440 Oil pressure light with hard stopping/cornering

73Coupe

Reaction score
The trouble light comes on momentarily with hard stopping or cornering. The oil level is halfway between add and full. Obviously there's a problem with the pickup design or lack of baffles in the pan. I've never experienced this with another vehicle. When the light comes on, I shift into neutral until it goes off (usually about 5-10 seconds).

Does anyone have a photo of a pan taken off the motor so we can see what the inside looks like?

What about suggestions for pan mods or an aftermarket pan with improved design?

The factory pan has no baffles..do you really need to see what that looks like? It will not do that if the engine has the proper amount of oil in it. I had an old beater Newport that did the same thing...when I saw the light flicker, it was time to top up the oil or change it.

Are you sure you have the correct dipstick for your engine? It really might just be low on oil. Just an initial thought. Nice looking car.

If its a stock engine I would change the oil and filter first and fil up to full, and then try some hard cornering again before removing the pan.

Might you think about installing a "numbered" oil pressure gauge to supplement the red light? Not super expensive, easy to install and you could probably tuck it under the dash enough so that it cannot be readily seen, if that's something that nags you.

Recent oil change and filter, and I usually like to keep the level not too full so the oil stays out of the crank windage. maybe I just need to lighten up on my driving habits or keep the crank case more full.

I'm sure the dipstick is original to the car - nothing on the car has been messed with.

Was just curious to see what the pan looks like inside, baffle or no baffle, if anybody had a pic handy from a recent rebuild or something. I don't plan on pulling the pan just for this issue, but if I happen to have it off in the future I might want to install a baffle or a better designed pan to help keep oil in the sump. Most oil problems in engines are due to sump or pickup problems, not pump issues.

Oil pressure gauges are better than lights, a combo is even better. Might do that in the future!

Might you think about installing a "numbered" oil pressure gauge to supplement the red light? Not super expensive, easy to install and you could probably tuck it under the dash enough so that it cannot be readily seen, if that's something that nags you.

x2 get a mechanical guage hooked up and see where your oil pressure is at idle and off idle,perhaps a bad sending unit or an oil pump on its way out. Idiot lights are just that, when they come on it`s already too late.

Mr. C is right, of course. My 300 does the exact same thing if I let it get a little low. Add 1/2 quart, problem solved.

Pressure gauge is also a no-brainer.

Oops!

In my case, I found that running a cooler T-stat did prevent the oil light from flickering when idling in traffic on hot days.

A heavier weight oil, depending on what oil is in it now, may help.

You could also try running the oil level at the "Full" mark just to see if the oil light still flickers. (I would try that first. :laughing7:)

It all boils down to oil pressure......... My first experience with an oil light flickering was a bad pump. The next was bad bearings due to running the car with a bad pump. The last time I had the oil light flickering was the sending unit wire was loose ...

Incidentally, I had read an extensive banter on this board or perhaps the Drydock of guys running more oil than the recommended amount. Their thought was that the pan actually holds more than what Chrysler says it does...... Any thoughts?

Well...if you change the filter and pour 5 quarts of oil in it and its at the full mark...the dipstick is the right one.

But it could be the thermostat...as others have mentioned. LOL!:eek:ccasion14:

The 7 quart will hang an inch or two under the frame and if you aren't careful, you can smash it... I know this because I've done it. No fun....

You are putting 5 quarts in... correct? It sounds like you are just running out of oil. Windage really isn't a big problem with the 440. The crank is up out of the pan, but if you do pull the pan, a windage tray is pretty easy to install at that point.

I've run an extra quart in them before. No isssues. The level is nowhere near the crank when it's running anyway.. It's only close when the engine's off. Overfilling won;t hurt with a qt, 2 qts will be too much and make a mess.
My advice - if it's not at full - fill it! Then drive it however you want. That car will skid and push way before the oil pressure goes away. Yes - personal experience there.

If it were me I'd get that numeric gauge in there pronto. Cheap insurance....can keep and eye on things at all times.....no guessing.

Is the wire on the sending unit, I had this happen this summer with my challenger wire was hanging loose right next to sending unit. Took a off ramp quick light came on went off when car straightened up, also did it on 1-2 shift a couple of times, my wife laughed and told me I was going to blow it up. I got the last laugh when I found the wire loose later on.

Back