66 fury III 2 door hardtop needs a front end

jtalberts

Reaction score
Here is a quick intro. I am a total newb to car restoring. I have always wanted a classic car and finally found too good a deal to pass up. A guy selling his 66 Fury III just happened to rear end a truck in my neighborhood. It smashed in everything above the front bumper. It has a brand new 383 with a 30 overbore and a 391 in it.

I need a new front clip for it.

1. 65 and 66 fury III's sheet metal is interchangeable?
2. I have a lead on a 4 door Fury to use for parts. Will the front end of the 4 door fit on the 2 door?
3. Currently it has drum breaks and I would like to move to disc brakes. Has anyone ever done this and what kind of pain is it?
4. The guy that restored the car left the windshield washers unfinished. I want to get those working again.
5. The front hood smashed the windshield. Is glass easy to come by?

Here are the parts I need:
1. Hood
2. Front fenders
3. Grille and headlight bezels
4. Vent cowl
5. 2 headlights
6. Radiator
7. Radiator support

Any gotchas in there that might be a pain to find?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Here is a quick intro. I am a total newb to car restoring. I have always wanted a classic car and finally found too good a deal to pass up. A guy selling his 66 Fury III just happened to rear end a truck in my neighborhood. It smashed in everything above the front bumper. It has a brand new 383 with a 30 overbore and a 391 in it.

I need a new front clip for it.

1. 65 and 66 fury III's sheet metal is interchangeable?
Yes, if you want to change everything and make your car two years in one.

2. I have a lead on a 4 door Fury to use for parts. Will the front end of the 4 door fit on the 2 door?
Yes. Everything will fit just fine.

3. Currently it has drum breaks and I would like to move to disc brakes. Has anyone ever done this and what kind of pain is it?
Very minimal pain. Most likely need to change spindles. Ball joints are likely the same.

4. The guy that restored the car left the windshield washers unfinished. I want to get those working again.
www.clipsandfasteners.com will have the little plastic bits you need. Washer hose is available just about everywhere.

5. The front hood smashed the windshield. Is glass easy to come by?
Might be able to use the one from your parts car. I ordered an Interchange Manual but haven't been to pick it up yet.

Here are the parts I need:
1. Hood
2. Front fenders
3. Grille and headlight bezels
4. Vent cowl
5. 2 headlights
6. Radiator
7. Radiator support

Any gotchas in there that might be a pain to find?

Thanks for the help in advance.

See above.

Thanks for all the quick help guys. I will get some pictures of the car up soon. The parts car is a 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP 4 door. Current owner isn't sure what engine is in it but says it runs and drives. He is asking $2000 for it. I will see how low I can get it and then part out the rest of it. The VIP is a complete car with all the trim.

Thanks for all the quick help guys. I will get some pictures of the car up soon. The parts car is a 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP 4 door. Current owner isn't sure what engine is in it but says it runs and drives. He is asking $2000 for it. I will see how low I can get it and then part out the rest of it. The VIP is a complete car with all the trim.

Assuming the VIP is beyond restoring, I would recommend saving everything VIP related from the car. There are guys out there who will need/want some/all of the VIP bits from this car, i.e. all side mouldings/nameplates, seats, door panels, headliner, instrument panel(at least the VIP nameplate) and the tail lights may be VIP only too.

The car looks all orginal and in decent shape. It has all the side moldings and trim that came with it. The rear tail lights are spider cracked everywhere. This car restore has escalated quickly. I purchased the parts care an hour ago. The that owned the car also owns a towing company and delivered it to my house. In two days I have purchased two 1966 Plymouth Fury's. If all goes well, I should have it ready for paint by Sunday night.

Getting close to prepping my replacement parts. Another couple hours and I will have the parts car front end torn down and ready to be sanded.

The hard part of taking the front end is done. After dinner I will have the rest of it removed tonight. I have a full weekend of sanding ahead of me. Any tips?

Have it media blasted! LOL. will save you a bunch of elbow grease! That or go get you some air craft paint remover and a paint brush to strip it. Works great.

Back