'66 Fury neutral safety switch

roelb

Reaction score
Guys , another stupid question, but please help. My '66 wagon with the 390 stroker was 3 on the tree. I have now changed to a 727 auto. The transmission has single thread point for the neutral safety switch in stead of the more common? multi prong.
Can anyone advise me how to do the wiring from the switch to the engine? I have a shop manual, but I do feel a bit lost. Not sure how to connect the single thread and to what exactly in order to get the car to start ...
Thanks

20210427_165538.jpg

20210427_181315.jpg

I believe you just run a wire from the NSS to the Starter Relay as shown in your photo. You have to be sure you have the 4 terminal starter relay and PLEASE don't confuse starter relay with starter solenoid. Two very different parts.

Thanks Mikedrini. The diagram show just a single wire with a fuse? in.
Yes, I shall make sure it is the starter relay, thanks

You need an automatic trans starter relay. The terminal for that wIre is not on a manual trans relay.

Thanks 413, you are correct, I did not knew about the difference. Luckily a local supplier have one in stock .
Thanks again:)

That’s not a fuse in the wire diagram. It is a simple connector. The wire purpose is to complete the ground so your starter relay will function. No need for a fuse as no current is flowing through.

There is current flowing through the wire (to ground ultimately at the negative post of the battery), but no fuse is required and should not be installed there.

There is current flowing through the wire (to ground ultimately at the negative post of the battery), but no fuse is required and should not be installed there.
. You are correct. I was thinking of that technicality. What I probably should have said is it doesn’t see electrical load, but completes the circuit so there will be current flowing through.

Thats not a fuse it is the symbol for a connector.

If you want your reverse lights to work. The harness is off of the windshield wiper section of bulkhead and factory switch is on 68 down style column.

Thanks guys,I really appreciate the info.
Was also thinking of the backup light. I still have the wiring for that from when it was a 3 speed, a plug with two purple wires that is the backup lamp. Now the auto tranny do not have a place for such a switch...

20210502_104907.jpg

Thanks for clearing up the 'fuse'. I did wonder why a fuse there. So, just a connector then

1966-1968 AT backup lamp switch is on the console shifter or the steering column.

That wiring you have is for manual only.

Back