66 383- won't start

Stevemockler

Reaction score
I have a 1966 plymouth sport fury. Has a 383 originally a 2bbl but switched over to a rebuilt 4131s carter afb. Also put on a new electronic distributer. Has new plugs, wires, coil. After putting it all back together... She won't start. I have checked and I have correct firing order, it is at tdc.
She turns over but will not fire. Any thoughts??? It's begun 10 months since I've driven her and I have summer fever bad!!! Help!!!!

Could be the fuel pump, or the coil...Check for fuel and fire first.

Once the left side clip on my ballast resistor popped off. I turn the key and the motor would spin and spin and spin but never catch and you know that will kill the battery fast. I couldn't figure out until I just happened to glance at the BR on the fire wall. Plugged it back in and off I went. Sometimes its the little things.....take a look there, rule it out.

Some electronic boxes have to be grounded to the body. Since you switched to electronic , maybe the air gap isn't set right in the distributer, .008 with a brass feeler gauge.crank with a wire pulled, and see if the spark pops. Good luck!

Troubleshooting 101 - First day of class.

Before: Car runs.
Then......
put on a new electronic distributer. Has new plugs, wires, coil.
After: Car no runs.
Step one: go through JUST the items changed and effected by change.
Step two. go to first item effed with. The distributer.
Step three. Pull distributer and start over and reinstall distributer by the manual.

I'll wait.
In the meantime,
welcome7smiley.gif

You could have the distributor 180 degrees out if not firing at all (if you have gas). Pull it out and spin 180 put it back in. You can check with timing light too if you can't see the timing mark at all, chances are you are 180 out.

Just checking,..is the ballast resistor hooked up or wires are off it or was it bypassed? It should have been bypassed with the new electronic ignition install.

You could have the distributor 180 degrees out if not firing at all (if you have gas). Pull it out and spin 180 put it back in. You can check with timing light too if you can't see the timing mark at all, chances are you are 180 out.

I was thinking the same thing. Pull #1 plug and bring the cylinder to the top on the compression stroke. Check your timing mark and your rotor are on mark(rotor slightly before No.1 plug wire). Check for spark at the plug while your at it. If all that checks, re-install the plug,squirt some fuel in the carb and fire it up.

Speaking from experience; if the dist is out 180, you'll know it...and so will your neighbours for miles around.

Welcome ........nice car.

Try giving a squirt of ether or starting fluid while cranking. If it fires....it's fuel problem. Be careful, it doesn't take much ether.

Air, fuel, spark gotta have all three and in correct order. Air is probably okay since did not go boom before you changed things. Fuel is easy to check move throttle while looking in front 2 bbls of carb gasoline squirting check, no add gasoline to top of carb and using a small funnel pour some about a cup into vent tube, 1/4" tube sticking up between front 2 bbls recheck throttle for squirting accelerator pump, if all good, spark is your culprit, my guess since that is what you messed with, stick old plug of screwdriver in a wire crank over watching gap, if all good your 180 degrees out and then some.

Just checking,..is the ballast resistor hooked up or wires are off it or was it bypassed? It should have been bypassed with the new electronic ignition install.

Keep in mind that when you are starting the car you are bypassing the ballast resistor with full voltage, the ballast is only used in the run position of the key.

If you are still using a stock coil you still need the ballast.

Alan

Welcome ........nice car.

Try giving a squirt of ether or starting fluid while cranking. If it fires....it's fuel problem. Be careful, it doesn't take much ether.

I'm assuming the distributor is in correctly and timing is fairly close.

I'm going to say he had dist 180 out got it running and has been enjoying it so much forgot to post results/ conclusion, rude but understandable, I'm trying to take a more positive look at things since I had a good weekend at Carlisle and met some members. How long this will last I don't know

Thanks everybody- it's not out 180- I have checked- and rechecked.... Going to try the fuel in the vent tube.... If that doesn't do it... Back to the drawing board.

Sorry for the delay guys- it's been a busy weekend- going to work on it some more- thanks for all the input! I'll try and get a picture up as well!

Back