59 imperial Swivel seat question

dart165

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to grab a factory swiveling seat out of a 59 Imperial 4dr in a local yard here in MI.

Wondering if:
A: It'd be worth the trouble of trying to exhume that heavy beast. I don't have a 59, nor do i plan to any time soon, but is there a market for a piece like this?

B: is the frame/base interchangeable with a 2dr seat? I assume that some would like it if they happen to have a 4dr that could use it, but it might be something that 2dr guys could use as well if there's a way to mount the tilting seat backs to it...

C: is this an imperial only piece? I know Chrysler and Desoto had swivel seats and an option, but were they the same base/fames as the Imperials?

I'll post photos from home later. The car is pretty rough, but Let me know if you are interested in any of the easier to lift/grab parts and i can tell you if they are worth grabbing next time i see it.

I have swivel seats in both my 60 Chrysler and 60 Imperial, but both are two doors. When they changed from separate frames to unibody from 1959 to 1960 models, I am told that the seat frames differed as well, but I do not know the details, unfortunately. I would think the basic swivel seat frames would be the same whether 2 door or 4 door though, with only the seat back itself folding forward on 2 door models. As fewer people care about the older cars and fewer restorations are taking place, with buyers focusing only on done cars these days due to restoration costs, I am thinking the market for the swivel seat you found might be limited, and then to 1959 models only - which are not as desirable since those no longer had the Hemi engines as did the previous Chryslers and Imperials. Your best bet might be to post an ad on the Imperial club website and see if there are any takers. Good luck.

Swivel seats should bring 1K without too much effort. If it's power seat then it's even more valuable. You can modify a sedan seat into a 2dr seat. Swivel seats from an Imperial should fit in other Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge cars, there's a couple members on the Forwardlook site that have done the swap. The only other concern is if the recipient car originally had power seats or not.

Right on, thanks for the info. I'll probabaly grab it, just to save it from the crusher if I can buy it cheap enough, along with the dash as some other odds and ends.

Here are some pics. (it's rougher than it looks. 95% of the chrome is either bent, broken, or pitted pretty bad) Though i still intend to take a morning and snag everything that is salvageable. :)

14350242104_382db777e8_c.jpg

14327964786_c96501df1a_c.jpg

14164607567_542032fa06_c.jpg

14327963726_ea708d6560_c.jpg

14349515492_d1188bb664_c.jpg

14164497580_49dd462ffe_c.jpg

Grab what you can, dart125, someone might have a need for those parts.

Swivel seats are the same for 2 and 4 door cars, the 4 doors just have a stop in the back to prevent it from sliding forward.

You should get a couple hundred dollars for them if you find the right person, try the forwardlook website; www.forwardlook.net

Marty

That rear view mirror is worth some cash. If you don't get the whole car, at least grab the following: steering wheel, gold crowns on the front fenders, hood ornament, black and gold birds at corners of the dash, inner trim ring on the trunk lid, driver door handle, and any pwr window switches. Check if any Auto-Pilot parts are under the hood.

I'd make table center pieces out of those fins and tail lights. Beautiful.
You could sell them for 500 bucks each.

Right on, thanks for the info. I'll probabaly grab it, just to save it from the crusher if I can buy it cheap enough, along with the dash as some other odds and ends.

Here are some pics. (it's rougher than it looks. 95% of the chrome is either bent, broken, or pitted pretty bad) Though i still intend to take a morning and snag everything that is salvageable. :)

14350242104_382db777e8_c.jpg

14327964786_c96501df1a_c.jpg

14164607567_542032fa06_c.jpg

14327963726_ea708d6560_c.jpg

14349515492_d1188bb664_c.jpg

14164497580_49dd462ffe_c.jpg

Take everything but the body shell. The toilet seat decklid for sure as well as the swivel seats, Mirror-matic mirror, the whole dash and a/c parts, the windshield & back window. If you put in a full day taking parts off that car you'll be doing well to get all of that stuff done.

If you pull the windshield, save that gasket. It's just as desirable as the glass itself.
There's probably not much demand for the back glass.

Right on, thanks for the Info guys. I will strip as much as I can save from the car next time i hit that yard, and put up a post with all of it for whoever's interested. :)

Don't know where you're at, but we need a driver's door; at least the driver's door handle.

Back