Question about tilt steering colum for '67 - '68 Dodge Monaco / Polara

@MoPar~Man now is the time to test the turn signal switch while the steering wheel is off.
With a multi meter do continuity tests on all circuits.
The TS switch for tilt/ tele are not cheap and hard to find.
Best to find out now before putting the top end together.
As an owner of a 67 with tilt, I know. Lol

Very true. If it's an earlier non- collapsing column, the switch is WAY easier to deal with, as it's exterior to the column on the bottom.

Shee-Mar makes a 68 switch I believe.

I've just checked the mechanical action (engage and return) of the turn switch, it operates fine. Will check the electrical function later.

And yes, the rod was in there. It seems to be normally recessed in the hole by about an inch. I held the column upside down, had to tap the shaft a few times for it to drop out:

rod.jpg

A featureless rod, flat on both ends. 4.25" long. Is this correct?

The center hole in the shaft - the hole is threaded on the inside. I assume an ordinary bolt or grub screw put there would suffice to apply force to the rod and lock the shaft from extending if so desired?

Oh, I really would like to know if an un-extended steering wheel would have the same distance from the dashboard as a non-TT steering wheel.

Another view:

113.jpg

This screws in at that point.
IMG_7102.jpeg
IMG_7101.jpeg

A little off topic - is this a '68 (regular) steering wheel, with a '67 center cap? I mean, I know it's a '67 cap, I thought it changed in '68. But it seems to fit the chrome horn ring (which is slightly altered vs the '67 ring, is missing the extension tips on the ends). I like the '67 ring better, is the wheel itself is identical 67 - 68?

It did change in 68, but only on 68s manufactured AFTER Jan 1 of 68, when the changes regarding safer centre caps were implemented. I believe the wheel is otherwise identical.

This is a full pic of the TT column I have:

tt-column.jpg

I guess it's a solid column? Not safety (no mesh?). Would this confirm it was a '67 column. Would '68 definately have a mesh outer tube?

I note that the non-TT original column in my '67 Monaco is the mesh / safety column. When it comes to the TT columns - did they ever put a safety TT column in any '67 C-body?

It's too bad this isn't a safety column. Makes me think twice if I want to put it in.

I am not sure - columns installed in 67s prior to Jan 1, 1967 may have not been collapsible. Not sure when that started.

AFAIK, the 67/68 columns are otherwise identical,so it could be that the column was swapped out at some point if collapsibles came in Jan 1, 68...

It could have been due to a repair or an owner upgrade from a non-T&T column at some point.

There would be know way to know if a T&T is original to the car unless one could see the build sheet.

Last edited:
The mesh part would be covered tightly by a plastic shield. Another difference is that in ‘67 there was still a lot of bright shiny chrome surfaces in front of the driver and in ‘68 everything was either painted or went satin finish.

The mesh part would be covered tightly by a plastic shield.

Yes!

I peeled the plastic cover open a little - and the mesh was under it! So project TT-Column is back on!

I'm going to try this:

tt-mod-1.jpg

TT-mod-2.jpg

Why wouldn't that work?

Very interesting! I am intrigued, and there's no reason why that centre ornament couldn't hold a long enough bolt to press down on the rod to engage the telescope's clutches. How do you propose to mount the wheel? Does it fit the shaft's spline? You will also need the collar (lower cover) that goes behind the wheel assembly - it slides back and forth on whole tilt assembly - it will need some sort of arrangement to mount cleanly to the back side of the wheel.

I'm going to have to figure out how to pull the steering wheel off the column. I must have did it once upon a time way back. Next time I'm at the car I'll bring some pullers and putz with it. The ring and ornament in the above photos are spares that I have in the basement. Yes, the bolt needs to be the right length, and I'll have to modify the tangs on the ornament so they don't catch on the ring so the ornament is free to turn. And yes, an extension cover would still be necessary (for appearance). A tin can would practically work.

I recommend getting the correct wheel fot the TT column.
The non tilt wheel has a deep dish to it whereas the TT wheel is almost flat.
Flat so you can adust the wheel in and out.
You will end up having the column all the way in with the non tilt wheel which defeats the purpose.

I recommend getting the correct wheel fot the TT column.
The non tilt wheel has a deep dish to it whereas the TT wheel is almost flat.
Flat so you can adust the wheel in and out.
You will end up having the column all the way in with the non tilt wheel which defeats the purpose.
I agree but I am all about seeing if he can make this happen and how it works.

Back