67 fury III convertible

craigl

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok, this car is close to complete. my grandfather bought it in 67. it was my first car (I hated it, by the way). does anyone know if replacement door panels exist for a 67 fury 3? mine are being cleaned up but at some point I would like to up my game a little - if possible?

also, the steering wheel... I am repairing the existing but does a replacement exist? I cannot find anything. you can see the big cracks in the picture.

last, but not least... this darn back speaker grill has a big dent in it (see pic). i have no idea how it happened but I do not believe i will ever find a replacement. dare I ask what options are out there?

DSCN9988 (2).JPG

DSCN9990 (1).JPG

Those speaker grilles often got dented first time three kids ride in back.
Don’t ask me how I know. Ouch!
There have been a couple of thread here of members making their own grill from common perforated metal with excellent results. Just do a search in the interior or restoration sections.

NICE Fury! :thumbsup: we got the big brother so to speak version, the Sport Fury with blue on blue that is currently being restored. If you would like check out my photo garage as there are plenty of 67 Furys in there, and also my thread on our convertible called "1967 Sport Fury convertible Factory " H" code 383 4bbl restoration".....
20200920_150048.jpg
20200517_185256.jpg
20210328_180432.jpg

Last, but not least... this darn back speaker grill has a big dent in it (see pic). i have no idea how it happened but I do not believe i will ever find a replacement. dare I ask what options are out there?

I got one if you are interested, it is a bit rust pitted but the chrome shines up good and it is not dented......
20200505_105701.jpg

NICE Fury! :thumbsup: we got the big brother so to speak version, the Sport Fury with blue on blue that is currently being restored. If you would like check out my photo garage as there are plenty of 67 Furys in there, and also my thread on our convertible called "1967 Sport Fury convertible Factory " H" code 383 4bbl restoration".....
View attachment 476573View attachment 476574View attachment 476575

wow, that is beautiful. apparently my grandfather (a Dr.) was not into fast cars at all. he got the smallest engine available (318). I have though about maybe changing the engine one day but I'm not sure if that is a good decision from a value perspective. The only thing i have changed to date is adding another tail pipe :) the car will be done early next week (assuming this new steering box does the trick tomorrow) so I'm not going to get ahead of myself. eventually though i would like to maybe beef up the engine a little - maybe a larger carb. we shall see.

thanks to all for the information!

The 318 was the most popular engine as it was standard on the Fury. From a value stand point, keep the car as original as possible. This car would do well at auction just the way it is.

Changing the engine to a 383 or 440 if a major undertaking, it will require a different radiator, different transmission, different drive line and possibly a different rear axle as well. Most 318 cars also had lighter duty brakes than what would be found on a big block equipped car.

If the car has enough miles on it to have worn out the steering gear, usually 100k+, then the rubber bushings in the strut rods, upper control arms and lower control arms are likely shot as well. They should probably be replaced even if the mileage is low because the rubber has hardened and is subject to cracking from the 55 years of aging and they will fail pretty quickly with regular use.

Dave

The "dingy" part of the door panel color might well be the pearl coating Chrysler used on their trim codes back then. Once it ages, it can become dingy/dirty looking that will not come off with cleaners and such. Just one of the little things Chrysler did back then to make the new cars look better than other brands of cars. Something you don't really notice until you see the two side by side. Pre-1974 cars had the pearl look, but I'm not sure when it started (prior to 1965).

The 318 was the standard V-8 back then. What you might do is focus on the chassis and add a front anti-sway bar from a 383 car, if there is not one already there. That can make cornering work better, along with some good HD shocks.

It's a nice car, for sure. Enjoy the cruising when it's all done!

CBODY67

If you just want that 318 to sound nice, a glass pack muffler would do the trick. My first car had a 318 that I put a Cherry Bomb glass pack on. Nice burble just cruising but no drone at highway speeds.

If you just want that 318 to sound nice, a glass pack muffler would do the trick. My first car had a 318 that I put a Cherry Bomb glass pack on. Nice burble just cruising but no drone at highway speeds.

I respectfully disagree, I suggest MagnaFlow. Cherry bombs are too noisy on the highway and you can't talk, backroads are ok though

anyone ever try to touch up the black paint used on the dash, trim and perimeter you see above? i think i am going to try and touch it up myself with a good paint/epoxy.

anyone ever try to touch up the black paint used on the dash, trim and perimeter you see above? i think i am going to try and touch it up myself with a good paint/epoxy.
I have used a black Sharpie in a pinch but, paint sticks found at hobby stores and Hobby Lobby work real well. They come in different size points also.
78DF8984-6271-45C1-9501-EFEB0511D14F.jpeg

Back