68 Polara Seat comfort Problems

GMPolara

Reaction score
I'll be pulling out my very standard no frills bench seat soon. I've got new carpet to place. The seats only control is back and forth. My problems are this. It's very tight for me even w the seat back all the way. Once I get the the seat out. I plan on pulling out anything that could make the seat lower. If there is anything. I'm curious if there's anything else I could do, less get a power seat, to make it more comfortable. The seat has no reclining either.

One reason that power seats were not available on the Cordoba 300s was due to the lh cat converter and related hump in the floorpan. The manual seat tracks were about 4" apart, so they used 1/4"-3/8" aluminum plate adapters between the seat tracks and the seat cushion mounts. So the existing seat cushion for single exhaust cars could be used. Perhaps you might do similar, but between the floorpan and the seat track bottoms, to shift the seat rearward an inch of so? Or use some of the same material to put under the front mounts, with longer bolts, to tilt the seat rearward, possibly?

In 1966, they had manual seat tracks which had adjustability in them. The individual seat tracks were two-piece items, with bolts holding things together, with adjustment slots in them for customization of the seating position for the driver. A forward or rearward tilt, plus possibly a bit of extra movement rearward, too? Might be a salvage yard part? Page 23-61 in the 1966 Chrysler Service Manual. Adjustment ranges and illustrations. That was the last model year those tracks were used, fwiw.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
I'm looking right now at the driver's side seat track/slider from my '67 Monaco with bench seat. There is no way to adjust seat height. It's a wedge shape. When you slide the seat back, it will go down. 6 inches of backwards motion might get you 1 inch lower seat position.

I replaced my sliders with a power unit I found in a junkyard car in probably 1986. I don't yet have a seat switch solution, I've just touched the wires together under the seat to adjust the seat position. Offhand I can't recall how much vertical motion I get, but it is respectable.

You'll have to just remove the slider and mount the seat directly to the floor to get the lowest possible seat position.

I'll be pulling out my very standard no frills bench seat soon. I've got new carpet to place. The seats only control is back and forth. My problems are this. It's very tight for me even w the seat back all the way. Once I get the the seat out. I plan on pulling out anything that could make the seat lower. If there is anything. I'm curious if there's anything else I could do, less get a power seat, to make it more comfortable. The seat has no reclining either.
When you pull the seat out, look at the bottom of the tracks. There should be another set of holes that you can move the bolts too.

This picture is actually a B-body seat track, but the C-body has the same extra bolt holes. One set moves the seat up and one set moves it back. The bolts are peened over, so if you break one, just use a carriage bolt from Lowes Depot.

I've done this on a '68 Chrysler and that inch that you move it will do a lot more than you think it might.

Another option that will give even more room are these: https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/sb246 I may do something like this for my '65, but I'll make them myself and they'll be one piece rather than two under each track.

1708954236846.png

Thanks, I will definitely take advantage of the extra inch. Those brakets look interesting too.

Do you want the seat to be lower, or do you want the seat to be further back?

Yes there are 3 mounting holes for the bottom track mount, the factory put the bolts through the center hole. But I still don't know what's more important to you - having the seat go further back or having the seat lower.

I move them back and raise the front. That lowers my butt and lifts the front, improving leg support.

I upgraded my original manual bench seat frame to power bench frame
The seat does sit up a few inches taller with the power bench frame.
I am 5ft 8" average height and with the bench down all the way I still bump my head getting in/ out of the car.
So going power you will not benefit from it.

boab september 2017 005.JPG

Here's a set of the adjustable tracks...they were picked off a 65 to 68 Fury over 20 yrs ago so I can't swear exactly what they came off...I have the opposite problem, short wife...going to try to rig these on drivers bucket eventually...there should be 4 small spacers between the bracket and the floor...removing those might get you another 1/2 inch lower

0302241118.jpg

Last edited:
Back