Wheel Stud Question

Hey Griswold 00,
How are you making out?? Was Crazyboutwagons
The answer to the initial problem ????
I am here for you, if you need or want, +++ Asbestos+++ Brake Shoes, New Brake Drums, etc., etc.
Hope you can get your baby back on the road....
Before the end of the season......
Yours, Craig......
Not EVERYTHING has to be on hold until 2021 !!!!!!

Hey Griswold 00,
How are you making out?? Was Crazyboutwagons
The answer to the initial problem ????
I am here for you, if you need or want, +++ Asbestos+++ Brake Shoes, New Brake Drums, etc., etc.
Hope you can get your baby back on the road....
Before the end of the season......
Yours, Craig......
Not EVERYTHING has to be on hold until 2021 !!!!!!
Hey Craig! Yep Crazyboutwagons was able to get me the new hub shipped out and it installed pretty easily :)

Yes, what he's asking is very important. Many people are not aware of the fact that until 1971, the threads on the Driver's side were left-threaded. Many times people have tried to remove them until they simply break off.

Your '66 Polara will be in the same condition.

I have even had Chrysler dealers break them, and that was after reminding them the studs were original and the driver side were left threaded! :wtf: I have now switched to right threaded all around just to prevent that from happening again.

I have even had Chrysler dealers break them, and that was after reminding them the studs were original and the driver side were left threaded! :wtf: I have now switched to right threaded all around just to prevent that from happening again.
That's just rediculous.

I was at a shop once when a guy was trying to take off the rear wheels on my Buddy's 300 Hurst. I heard him hammering away with his impact gun. I looked at him and said, "Reverse it." He looked at me like he did not understand. I said, "Reverse your gun; those studs are left-threaded." He looked at his boss, who was standing next to me, as if questioning what I said. The boss said, "Give it a shot; can't f'n hurt." He did and viola!! I then said, "Yeah, most people will keep hitting the nuts until they break the studs... as I see you already have done."

I noticed the first two were broken off. I called my Buddy and told him what this idiot had done.

Whats the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result? After the first one broke he should have thought something was wrong? After the second he should have been convinced. But he was working on the third!!!

you know about the left hand thread thing ?
Get rid of the left handed studs. 99% of mechanics are clueless about them. They will hammer on them with the impact wrench and stretch them to the point they will fail when you're driving down the road. I had this happen on my left front and when the wheel fell off the fender was destroyed. Fortunately it wasn't the rear tire or the car would have been destroyed.

Get rid of the left handed studs. 99% of mechanics are clueless about them. They will hammer on them with the impact wrench and stretch them to the point they will fail when you're driving down the road. I had this happen on my left front and when the wheel fell off the fender was destroyed. Fortunately it wasn't the rear tire or the car would have been destroyed.
This is what I plan on doing, too. The bonehead who owned the car before me neglected to tell me about the sheared left rear wheel stud (see image). I accept some blame, since really I should have pulled all of the wheel covers to check. However, he had to change the wheels on the car, from his alloys back to the 14 inch steel wheels, and then put on the stock wheel covers. So, he knowingly made this omission about the car’s condition, but told us it would be safe to drive from Crawfordsville, Indiana to St. Louis, Missouri. Going to swap all of them on the left side for right hand thread studs when able.

49310695-28C5-4812-A386-88ED6E7BC0F5.jpeg

So we went to get new tires on my son's 66 Polara 2dr Hardtop yesterday and found out the jackwagon who had it before used some incorrect wheel studs, and JB Welded them in place. Needless to say the JB Weld did not hold up to the shops impact guns. So we have 3 loose studs in one wheel.

Speedway motors is local for me, which is super nice, but I am totally confused by the sizes and Knurl on the studs on their site. Does anyone know what size studs I should get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Go to Autozone or O'Rilleys and tell them the make and model. Very good chance they have them in stock. If not they can order them from their warehouse. $10-15 for 5. No confusion factor involved. Might as well buy the nuts to go with them too. Worked for me.

Back