'66 Imperial Convertible Rebuild: A Fresh Start

Member's Projects & Restorations

1. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

Which one you looking at Bob? If it's the digital volt meter, it's a Fluke 8060A. Older meter but works well and easy to read.

Gary: I call those emblems chickens because they look similar to the eagle on the hood of the old Trans Ams which are 'affectionately' referred to as the screaming chicken. I suspect the correct name for them is probably the Imperial eagle. Seems like a lot or European countries used it on flags and whatever else decades ago.

Matt: - thanks for looking. Two of the ones I have are okay - one is good, the other needs minor touch up. The other two are pretty rough. Worst case I'll just clean these off with a small brush, repaint the birds with some of that genuine-imitation gold spray paint then overspray the entire back with flat black. It'll never be a Pebble Beach contender, just don't want it looking like a welfare wagon.

Getting some stuff done around the house & yard while I wait for a call from the shop. Hoping they get it on the road today.

2. C Body Bob

C Body Bob Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Yep the digital one. How much are those.

3. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

It's an older meter, they can be found on ebay and at shows for $50-$60 or so all the way up to $200-$300 with case, accessories, etc. The displays have a tendency to get weak, fixed by re-seating the connections on the module. Easy to use and read from a distance.

4. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

Back for another quick update. Things have been busy here with the next house move imminent. This place went on the market yesterday and we've already had 5 showings. Still have a LOT of packing up to do. At least the repairs and cleanup work around here are mostly done so *maybe* I can eek out a few minutes to finish up the hub cap repaint.

Since we had to be out of the house this morning for 2 more showings I decided to drop by the shop to check on the Imp's progress. They had the driveshaft bearing on order but apparently it comes in several pieces so they're waiting on the last part to arrive. Then the bearing will get changed, quickie exhaust will be installed, and she's ready for the road. Rob got the new hoses installed on the convertible top pump, purged the brake fluid someone had added, and installed new ATF. It's working properly again, no leaks or nasty crap.

Took a couple quick shots including one with my now-6 year old daughter posing by the door. She is quite excited to go for a ride with the top down.

And no, the ATF on the floor is not from my car.

Might be a few more days or weeks before another update. Next big adventure? Find the paperwork so I can get it registered!

AlmostDone_01.JPG AlmostDone2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Mr C

Mr C Senior Member

I love the tires on it. Perfect white wall width for it. Love it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Btw I’ve accumulated even more of these recently so I’ll get them all together for pics soon.:thumbsup:

7. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

Thanks Matt, no rush as I'm up to my ass in alligators with all the house/packing/moving stuff. I saw the ones you snagged on here recently, they looked better than the set I'm repainting.

The plan is to use this set as practice covers and put together a dent-free set later. I'll get some practice with masking and painting them, see what works and what doesn't. The Imperial trim rings are all nice & clean and most of the turbine inserts are decent as well, one has a few warts.

I definitely need at least two chickens (or eagles). I could repaint these but they wouldn't look right. Guessing the originals were gold leaf.

It should be outta the shop this week. Yeah Mr C, I looked around to get wider whitewalls. The skinny ones just don't look right on this cruiser. 235s are a hair smaller than the originals, so the wide stripes help beef them up.

Can't wait to show my daughter how the top goes up and down. Still recall the feeling of magic and awe seeing my dad drop the top on our '64 Galaxie the first time. I was in 3rd grade then. And driving down the road with the sky and clouds overhead, wind blowing.....heady stuff for a young kid from the rough side of town. :D

• Like Like x 3