'66 Fury III Convertible, Best Gas Tank Solution?

Mealness

Reaction score
Hi all - newbie here. Car has been sitting for 20 years, need to either boil out and coat the existing gas tank, or find replacement. I'm in Sacramento, N.Cal. Thanks,

Mealness

Depends on the confition both before and after boiling and costing. Fought the same problem on my 75 before they started making replacements. When the started, immediately purchased along with new straps. Given the cost of the replacement, convenience and no future worries,no brainer. IMHO!

Depends on the confition both before and after boiling and costing. Fought the same problem on my 75 before they started making replacements. When the started, immediately purchased along with new straps. Given the cost of the replacement, convenience and no future worries,no brainer. IMHO!
Thanks, Mudeblue. I only see gastanks.com. Do you know any other sources?

Meal

Thanks, Mudeblue. I only see gastanks.com. Do you know any other sources?

Meal
I have every little receipt going back to 1989 but not that one. Suggest you Google it because there are a number of sources out there. HOWEVER, be cautious and make sure you check by calling to make sure it will fit if necessary. The C-Body was new to the 65 Fury, and 66, and many vendors claim their parts will fit only to find out they assumed that it a B-Body as it was in 1964 and they are not! Caution!

Vans seems to have one CR1002A...300 bucks....they seem to be specific as they list 65 by itself, then this one, then 67 by itself with one vent and 68-70 with 2 vents...

Last edited:
Vans seems to have one CR1002A...300 bucks....they seem to be specific as they list 65 by itself, then this one, then 67 by itself with one vent and 68-70 with 2 vents...
Given it is Vans, I would have confidence but still suggest a call. I have problems with the likes of places such as JEGs, Summit and Classics. Price not outrageous.

The challenge with the Fury tank is that the Fury used a side gas filler tube, as opposed to the rest of the entire C body line which used a rear filler tube under the license plate. The Van's one (CR1002A) says specifically that it DOES NOT fit a 65 Fury, for the very reason I state. However, I just checked, and they DO offer one specific for 65 Fury, which is the CR1002B.

Gas Tank -1965 Fury

The alternative is to have yours repaired as you noted above. Before reproductions made tank availability a challenge, I have had multiple tanks boiled out, repaired and coated using this company: Gas Tank Renu. Gastankrenu.com Their service has NEVER let me down. They offer a limited Nationwide warranty.

There are two locations in California - worthwhile checking them out. The Stockton location is only 45 minutes from you.

Gas Tank Renu California - Gas Tank Renu

Thank you all for the great info. Before making a call on this I'll definitely call the Stockton gastankrenu. Great to have some options now,

Meal

A 65 Fury fills from the side. A 66 Fury fills from the rear. Be careful when removing the tank if working on the ground and try to get the tank as empty as possible before starting your project. Even a couple gallons of old gas weighs more than you would think. Ask me how I know! Good luck with your project.

A 65 Fury fills from the side. A 66 Fury fills from the rear. Be careful when removing the tank if working on the ground and try to get the tank as empty as possible before starting your project. Even a couple gallons of old gas weighs more than you would think. Ask me how I know! Good luck with your project.
Thanks for jogging my memory - for some reason I had it in my mind that 66 Fury tanks were side fill too.

So - @Mealness - your 66 Fury tank can be ordered new from Van's as item number CR1002A if the option for restoring your original with Gas Tank Renu doesn't work out.

Thanks, 66/72 Rab. Yeah, pretty sure it's in back. I have wrestled a few tanks in my time...

M.

Thanks for jogging my memory - for some reason I had it in my mind that 66 Fury tanks were side fill too.

So - @Mealness - your 66 Fury tank can be ordered new from Van's as item number CR1002A if the option for restoring your original with Gas Tank Renu doesn't work out.
Thanks, Ross. LOL...my first car was a '66 4-door with the same poly engine. Deja vu all over again...

M.

Hi all - newbie here. Car has been sitting for 20 years, need to either boil out and coat the existing gas tank, or find replacement. I'm in Sacramento, N.Cal. Thanks,

Mealness
My 65 Polara convertible has a rear tag fuel fill tube. It needs a tank also. May find a new one as this one has been damaged before. I could not find a new tank on another project of mine (rare low build AMC Convertible) so I had a radiator shop near Austin, TX clean it out and braze fill-in the few pinhole leaks they found in one corner. They clean any rad, fuel tank, etc for any engine up to big farm and heavy equipment for a reasonable price.

Warning once cleaned out it flash rusts quick, but I used the POR tank sealer kit to clean again, metal prep for flash rust the entire inside and then seal with the POR fuel tank sealer (metallic silver color). Lots of sloshing and tipping, and letting it stand on all sides to ensure coverage. Have to seal up the filler neck and pickup unit holes. Key is for the bare metal to be clean and free of rust before sealing. It did a good job, so good I bought a larger gallon quanty to renew and reseal a 80 gallon RV fuel tank off my Winnie. That was a project as no tipping and moving around...

Back