509 vs custom

RV cams used to be the easy, go to upgrade for a big car or van. Also referred to as “towing cams” giving a smooth idle but noticeable low end improvement and not requiring any other improvements unless you want to re-curve the distributor and jet the carb.
Years ago we put an RV cam in a 79 Dodge “Street Van”. It really woke up that 318. RV big block engine swaps were a popular performance up-grade for a C body back in the day.

Yup, she is a big ol girl. As you can see i baby her

20190210_150244.jpg

20190213_092545.jpg

I've said it in other threads - I don't know anything about that car or whether a hustlers game is being played, but it definitely works better than the average car with similar specs. Attention to detail or not the full story, who knows :D

I've said it in other threads - I don't know anything about that car or whether a hustlers game is being played, but it definitely works better than the average car with similar specs. Attention to detail or not the full story, who knows :D
No, secrets, i think i have spilled the entire beans good and bad on a number of threads here. I will answer any questions.

You think MEV is trying to pull something on everyone here? It's not an exotic combo, and the numbers add up. 4800 lbs car, and lets be conservative and call it 550 hp. He is running Cal-Tracs and slicks on a prepped surface. Mid 12's all day. With some more aggressive gearing he could probably get into the 12-teens or better...but at the cost of highway driveability.

You want a 15 second recipe, stick with stock displacement, stock cast iron intake, shitty vac secondary carb, log manifolds, highway gears and a stock convertor. Presto, slow car, no magic.

Feel free to play with the 1/4 mile calc yourself. It does assume ideal traction, gearing etc, but after that the numbers are pretty close to reality if the car is well set up.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

You think MEV is trying to pull something on everyone here? It's not an exotic combo, and the numbers add up. 4800 lbs car, and lets be conservative and call it 550 hp. He is running Cal-Tracs and slicks on a prepped surface. Mid 12's all day. With some more aggressive gearing he could probably get into the 12-teens or better...but at the cost of highway driveability.

You want a 15 second recipe, stick with stock displacement, stock cast iron intake, shitty vac secondary carb, log manifolds, highway gears and a stock convertor. Presto, slow car, no magic.

Feel free to play with the 1/4 mile calc yourself. It does assume ideal traction, gearing etc, but after that the numbers are pretty close to reality if the car is well set up.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

There's that dammed calculator again that got me spending $ chasing , I dunno a number

MEV was solidly in the 12's with HP cast iron exhaust manifolds. Ask him how much faster he went with TTI headers and exhaust.

Last edited:
That must be newer news than I heard. Did he make it to the 11's??

Been a while since I watched the vids but what I remember was solid 12.80's with the manifolds, and 12.20's with the TTI's...

Messin with the 1/4 mile calc that tells me he gained somewhere around 60-70 hp with the headers and system from TTI.

Been a while since I watched the vids but what I remember was solid 12.80's with the manifolds, and 12.20's with the TTI's...

Messin with the 1/4 mile calc that tells me he gained somewhere around 60-70 hp with the headers and system from TTI.

Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

That is considerable and about what I’d figure on a car that strong, but not worth it to me for the hassle of dealing with headers on a primarily street driven car.

Totally get it on a car raced often or where absolute best E.T. is a top priority.

No disrespect meant to anyone who prioritizes E.T. and wants every 10th they can get. Makes sense then. If that became important to me then I’d run them too. As 6/10s = about a 600 lb weight reduction.

A 600 lb reduction would result in another 6/10s.

Back