NOT MINE 428HO/4-Speed: 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix Not mine

I know I'm talking more about a Pontiac than I talk about C bodies on this site. I've not owned a C body yet so.....
I have owned the grand prix for many years and have had many pontiacs. Those were affordable hot rods when I was younger as I couldn't afford mopars back then. in the mid to late 90's.

Some of us like all sorts of cars & I'm one of those. I remember the 69-72 GP's being fairly common through the late 70's around these parts but almost completely disappeared by the 80's. I haven't seen one in person in the area for a long time including at many car shows. Those GP's are underappreciated classics, kind of like C's.

I know I'm talking more about a Pontiac than I talk about C bodies on this site.

I´m listening :D:D

IMG_20200905_173854.jpg

Found some interesting brochures. The GP was considered an intermediate, but surprisingly the dimensions are very close to the "little" C's, i.e. 65-68 Plymouth slabs. Heck of a lot of ways to configure a GP in those days, from mild to wild.
69 GP 1.jpg
69 GP 2a.jpg
69 GP 2b.jpg

I can honestly say if I didn't get a Mopar I would seriously consider a nice Pontiac from the 60's.

Found some interesting brochures. The GP was considered an intermediate, but surprisingly the dimensions are very close to the "little" C's, i.e. 65-68 Plymouth slabs. Heck of a lot of ways to configure a GP in those days, from mild to wild.

That's VERY close to the one I gave up for my 300. I didn't have the rally sport steering wheel, 8 track tape player or tissue dispenser but had everything else. Window sticker was tickling $6,500 in 1969. Color was expresso brown, dark fawn top, saddle leather seating surfaces, $199 on the sticker and the hated ATC with the usual issues.

That's VERY close to the one I gave up for my 300. I didn't have the rally sport steering wheel, 8 track tape player or tissue dispenser but had everything else. Window sticker was tickling $6,500 in 1969. Color was expresso brown, dark fawn top, saddle leather seating surfaces, $199 on the sticker and the hated ATC with the usual issues.

Found a near perfect model of my car, unfortunately out of production now. I had added the hood tach, factory tires were Goodyear Polyglas G70x14, mine shipped with redlines, never saw a new one with Firestones.

81H1QHHoDEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So would competition for this be the T-Bird?
View attachment 450568
Interesting picture to use. That's a '67 4-door; my parents had one for two years; was a real POS.

Historically, was the first 4-door T-Bird. Ford thought they'd hit a homerun with this car, they didn't. Today they are sought, not so then.

Interesting picture to use. That's a '67 4-door; my parents had one for two years; was a real POS.

Historically, was the first 4-door T-Bird. Ford thought they'd hit a homerun with this car, they didn't. Today they are sought, not so then.
It’s actually a 69.
I agree that the 4 doors were a flop.
I had a 67 4 door in ‘97 as a demolition derby car and couldn’t believe how in-roomy the interior was for such a large car. It also had a LOT of vacuum hose in it as the power door locks were vacuum operated.

I don’t know anything about that specific car. I just searched for a 69 tbird and that’s one that came up.
I will say that the tbirds of that era had the cool tilt / swing away steering column.
The 390 that was in the tbird that I destroyed ran very strong.
I always thought that the embedded crankshaft in those engines was a very good design.

I don’t know anything about that specific car. I just searched for a 69 tbird and that’s one that came up.
I will say that the tbirds of that era had the cool tilt / swing away steering column.
The 390 that was in the tbird that I destroyed ran very strong.
I always thought that the embedded crankshaft in those engines was a very good design.
I didn't know if you took the shot, therefore knowing the car.

The vacuum operated steering wheel was one of the many, ongoing problems with my folk's T-Bird. It would stop working about every three months, My Dad just got tired of fixing it, so he stopped! The columns in previous years were manually moved, no vacuum. Don't know why they switched.

The 390 was fine, but my Mom always complained of its lack of power compared to the '65 383 HP Newport they sold when they bought it. Didn't get as good of MPG either, but it was a heavier car.

Another reoccurring problem was it went through three water pumps in two years. One time the pump sheered off and damaged the radiator. That was about the time my Dad decided the car was finished!! He traded it for a new, 1971 Toyota Crown, the largest car Toyota made, and came with a six. Two years later my Dad dumped that POS too! Bought a 4-door Maverick he would own for 14 years! What did he replace that one with? '83 T-bird! He loved that new shape!

Iv'e always liked these GP's the best.
There were two 4spd cars that sat in a field in town here for years. I can remember taking my fatherV inlaw to check them out. They are the only 4 speeds I have ever seen.

Iv'e always liked these GP's the best.
There were two 4spd cars that sat in a field in town here for years. I can remember taking my fatherV inlaw to check them out. They are the only 4 speeds I have ever seen.
Still there? I'm interested....

Back