68 Town and Country Reverse Lights

Julesva5

Reaction score
All - I'm loving this wagon as I knew I would. As I continue to sort through what's not working I'm now going to tackle the backup lights. Does anyone know where the reverse light switch sits? I found one on eBay that looks like it would collar the steering column, but when I look up under there I see nothing. I also don't see an obvious fuse for them. Thanks for the help!

Town and Country 4.jpg

The rest of us are loving this wagon, too. Guess the obvious question would be whether (or not, hopefully) the back-up light switch is different for a wagon than for other C-bodies...........

Absolutely stunning wagon! IIRC the only difference in reverse light switches are automatic or manual transmission. Double check your fuse block. I'm looking at my color coded wiring diagram for my '68 Fury and I see a white wire coming from the fuse block to the b/u light switch and then a purple wire from the b/u switch to the rear of the car to a plug for the rear lights of the car. Do you have a factory service manual? If not, get one. They can be a big help for this or any other job you need to do on your wagon. Keep us posted.

Absolutely stunning wagon! IIRC the only difference in reverse light switches are automatic or manual transmission. Double check your fuse block. I'm looking at my color coded wiring diagram for my '68 Fury and I see a white wire coming from the fuse block to the b/u light switch and then a purple wire from the b/u switch to the rear of the car to a plug for the rear lights of the car. Do you have a factory service manual? If not, get one. They can be a big help for this or any other job you need to do on your wagon. Keep us posted.
Great thanks - I will take a look again. I am buying the service manual today! Hope to have that soon. When you say you see it going to the b/u switch, where is that located? Mine is an automatic car, and I presume there is something activated when I put it into reverse via the column. Anyone have a pic of where it is?

I just looked at my FSM and it is just the diagram, not a picture. The color of the wire you are looking for is violet. That is the color designated in the service manual. Get under the dash and look for the violet wires and go form there.

I just looked at my FSM and it is just the diagram, not a picture. The color of the wire you are looking for is violet. That is the color designated in the service manual. Get under the dash and look for the violet wires and go form there.
super thanks!

Come to think of it, it MAY be a separate switch for automatic w/auto-pilot, it would be a good idea to check the parts manual.

I see nothing in the parts book to indicate that automatic wagons are anything different.............. Unless it has a console

2631039.jpg

The switch may simply be missing.

Alan

The fuse might be shared with the radio or wipers and would be labeled /BU or something like that.

Alan

One thought, did you put a meter on the reverse light sockets themselves to confirm there is/isn't voltage there? Bad ground can cause funky problems with lighting. I would want to work from there back. That way, if something killed the switch, you don't have a repeat.. Ask me how I know. : ) .. nice car!

One thought, did you put a meter on the reverse light sockets themselves to confirm there is/isn't voltage there? Bad ground can cause funky problems with lighting. I would want to work from there back. That way, if something killed the switch, you don't have a repeat.. Ask me how I know. : ) .. nice car!
I have not yet done that. Good idea for sure. I need to get one of my boys to help me with that.

If your wagon has the same switch as my ‘68 300 the reverse light switch straddles the base of the column just before heading through the fire wall. And as @MrMoparCHP notes above, the culprit is likely a missing little plastic finger that operates the switch when the gear selector is moved. The part is not easy to find. I tried my best to 3D print these things but never found a suitable material that could standup to the pressure the switch applies to it.

If your wagon has the same switch as my ‘68 300 the reverse light switch straddles the base of the column just before heading through the fire wall. And as @MrMoparCHP notes above, the culprit is likely a missing little plastic finger that operates the switch when the gear selector is moved. The part is not easy to find. I tried my best to 3D print these things but never found a suitable material that could standup to the pressure the switch applies to it.
I actually found one of those on eBay and bought it. The challenge I’m having is I can’t seem to see it anywhere on my steering column. Maybe it’s missing mine is a Saginaw steering column.

I actually found one of those on eBay and bought it. The challenge I’m having is I can’t seem to see it anywhere on my steering column. Maybe it’s missing mine is a Saginaw steering column.
It is way, way down at the base of the column and sits on the top. The switch straddles the top and the pin sits straight up.

I essentially did all the work by feel to get that working

Last edited:
Back