69 Chrysler Steering Arm Removal

MJFUR

Reaction score
As usual, I need some help. Trying to replace the steering box, everything is disconnected. Must I find/buy the proper Mopar tool to pull/remove the steering arm or is there another way with typical garage tools?
Car is currently on the ground. Should car be lifted with front suspension unloaded to do this job?

Secondly, is this lower shaft coupling a wear item? Should it slide off? I'm feeling some resistance, is there a roll pin in this as well? Where can I find the new rubber cap seal that is on it?

Thx

IMG_8075.JPG

A small gear puller or pickle fork to remove the pitman arm from the linkage. However I remember finding it more difficult to remove the pitman arm from the steering box after it was removed. The bolt is torqued to 150 foot pounds and was a very large nut, I had to buy a large impact socket, and even then holding the box steady and trying to remove the nut on the ground with the impact wrench was tricky. You might want to leave it bolted to the frame to remove the nut and arm.

You should buy new guts for the coupler and it can be rebuilt. It should just slide off the shaft, there are no other roll pins holding it on.

Curious, why are you replacing the box?

Back