65 SF Engine Turning/Jeweling

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Had all the trim on my 65 SF polished that I am restoring! When I had the trim polished, I lost the Engine Turning, looked high and low, found it in vinyl and ordered. I was real skeptical about how to install it and how it would look! Looks great and not that difficult to put on. Just hope it works over time but it supposedly is used for trucks and for marine usage so fingers crossed!

Engine Turning.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you buy the insert material?
Classic Industries advertises it for a 1963 Chevy Impala so I called them and asked them if they could make it for 1965 Plymouth Fury. They called their subcontractor who it turns out was REM Automotive Inc. I gave Classic the specifications I needed and REM sent me the ones for a 1963 Chevy (nothing is ever easy). Called Classic, they contacted the subcontractor but this time I requested three sizes x 2 which were 5/8" by 50, 60 and 90 inches which allowed for trim which they shipped. They were all easy to install, tedious but easy. The tough one was the back long one because it is tapered but by turning it upside down and using a pen to mark it against the molding and cutting with a scissor, it got the job done. It was somewhat expensive to purchase, $135, but that is the nature of restoration. If you try it, hold it to the molding, upside down, with backing still on of course, with painters tape both for marking and then also when applying, portions at a time, so it doesn't get away from you because you are then dealing with sticky tape. I have since purchased a role on e-bay, 12" by 10 feet for $25 so if and when I need it, I can cut my own. Like I said, it is vinyl and if it holds up, it looks great and works like a champ and easy to cut. Since it is advertised and used for the Chevy I am hopeful! If not, I have a roll that is 12" by 10 feet so I can make a bunch since I have another complete set of side moldings to use for a guide (buy them when you see them). Long story but there you are!

Last edited:
Classic Industries advertises it for a 1963 Chevy Impala so I called them and asked them if they could make it for 1965 Plymouth Fury. They called their subcontractor who it turns out was REM Automotive Inc. I gave Classic the specifications I needed and REM sent me the ones for a 1963 Chevy (nothing is ever easy). Called Classic, they contacted the subcontractor but this time I requested three sizes x 2 which were 5/8" by 50, 60 and 90 inches which allowed for trim which they shipped. They were all easy to install, tedious but easy. The tough one was the back long one because it is tapered but by turning it upside down and using a pen to mark it against the molding and cutting with a scissor, it got the job done. It was somewhat expensive to purchase, $135, but that is the nature of restoration. If you try it, hold it to the molding, upside down, with backing still on of course, with painters tape both for marking and then also when applying, portions at a time, so it doesn't get away from you because you are then dealing with sticky tape. I have since purchased a role on e-bay, 12" by 10 feet for $25 so if and when I need it, I can cut my own. Like I said, it is vinyl and if it holds up, it looks great and works like a champ and easy to cut. Since it is advertised and used for the Chevy I am hopeful! If not, I have a roll that is 12" by 10 feet so I can make a bunch since I have another complete set of side moldings to use for a guide (buy them when you see them). Long story but there you are!
Thanks, I will look into it, I do have one of the kits from Special T’s for engine turn too. I have a full set of NOS moldings with engine turn plus a full set of NOS fury III moldings I would like to add the engine turn to for a hardtop I am building. Luckily the survivor has a beautiful set of original SF moldings on it.

Back