51 Cranbrook 6cyl question

Golden Banana

Reaction score
Not sure if I am shooting this question in the right place but I was asked to time up my
friends ole Plymouth Cranbrook as he didn't have a strobe gun

And even with the workshop manual I couldn't figure out the markings on the crank pulley as there wasn't an illustration of it?
we had to have an educated guess which marking was tdc and road test it to get the best result ....did the screwdriver in the hole
thing too!

.....but its nagging in my brain what all the marks on the pulley are (at least 20 before I went cross eyed counting!!)
as non of the marks have a letter or a number stamped by them.

To give you an idea looking onto the top of the pulley from the drivers side fender we ended up at tdc around 1/3 of the way up the markings?

Can anyone tell me which mark tdc is please .....photo maybe??
Many thanks Kevin

time up my

Many thanks Kevin

I think I remember the timing marks being on the flywheel, visible through a sight hole....... Passenger side.

Correction,...... on the vibration damper...... tough to see

No, he's smart. He has a ton of proprietory images plus if everyone keeps linking to pictures on his site, he pays for all that extra bandwidth being sucked up with him doing the hosting. I'd do it too.

Not sure if I am shooting this question in the right place but I was asked to time up my

And even with the workshop manual I couldn't figure out the markings on the crank pulley as there wasn't an illustration of it?
we had to have an educated guess which marking was tdc and road test it to get the best result ....did the screwdriver in the hole
thing too!

.....but its nagging in my brain what all the marks on the pulley are (at least 20 before I went cross eyed counting!!)
as non of the marks have a letter or a number stamped by them.

To give you an idea looking onto the top of the pulley from the drivers side fender we ended up at tdc around 1/3 of the way up the markings?

Many thanks Kevin

See attached photo here. Not sure if the ol' Plymouth has just a pulley like my 6 or a damper as well. The markings should be similar though. TDC is right in the middle. It helps if you clean the pulley and highlight the marks as shown here. BTDC is to the right...sometimes marked by an "A". On this pulley, they went as far as 10 degrees on either side.
Timing should be set at very low idle (about 500) and time it to TDC to start with. these motors don't take a lot of initial advance. Maybe 5 degrees max. If you give it a little initial, take it out on the road and floor it when at cruising speed. If it pings, back it off slightly. Good luck!

Edit: but shite, if you ain't got a timing light. rotate the crank by hand, using the hole above #6 as a guide with a wire or something, then when you're at TDC (or desired setting) rotate the dizzy until the points just begin to open.

IMG_0031.jpg

No, he's smart. He has a ton of proprietory images plus if everyone keeps linking to pictures on his site, he pays for all that extra bandwidth being sucked up with him doing the hosting. I'd do it too.

I thought you were referring to the banana guy. That was the first image to pop up when I googled his info request. Folks need to learn about search engines before asking obscure questions. It took about 30 seconds to find that photo and answer his question.

I don't think anybody should be criticized for asking questions. Why not just help a guy out? And minimize the needless banter.

I don't think anybody should be criticized for asking questions. Why not just help a guy out? And minimize the needless banter.

The reason I did that was to help the guy out. I'm not against asking questions, but I will always try to find the answer myself first. It's amazing what one can learn while looking for a specific piece of information.

Also ....... near as I can tell, there is no such thing as "needless banter" on this site.

Thanks for all your help guys! ...I did try to find pics of the six and its timing marks for quite a while but I was getting pissed off with engine pulley shots from every other engine than the one I was looking for?!? just thought I would ask you guys in the states as you are all more likely to have reference/experience with these engines than any other group I know.
The silver engine shot (thanks '73) is the money shot I was after as it shows the big triangle timing pointer and the range of degrees, I wouldn't have had a problem if there were any letters adjacent to the timing marks ....but their was not, as it turns out we have derived at a timing just slightly advanced of TDC which allows the engine to pull hard without pinking so all good .......thanks for your time people :sSig_thanks:

Back