66 Polara Bolts and Fasteners Resto

66PolaraGrzzy

Reaction score
Hi guys, when a restoration is taking place, what is the best way to deal with the existing bolts, clean and refinish or try and get new?

You can go either way.
To keep costs down, bag and tag all hardware and clean them up on a wire brush on a bench grinder.
If you want new you can go through Auveeco catalogue.
Very handy resource especially for the speed clips that do break and you will break off bolts too!
Homepage

You can go either way.
To keep costs down, bag and tag all hardware and clean them up on a wire brush on a bench grinder.
If you want new you can go through Auveeco catalogue.
Very handy resource especially for the speed clips that do break and you will break off bolts too!
Homepage
I am in the process of putting my 65 SP back together and referred to Auveeco catalog and they have a ton of stuff but frankly not much help. First, you have to know exactly what you want, need to know your part numbers and then convert to theirs and I found it confusing at best. Mouldings are difficult to find but the universals can be found locally or the internet. As suggested, I cleaned as much as possible with grinder for use and take along on the hunt. Automotive paint stores are a big help. Good luck.

Last edited:
So if a guy does decide to clean and refinish what is the best method? I have a blast cabinet which is what I was thinking.

I like the wire brush approach, as it doesn't leave the "sand blasted" finish one sees on exposed parts if they're not to be painted. Either way is fine, both are time consuming.

Some people like the tumbled clean approach - put them in a vibrator with the appropriate media and 24 hours later they come out looking new.

Another approach is use Ultra One rust remover.
I bought an el cheapo parts washer and kept the pump runnibg ovdrnight with the Ultra One.
Not abrasive like sandblasting or grinding and look like new in the morning.
Also during ant junkyard crawls I grab any specific nuts/bolts from a parts car.
You can never have enough spares and when you have any left over you know yoiu did a good job! LOL!

Back