64 Dodge Custom horn problem.

Paul Sprosen

Reaction score
I have just finished replacing all the steering wheel \ horn items which were all broken. the horn works fine unless the steering wheel is in the (straight ahead ) position. It fails to earth, if I turn it to any other part of the body it functions fine. How or were doses it earth through the column . Cheers Paul.

There is a spring between the lower and upper column at the rag joint. Take it apart and clean it real good, you may need to replace the spring. This problem drove me nuts on my 300 until I found it.

These have no rag joint , they have a fork and blade arraignment. The steering box protrudes into the floor board. The column slides directly into the box and a cotter pin keeps them from separating. Where they slide together there is a insulator between the fork and blade. There is a copper ground strap thru the center and then grounds on the steering box. A few pics of the insulator and the ground strap. My guess is this might be the problem as some time the thin copper strip deteriorates.

20190107_210538.jpg
20190107_210548.jpg
20190107_210601.jpg

Hi Dan, I have removed the clamp ( 19-14-35 in diagram ) and it is not showing me much. Do I have to remove the steering wheel from the box to access the ground strap. If I can find a cotter pin and remove it, doses the shaft and insulator come away from the box. Cheers Paul.

The clamp just hold the column to the top of the box. You have to pull the boot up you than can see the pin that holds the steering shaft to the box. You than need to remove the whole column , just leave the steering wheel on it . You than can see the insulator it might stick to the steering box end or in the end of the column.

Hi, I have slid the clamp and boot up but it has not exposed any pin as the outer steering column slots hard onto the box. The only way I can see is to remove all the top end components. Wheel / horn / turn signal / wiring / then slide the column out so I can look for that pin. Cheers

Here is a pic in the parts manual. The pin locks the shaft to box. Hope that helps. Only ones I have pulled is a non tilt column. The pin was there .I,ll see what I can find in the shop manual on this.
20190109_135756.jpg

Last edited:
Back