 383-440 Magnum cam with lifters, electronic ignition, a used 340-383 HP torque converter and headers. Sell or trade that holley 830hp carb and buy a 650-750 vacuum secondary carb. 2cents
Someone gets it... minus the headers. :D

The car already has a holley 600cfm w/ vacuum secs. And a 68 roadrunner 4bbl intake, and electronic ignition. The carb just seems kinda weak nomatter the tune and the intake looks super-restrictive.

With a cam and an intake, would I be able to pull off the 830hp? I got a killer deal on it and I've been dying to use it since i put some tiny jets in it and rebuilt it

The standard pertronix 1 (if that's what it's called) with the flamethrower coil works incredibly well. I've seen a lot of banter on here with complaints about the 2 & 3 kits. If you're on a budget the 1 with the coil is less than 140 bucks.

The pertronix 1 works well, but if you leave your car with the key on and not running, it may fail prematurely.

The pertronix 1 works well, but if you leave your car with the key on and not running, it may fail prematurely.
I have an odd paranoia of leaving the key on so it just doesn't happen with me.

Back