65 Fury 318 Poly 4 bbl swap

You might want to re-read that. Here is a quote from it:

>>In 1958, the B engine arrived as a 350 cid and 361 cid. Other Dodges got the 325 cid A-engine from Mound Road.

[Bill Watson added: “While 1958 Dodge Coronet and Royal models used Dodge's 325 poly, the Custom Royal used the Ram-Fire 350-cid V8 (a B-engine) in the U.S. and the 354 poly in Canada. The 361 V8 B-engine was optional across the board in the U.S. The 350 B-engine was also used in the 1958 DeSoto Firesweep while other models used the 371 and the Canadian-build Firedome used Chrysler’s 354 Poly.”]<<

That article also lists the 354 as being made in 1968. That's simply wrong.

Oh baby! Oh baby! Didja see this one, Wil (@bluefury361) ?!?
It was in a '65 Plymouth at a Mopar Show in Madera, 2009. I liked it and took two pics of the engine. Ha!
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG

You might want to re-read that. Here is a quote from it:

>>In 1958, the B engine arrived as a 350 cid and 361 cid. Other Dodges got the 325 cid A-engine from Mound Road.

[Bill Watson added: “While 1958 Dodge Coronet and Royal models used Dodge's 325 poly, the Custom Royal used the Ram-Fire 350-cid V8 (a B-engine) in the U.S. and the 354 poly in Canada. The 361 V8 B-engine was optional across the board in the U.S. The 350 B-engine was also used in the 1958 DeSoto Firesweep while other models used the 371 and the Canadian-build Firedome used Chrysler’s 354 Poly.”]<<

That article also lists the 354 as being made in 1968. That's simply wrong.

I'll take your word for it on the 354. Guess I had the 354 Canadian confused with the 350 B. Too many years ago! Corrected post.

Dave

The 58 350 CID was the first big block. It was not a poly engine. It was called the "Golden Commando" in the Plymouth car line and came equipped with 2 4 bbls. as std. (Avalable in all 58 Plymouth models). The Dodge version used a single 4 bbl. In 59 it morfed to a 361 CID.

Another poly question...my factory stamped steel valve covers have two mounting bolts- one at each end. I have seen some valve covers with a third bolt in the center...was this a change over at some point? If I were to get a set of the Edelbrock aluminum covers with the three bolts, is there an unused bolt hole in that center position already drilled and tapped unused and under the factory steel 2 bolt covers?...

J. G.

Another poly question...my factory stamped steel valve covers have two mounting bolts- one at each end. I have seen some valve covers with a third bolt in the center...was this a change over at some point? If I were to get a set of the Edelbrock aluminum covers with the three bolts, is there an unused bolt hole in that center position already drilled and tapped unused and under the factory steel 2 bolt covers?...

J. G.

The 1957 Plymouth 277 CID poly used a three bolt valve cover, all of the rest of the poly engines were two bolt valve covers. So the answer to your question is, no there is no tapped unused hole under the two bolt valve cover to use for the 3 bolt cover. If you google "3 bolt valve covers for Mopar poly engines", an old Hot Rod magazine article on the poly engines will come up. It is no longer on the Hot Rod website.

Dave

Last edited:
Hmmm...I seem to have a problem...
I bought an Edelbrock 1406 carb and the mopar linkage adapter, however I see ALL four bores on top of the manifold are all 1 3/8" in diameter- whereas on the carb, the primary plates are 1 3/8" BUT the secondaries are 1 5/8"???...thus, the plates will not open with carb installed on manifold!...did I get the wrong carb or do I need a spacer to raise the carb to avoid interference with the smaller bores??? Help!!

J. G.

Hmmm...I seem to have a problem...
I bought an Edelbrock 1406 carb and the mopar linkage adapter, however I see ALL four bores on top of the manifold are all 1 3/8" in diameter- whereas on the carb, the primary plates are 1 3/8" BUT the secondaries are 1 5/8"???...thus, the plates will not open with carb installed on manifold!...did I get the wrong carb or do I need a spacer to raise the carb to avoid interference with the smaller bores??? Help!!

J. G.

Those engines usually ran pretty good with a 600CFM AFB carb which usually had the bores about the same size for both primary and secondary. I think you may have bought the 750CFM carb so the secondary bores are bigger. They did make an adapter for this situation, but you will have to do some research to find it. If you bought a new carb, you might be able to exchange it for the 600 CFM series.
You do not really need 750 or more CFM unless you have installed a big cam in this engine. Do not feel bad, everybody out here did the same thing some where along the line.

Dave

Those engines usually ran pretty good with a 600CFM AFB carb which usually had the bores about the same size for both primary and secondary. I think you may have bought the 750CFM carb so the secondary bores are bigger. They did make an adapter for this situation, but you will have to do some research to find it. If you bought a new carb, you might be able to exchange it for the 600 CFM series.
You do not really need 750 or more CFM unless you have installed a big cam in this engine.

Dave

Hmmm...the box says "1406 600 cfm square flange" Carb also has 1406 stamped into the base...just bought new from Jeg's...

You are going to have to use a adapter or modify the intake.
I believe they all use the same base plate on the Eddy's flow is adjusted by venturi size and booster.

Hmmm...the box says "1406 600 cfm square flange" Carb also has 1406 stamped into the base...just bought new from Jeg's...

The 1406 is indeed a square flange carb. It is in the AVS configuration which means the secondaries are larger. Pretty sure the AFB configured Re-pops are still 4 equal bores. I will do some more research and get back to you.

Dave

Second choice as big block has pointed out is to have the secondary ports in the manifold "Coned" at you local machine shop so that the butterfly has room to move.

Dave

The 1406 is indeed a square flange carb. It is in the AVS configuration which means the secondaries are larger. Pretty sure the AFB configured Re-pops are still 4 equal bores. I will do some more research and get back to you.

Dave

Thanks Dave...wish I could figure out the part # for you with the correct "pull from the top" throttle configuration...

Second choice as big block has pointed out is to have the secondary ports in the manifold "Coned" at you local machine shop so that the butterfly has room to move.

Dave
Figure I don't want to mess with the otherwise perfect condition manifold...if you have luck finding the correct AFB repop with four equal size plates, I might just return the Edelbrock to Jeg's...or try to find the right spacer to make it fit...

Back