67 Newport 8.75 Axle Housing Problems

jneil92

Reaction score
Hi, I have been working on my 67 Newport for a year now. I had a blown bearing on my drivers side axle and pulled them both to get the bearings pulled and new ones put on. Well 2 sets of bearings later I find out my axle shafts are too worn down for the bearings to seat. So I'm ready to order some new axle shafts but I personally can't tell if the housing is too gouged on the drivers side. I took some pictures that I'm attaching (hopefully this works lol) and would really appreciate some of your guys' educated opinions. I can't afford to buy new axles if I'm gonna just have to get an entire new housing but I'm praying that's not the case. Any insight is appreciated, and I can take more pictures if needed.

Thanks, Alex
bearing0.jpgbearing1.jpgbearing2.jpgbearing3.jpg

bearing0.jpg

bearing1.jpg

bearing2.jpg

bearing3.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the nicks but I'd try and get a hone in there to smooth out the bumps that might distort the bearing when pressing it in. I'd go with it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the nicks but I'd try and get a hone in there to smooth out the bumps that might distort the bearing when pressing it in. I'd go with it.
Are you sure the area hasn't thinned down too much? And how would you recommend going about honing it? Like with a dremel? I'm not trying to second guess you or anything I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible. I've already wasted too much money trying to fix things that couldn't be repaired haha.

I'm not sure. The advice was free from somebody who never worked as a mechanic. No guarantees

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I'm gonna need some schooling on these Speedi-Sleeves, Dave.
If he's using new axles, how does this remedy the damaged seats in the axle shaft?
If you press in the sleeves, won't he have to find bearings with a smaller diameter?
Or, if the sleeves are sized to the stock bearing diameter, won't the seats have to be machined oversized?

And it's been a million years since I pulled one of those axles, but isn't the bearing tapered?

Sign me,
Confused in Sebring.

The sleeves are to save the original axles. If he is buying new ones, just take of the high metal off of the bearing seat and install new bearings and seals. He may want to add a drop of removable lok-tite on the bearing seat.

Not sure what the issue is. The bearing presses on the axle, then the outer race sits in that cavity. That cavity should be full of bearing grease when the bearing is in it. The seal is pressed into the housing into that smaller bore, and seals the axle lube from the wheel bearing. So the housing itself doesn't get damaged normally unless someone beat the hell out of it for some reason (getting the seal out).
Scrape that black crap out of it, make sure the high spots are ssanded down with emery cloth, and put new seals in it and it should be fine assuming the surface on the axle shaft where the bearing presses onto and the seal rides is intact. If those are screwed up most times they can be polished and work fine.
The housing itself looks fine.

Back