1967 Plymouth III tire pressure ??

John Reddie

Reaction score
I had my '67 Fury III convertible front end alignment done and the car tracks better which is nice. The shop rotated the tires for me and inflated the tires to 43 pounds of air and now the car seems to ride harder than before. I am using Hankook 75R 14" whitewalls and am wondering if I could let out 5 lbs on each tire to see if the ride is a little less hard or if that is not a good idea. The car of course was equipped with bias-ply tires when new so the tire pressure for them was most likely different. Any thoughts are appreciated.
John R

Read the side of the tire itself (very small) and it will list a maximum recommended pressure, and then go a few psi lower. HOWEVER - my guess (14" tires) is that you have "old school style" tires that take a maximum pressure of about 35 psi (similar to factory original tires) & I would suggest you run about 32 psi. "Modern style tires" often run higher pressures, and my "guess" is the tire shop didn't read the side of your tire.

Shorter answer - Yes, drop it down to 32 psi and it will ride MUCH softer

The factory recommendations were 24psi f/r for city driving. For over 75mph, add 4psi not to exceed 32psi. Max load was like 30 frt/32 rr on non-station wagons.

P-Metric radials went to 35psi max for fuel economy reasons. Modern radials usually will go to about 45-50psi cold, but that does not mean you have to run that much.

Back in the late 1960s, on our '66 Newport 4dr Town Sedan, I figured the weight distribution f/r and then found a chart in an old CAR LIFE magazine that had tire capacities at various tire pressures. I used that to craft my own tire pressures for normal driving, with the inflation pressures reflecting the "axle load" of the car. Using 28psi as the base rear psi, I added 2psi to that for the front (front end is heavier). This resulted in completely EVEN tire wear f/r. Plus with more air in the front, better steering response (which was already better than many cars anyway). If the car was going to haul people, then I went up to 32 frt/30 rr and still had plenty of load capacity in the tires vs how much the car weighed. With those results, that has been my pressure orientation every since then. Not what the factory recommended, but what I found to work best.

Who knows why the tire shop put that much air pressure in the tires, past getting the beads to seal initially. I'd try 35psi frt/33psi rr and see how that goes. I'm suspecting you have 14x5.5" wheels?

In many cases, the Hankooks might be classified as "modern rubber" rather than the dreaded "old school" rubber.

Just my thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67

Run them at 32 psi.
Tire industry rule of thumb says when running radials on car that was originally on bias ply, add 6 psi.
Factory setting 26 psi, add 6 equals 32.
Your shop should have known that unless the tech's father was not born after your car was built! Lol!

As for alignments in today's world for our C's I always set my own ride height ( 27 inches from floorcto wheel lip) and tire pressures at 32 psi and I tell the shop thats where I want them.

boab october 2017 011.JPG

Thanks to all for the informative posts here. Although I don't take my Fury on very many long trips anymore, I like to drive it at least twice a week, especially with top down days getting a little closer:thumbsup:.
John R

If you go to the manufacturers website you should be able to find an inflation chart for your exact tires. With that info and a scale weight for your car (truck stop or similar), you can dial in your air pressure.
Travis..

If you go to the manufacturers website you should be able to find an inflation chart for your exact tires. With that info and a scale weight for your car (truck stop or similar), you can dial in your air pressure.
Travis..
Good suggestion. I will do that. I bought these tires because they offered whitewalls. I think these older vintage cars from the past look sharp with the whitewalls but on my Fury, I like the small whitewall instead of the large ones that look better on the '30's through '50's gems.

67 nice fury.JPG

I run a lot of Hankook and Nexen 14- and 15-inch 75 series tires on 3,200-to-4,800-pound vehicles. 30 to 32 pounds unloaded has been the best pressure for me.
Several hundred thousands of miles over many years.

Back